Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2007 Audi Q7 4.2 S Line MMI Not Working!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

This is ridiculous. why did Audi charge you?
their design flaw blew your amp.
I just fixed the drain plugs on mine and posted about it.
Everyone should check their wheel well. NOT if the amp is wet, it leaks on either side eventually both. all the water will collected in the spare tire. I had 10+ gallons of water in there.
There should be a lawsuit started over this.
You just paid $2500 because audi doesnt understand how a Funnel works. you dont gravity feed water ONTO a tube you drain it INTO a tube. its fluid dynamics for dummies.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, i had this same thing happen to my 08 Q7 s-line . turns out that liquid of some sort got in to the mmi controls. kind of a bad location for such sensitive controls, none the less if you are savy, you can take the control for the mmi out and take the cover off, clean it well with alcohol and let dry, reinstall and all should be good. search on you tube and there are videos that show exactly how to remove clean and re-install this. i did it and mine has worked problem free for 9 months now. way better than 1800 for a new one and programming that only audi can do. need anymore info hit me up. hope this helps
Old 05-31-2017, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rainman39
Hello, i had this same thing happen to my 08 Q7 s-line . turns out that liquid of some sort got in to the mmi controls. kind of a bad location for such sensitive controls, none the less if you are savy, you can take the control for the mmi out and take the cover off, clean it well with alcohol and let dry, reinstall and all should be good. search on you tube and there are videos that show exactly how to remove clean and re-install this. i did it and mine has worked problem free for 9 months now. way better than 1800 for a new one and programming that only audi can do. need anymore info hit me up. hope this helps
you got lucky im guessing your components were just being shorted out by the water. what water damage does is causes shorts between circuits and then starts oxidizing the metal creating white powder spots. this level of water damage is pretty much not fixable as the metal is corroded away.
you dont mention you fixed the sunroiof drain, the liquid is not of some sort its water getting past their insanely dumb tube inside coupler design.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default MMI intermittent

Hello everyone!

I just bought a used Q7 that seemed to have a similar scenario as most Q7 owners. When I bought it, the MMI system was broken. They had just replaced the circuit board under the MMI controls since previous owner had spilled coffee. They also told me they were replacing the amp as there was only one speaker working. All this was fixed as agreed and truck was great. It rained like hell for 2 days when I bought the truck. A week later MMI trouble started.

Found this forum and awesome Audi community! First audi our family ever bought BTW... and was made made aware of all these issues related to sunroof drain hose issues. I checked the spare tire bay and noticed the water at the bottom. Brought it to the garage. Drained the hoses (Was not bought from an audi dealer BTW) and was told they were clear.

By this time the MMI had started to go again. Screen stays on for 18 sec and turns off. No lights on the MMI control panel. No audio. No time clock on the screen. 2 days of this... Then MMI screen shows digital clock at the bottom... Everything works like a charm. Works for 4 days or so with only issues being audio would cut out from anywhere between 5 to 20 seconds and be OK for the next 10 min or so until it did it again... I am now back at the dead 18 sec MMI screen.

At this point its going back to get verified. I'm just wondering with all I have read. And if they can't do anything for me for free since I have about another 2 weeks before it's all up to me. If the amp or mmi board needs replacing after that last shot of rain... Or perhaps the fiber connections or Bluetooth module is to blame this time? I'm about to rip up the back to check out the amp myself. Amp boards go for 300-400 on ebay. MMI boards for 100 and Bluetooth modules for 200. Not sure about possible cause of a draining battery as well could be why it is doing this?

I'm gonna probably end up fixing the hoses myself at one point but I'll have to cover that amp until then. There hasn't been any rain since.

Thanks to the community for all your help
Old 08-05-2019, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MMI went bad replaced for $45

You can get MMI board online $45
The following users liked this post:
Jen Westmore (02-07-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 12:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2009 Q7 - same issue!

Originally Posted by rainman39

Can you walk me through taking off the cover & reinstalling to cleaning with alcohol??
Old 02-07-2021, 12:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Mmicrazy
You can get MMI board online $45
where did you buy it for $45?