Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2010 Q7 3.0 TDI - AdBlue NOT Topped Off at Delivery

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 2010 Q7 3.0 TDI - AdBlue NOT Topped Off at Delivery

I took delivery of my new 2010 Q7 3.0 TDI 3-1/2 weeks and 2,000 miles ago. Yesterday I picked up a 2.5 gallon container of the AdBlue/DEF from the dealer; and was able to add the entire container to the AdBlue port with room remaining for more.

The car will not (better not) use that much AdBlue in such a small number of miles; so the obvious conclusion is that the dealer didn't bother to top it off prior to delivery.

That's strike two against this dealer. I've heard negatives elsewhere before on this dealer's service. Looks like I need to see what else may be available for when I really need it.

Last edited by DUTCH VanAtlanta; 06-26-2010 at 05:21 AM.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

keep us posted..
Old 06-26-2010, 02:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by anahuac
keep us posted..
What's to keep posted? It was delivered unfilled. I filled it. Bad dealer service. Will use a different dealer for future service. End of story.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

might want to double check your opinion of the adblue tank and your owners manual. I understand there to be 2 tanks, the main tank under the car and the satelite (emergency) tank between the fuel filler door and the main tank. Audi owners do not have the ability to fill the main take as this is government mandated.

what prompted you to fill the emergency tank? Did you get a message saying to add addblue? If not, you added adblue for no reason...
Old 06-26-2010, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by rjspitz
might want to double check your opinion of the adblue tank and your owners manual. I understand there to be 2 tanks, the main tank under the car and the satelite (emergency) tank between the fuel filler door and the main tank. Audi owners do not have the ability to fill the main take as this is government mandated.

what prompted you to fill the emergency tank? Did you get a message saying to add addblue? If not, you added adblue for no reason...
Lots of myths around here.

There are no government mandates about filling the AdBlue tank. If there were, how can Mercedes-Benz and VW (parent of Audi) allow owners to refill the DEF tank?

Per techs at three different dealers, the dealers fill the main tank through the same port.

The reason it was added was to fill the tank and stay ahead of the warning messages and the need to readapt the level sensor.

Last edited by DUTCH VanAtlanta; 06-26-2010 at 06:28 AM.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I do believe your TDI was also cheated by you...You also did not top her off. Maybe someone can confirm that 1 gallon of adblue will take you approximately 1000 miles, thats what the stealership told me. You did drive 2,000 miles. So maybe you used up 2 gallons...then maybe your adblue tank was only cheated by half gallon. Hopefully you can reset the adblue system yourself.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...8#post23976588

Good luck
Old 06-26-2010, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hopefully you can reset the adblue system yourself.

Good luck
Dealer tech told me that they add 2.5 gallons of DEF at every 10,000 mile service, and do not readapt the level system.

I guess we'll see what we shall see. That 2.5 gallons of DEF cost me $13.50. The dealer charges $100 to fill or top off the AdBlue tank which holds a total of 6 gallons. You do the math.

What is it about Audi owners that they seem to be so averse to doing their own maintenance?
Old 06-26-2010, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I do believe your TDI was also cheated by you...You also did not top her off. Maybe someone can confirm that 1 gallon of adblue will take you approximately 1000 miles, thats what the stealership told me.
Good luck
Another myth.

From the Audi AdBlue brochure. It says that the tank must be topped off beginning with the 15,000 mile maintenance interval. 15,000 miles divided by 6 gallons indicates approximately 2,500 miles per gallon.

If my AdBlue tank had been properly topped off by the dealer at delivery, I should have been able to only add one (1) gallon or less.

Last edited by DUTCH VanAtlanta; 06-26-2010 at 06:29 AM.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Done the math and my conclusion remains the same. Hope you can reset the adblue computer or else you will be sorry for not purchasing the audi care package. I work on every car I own and there's a reason why I own 2 Merecedes Benz (every mechanical part is rebuildable). I have never taken any of my cars to a stealership. Stealership techs are part swappers. Even with computers and sensors (sensors being the techs assistant) techs can only guess. Lets agree on one thing... if the adblue system was designed to be tamper proof, why position the adblue fill port next to the diesel fill up port. Why can we add a few gallons of adblue in an emergency? Sounds like a business to me. Customer unfriendly in my opinion. I wrote to Audi about this and got no reply. I contacted Motorweek and hope they will mention the adblue treatment in the future. Mercedes and BMW is an example of customer friendly diesel vehicles. I still want a Q7 TDI.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Was shown the tool that tops the full lower tank. The user level jugs will not fill main tank. The audi service connector goes further in from what I saw and bypasses top tank. So only Audi can fill the main tank. I had an adblue message a year ago after my first service and was one of the first in the US to hit the problem of the system needing reset even if full. I watched them drain and refill, it is different than the bottles you buy over the parts counter.

Quick Reply: 2010 Q7 3.0 TDI - AdBlue NOT Topped Off at Delivery