Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2011 Q7 TDI software update

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 04:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Q7 TDI software update

I ordered a Q7 TDI at the end of Jan. I was told by both dealer and AOA that it was going to take 90 days from when the car was pulled by Audi. Then in the middle of waiting (March) I was told Audi is not going to produce anymore 2010 and my q7 would come in as a 2011 the issue was they could not tell me the date it would be ready. My order was pulled and was told my car would arrive at the port in San Diego on July 16 and the car would be ready for delivery the week of July 26.

Today upon contacting the dealer to see if we were on track I was told that even though the car is at the port the car needs a software update and wont be ready for delivery until the 2nd week of Aug.

This is my first Audi and I am now having second thoughts about taking delivery of this car.

Couple of my concerns:

AOA nor the dealer were able to tell me the changes that were going to be made to the 2011. What the options were, if the packages were going to change, what the price would be.

I was originally told when I placed the order I could make a change about two weeks after the order was pulled. I was on the fence abut the adaptive suspension (did not order). Once the order was pulled I found out nothing could be changed. When I asked about placing a new order I was told it would be another 6 months since the dealer had already used all its allocation.

I have been in a rental car that is costing 1,000 a month for two months . I think AOA would have better communication with its customers. Is this the way I am going to be treated once the car is delivered?

Our other car is a lexus the service is unbelievable. Every time we take the car in for service we get a loaner car. The services are cheap compared.to the volvo I am replacing with the Audi. Not to mention all the snacks they have in the waiting area.

Any repeat Audi owners who can give me your thoughts?

Anyone know what the software update is?

Thanks
Old 07-22-2010, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You are the first to mention. My guess; quite likely to be on the new 8 speed transmission.
Your wait was unlucky timing and not typical of Audi. I agree its too much, perhaps they will meet some of your waiting costs since they did not warn you of delay. You will just be lucky if you do get compensation.
However I think you will find the car is worth the wait. Let us know how you get on once it finally arrives.
PS please also report on the update if you find out what that is all about.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Are there any 2011 q7 TDI on the road yet? Maybe they might figure out what the update is. Getting information out of AOA or the dealer is next to impossiable. I was able to the pricing here before the dealer had it.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"audiotron2002" took delivery on July 16. So far that's it!
Old 07-23-2010, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I took delivery of the first 4.2 FSI premium in Central FL after a long wait, since I followed the Q7 testing since 2005.
Service has been excellent and it was worth waiting for. My Q7 is 49 months and 51,000 miles and still enjoying driving it.
Be patient and good luck
Old 07-29-2010, 08:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Howie2
I ordered a Q7 TDI at the end of Jan. I was told by both dealer and AOA that it was going to take 90 days from when the car was pulled by Audi. Then in the middle of waiting (March) I was told Audi is not going to produce anymore 2010 and my q7 would come in as a 2011 the issue was they could not tell me the date it would be ready. My order was pulled and was told my car would arrive at the port in San Diego on July 16 and the car would be ready for delivery the week of July 26.

Today upon contacting the dealer to see if we were on track I was told that even though the car is at the port the car needs a software update and wont be ready for delivery until the 2nd week of Aug.

This is my first Audi and I am now having second thoughts about taking delivery of this car.

Couple of my concerns:

AOA nor the dealer were able to tell me the changes that were going to be made to the 2011. What the options were, if the packages were going to change, what the price would be.

I was originally told when I placed the order I could make a change about two weeks after the order was pulled. I was on the fence abut the adaptive suspension (did not order). Once the order was pulled I found out nothing could be changed. When I asked about placing a new order I was told it would be another 6 months since the dealer had already used all its allocation.

I have been in a rental car that is costing 1,000 a month for two months . I think AOA would have better communication with its customers. Is this the way I am going to be treated once the car is delivered?

Our other car is a lexus the service is unbelievable. Every time we take the car in for service we get a loaner car. The services are cheap compared.to the volvo I am replacing with the Audi. Not to mention all the snacks they have in the waiting area.

Any repeat Audi owners who can give me your thoughts?

Anyone know what the software update is?

Thanks
Update.
Today I called AoA and asked the status of my car. I find it annoying that every time I call AoA all they want to do is call the dealer. If I could get information from the dealer I would not being calling AoA.

So when I was done I called the dealer and Spoke with the GM. At first he tried to say the car was stuck in customs and that was not so uncommon. I said I was told the car was waiting for at the port for a software update, again not so uncommon according the the GM. I explained that I ordered a 65,000 car not a ford fiesta and thought that Audi and them needed to think about there customer service.

I explained I had been in a rental for months at 1,000 a month. I was starting to wounder if I was ever going to get the car.
I also told him that before I decided on the Audi I had looked at the Lexus and they offered me a loaner car while I waited for the Special order Lexus to show up. That got his attention.

Instead I ordered an audi and now have a 4 to 5 thousand dollar rental car bill. We will talk again Tuesday because he wants to research the issues.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is really interesting, thanks for spilling it to us. I've got my fingers crossed for you, keep us updated.

(FYI, every time I've called AOA, its always three working days till they are able to get back to me.)

Last edited by arU4ic; 07-29-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see why Audi would have any obligation to compensate for rental charges due to delivery delays unless there is a contract signed with a specified delivery date or window. If there was, was there a compensation clause for missing the target date? I have an allocation on "order" and other than the salesman putting my name against it, there is no commitment by either party. They could sell it out from under me, or I can choose to walk away. Not a penny of risk between the two of us.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The issue is that no one really is telling me anything. Hard to get the true Story. When the car was ordered I was told 3 months, that turned to 5 months, then 5 months has turned to 6. In order for me to order the car I had to pay a down payment.

When I ordered my last car I never had to contact the dealer they always kept me up to date as to where the car was. Then when the ship with my car on it sank the manufacture called explained what had happend asked if I wanted to make any changes because my car had to be remade.

We all know the dealer could have at least gotten a discount on a rental car. No offer. Hey for 6 grand I could have gotten somewhat decent used car for six months but with out any information its hard to know what to do.

Lets face it if money was an issue I would not have ordered this car.

The issue is Audi nor the dealer is telling me anything.

your right they might even sell it right out from under me.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just stopped by Audi dealer this Saturday afternoon. 2 2011 TDIs in the showroom ready for pickup. All 2011 Q7s are presold for months ahead. They have a 2010 3.6 left.

Quick Reply: 2011 Q7 TDI software update