Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2012 Q7 Roof Box Solution?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 04:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Q7 Roof Box Solution?

Just had a third kid, and boy, does the trunk in the Q7 shrink really quickly when you use all or half of the third row all the time! Looking at trading in the vehicle for something bigger, but I like it so much I thought I would look into a roof box but I don't know the first thing about them.

First off, I keep my car in an underground garage, so I guess there are height considerations that I have to think of with the Q7?

Also, I would only need the roof box on weekends and for trips, so would I leave it on the car all the time? Is it safe to drive around with an empty roof box or do you have to take it down each time? Storing the box would be a real drag since I live in an apartment building - it's not like I can just take it off the car and leave the box in the garage when not in use. How easy is it to install one of things, and is it the kind of thing I could do solo?

With respect to the sun roof and rear moon roof (i think) are there some rails that are known to work and provide enough clearance, or do I have to accept that I lose the sun roof once the rails are on?

I am sure there are a bunch of questions that I don't even know enough to ask, but hopefully there are some here that can lend a hand and some advice.

Thanks!
Old 11-12-2012, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Either go OEM Audi or Thule roof rail feet. I believe I read that Yakima attachments don't work too well. Regarding the cargo box, most of them can fit the roof of your car. You usually won't open your moonroof when you have the box above, however, if your the feet are tall enough, you might have clearance to still open them. The cargo boxes can be purchased from REI or http://genuineaudiparts.com/partloca...subcat1=157208

There is no issue to keep the box on the car permanently. It might cause some wind drag or noise inside the cabin. Keeping it empty does not hurt either. (My brother does this with his cargo box all the time during the winter on his minivan.)

You just need to remember that you have a roof box on when you go into height limiting garages.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Maybe consider a hitch mount storage box.

http://www.prolineracks.com/thule-66...o-carrier.html
Old 11-13-2012, 09:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks both. Don't think I can do the trailer hitch mount, as I don't have tow package on my Q7.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have a 2012 Q7 with the Yakima bars, which are a bit lower than the OEM Audi bars. We use it with a Thule Atlantis 1600 box. When we travel and unpack, we drive around with it on (and empty). There are no issues with doing this, but it might impact your mileage a bit. I am able to install and remove the box by myself (I typically balance it on the top of my head when sliding it on/off the Q7).
It's about 5 minutes to put on or take off and you will may want a step stool to make it easier. We leave our Yakima cross bars on all of the time. We love the box but I always put a chair in front of my garage whenever we use the box so that I don't inadvertently crash it into the top of the garage door (it's too tall to fit).