Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2012 Q7 TDI - In shop from almost day 1!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Q7 TDI - In shop from almost day 1!

Just thought I would share to get some opinions on what others would do when faced with similar situation.

I will try to stay on point and keep brief but the story goes like this - Traded in my 2009 Q7 for a new 2012 TDI Friday 9/2, drove out of the lot and immediately heard a knock coming from what sounded like the passenger door or thereabouts. Drove it approximate 4 miles to my home, dropped off my wife and immediately took it back to the dealer. A Service tech then took the car and drove it and confirmed he was hearing the same thing. It being minutes before Labor Day they suggested I use it for the weekend and on Tuesday they would come pick up, plus drop off a loaner. That's the last I have seen of it. After approximately 3 days and numerous reports of them trying to identify the noise I decided to involve Audi America. This morning brings news that they think it could be a "weld issue" and/our something pertaining to the roof. They are having it sent to a "Certified" body shop under the watchful eye of a Corp Service Tech to find if its a "weld point" that needs attention.

I have already started to bang the drum in terms of wanting a new car, etc, but in reality I am not sure how this will play out. I LOVED my 2009 Q7 and believe in the brand but how AA deals with this is certain to alter the course of my opinion.

Since this forum is filled with other who share my love for the product, how would any of you handle things? Opinions would be welcome!
Old 09-12-2011, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This sucks. Sorry. I know I would be pissed. Sounds like a legitimate argument to demand a new replacement car. The only problem is that Q7's are in short supply, especially the TDI, so if they do end up replacing the car, it might be a while before another one is ready for delivery. Hope things work out for you...
Old 09-12-2011, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I dont think the supply is anything to do with the issue. Lets wait and see what the problem is first.
That said if its poor welding of the frame tell them to take it back and drive it on German roads! They dont even allow crash repairs on their roads. You see streams of them on trailers heading to Eastern Europe.
Difficult times for you jcbrgp.
Just my opinion here.. If some part wasnt tightened during assembly fine. If a drain pipe is rattling because a bracket wasnt spot welded, fine. If any part of the body shell, structure or frame wasnt welded properly hell no! How could you ever know the rest of them were done right. The details of this are critical.

They are entitled to this time to try to find out what the problem is, after that Audi has been pretty good so far about doing the right thing, even if it seems slow to us.

Lemon Laws vary State to State, I am sure it wont come to that but no harm in reading up before you start making demands. A little patience will go a long way right now.

Please keep us posted. This thread goes on the records whatever the outcome
BTW Air suspension? Any details on your previous model?
Old 09-13-2011, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks so much for weighing in on this matter!!

No question that at this point in my life I truly believe patience and cool heads prevail. I also agree that if this is structural they can keep it. Getting to that point will no doubt be arduous but I will allow them the time to determine without going nuclear! I so want to believe Audi does the right thing!

As a side note for the 15 minutes or so that I had the car it was OUTSTANDING!

Compared to the 3.6 I previously had the TDI works the hills like a champ. The torque of that engine is definitely present when hauling around my area which varies up and down frequently. Interior wise we picked up the Cold and Warm package in the new car. The one gripe I had about the old one was it got way too hot in the back without separate climate, coupled with the black leather...the kids were always complaining about being too hot. In terms of features we pretty much got everything except the Suspension and Cruise/Lane avoidance. These were absent on my previous so I did not think I would miss much. The other bit of gadgetry I was impressed with was the Audi Connect with Google Maps. Having a actual aerial picture on the Nav screen is mesmerizing and I have to say its so cool you have to make sure to pay attention where it counts...the road! The other features of AC are just ok..news is very limited, weather is straight forward...The gas price feature could come in handy and the traffic I have yet to really test.
Fit and finish (Aside from the loud knocking over bumps in my particular instance) was as you would expect from Audi...perfect!

I will definitely keep the boards posted to help others should something similar come their way!
Old 09-13-2011, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jcbrgp
In terms of features we pretty much got everything except the Suspension and Cruise/Lane avoidance. These were absent on my previous so I did not think I would miss much.
I also skipped the air suspension but opted for the active cruise. After a couple long trips through the mountains I am very impressed with this option. In the past using cruise control meant constantly adjusting speed, braking, re-setting, accelerating, etc. Now it truly is set and forget. Made the trips MUCH more enjoyable.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, indeed, patience won the war for my replacement... be friendly but firm with everyone... most importantly be calm. If they don't seem to be moving, contact BBB along with your AA claim.

BUT, you might have to wait months for a replacement sadly.

I can't imagine they missed a critical weld point (like on the frame), but a draining coming lose, maybe possible.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 09-14-2011, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

They have had your car for a week and a half and can't figure out where the noise is coming from? This would scare me. On the other hand, it took my dealer months to resolve my leaking S/R issue and now it is fine. Good luck!
Old 09-16-2011, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I recently had a situation with my 2011 Q7 TDI when returning from a family vacation in GA heading back home to MI. I was in Chatanooga, TN and start experiencing power loss and the vehicle would not accelerate pass 40mgh going uphill. My car is basically still new with only 10K miles on it! I notified roadside assistance immediately and they were very helpful. They got my family and i set-up in a vehicle and towed my car to the nearest dealership. I was pissed because i had to leave my car in TN. This happened on a Sunday and Labor day was the next day. That Tuesday i contacted AA and they were very pleasant to work with until we starting dicussing getting me reunited with my vehicle. They initiially informed me that i would need to foot the bill for getting the car back to MI. i immediately asked my customer service rep for a supervisor. The supervisor called me back a couple of days later and completely resolved the issue and stepped up to the plate. They picked up the entire bill with no out of pocket cost and my vehicle was delivered last night to my door step from TN! Kudos to AA for recognizing who is the customer!!!
Old 09-17-2011, 03:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome aboard. What was the problem in your case dstud?
Old 09-18-2011, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I had a 3 inch crack in a pipe leading to the turbo which prohibited the turbo from spooling and keeping the car from accelerating.

Quick Reply: 2012 Q7 TDI - In shop from almost day 1!