Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2012 TDI: Is This Oil Leak Grounds for Warranty Repair?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2021, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tamcphail
I'm taking my 2013 tdi in tomorrow. Got 116k miles but I'm covered from the extended warranty until 122k. You think there's any way they can deny the service if it's obvious it's leaking?
I don't think they will necessarily deny service, but it sounds like they will need to reproduce evidence of the leak. If it truly is obvious, you would be fine. But if its a slow leak of some sort, they may deny service at the time. They kept my car for 3 days to reproduce leak. But also mentioned if I found evidence of reproduced leak on my own at a later date, that would be taken into account. So you need to consider how evidence will be gathered to reproduce the leak over some measureable amount of time
Old 10-01-2021, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll crawl under tonight and look but there are 3-4 decent sized oil leaks on the garage floor. So I can't imagine it being all that hard to find...in a perfect world. haha
Old 10-01-2021, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 568 Likes on 450 Posts

Depends on the dealer and the service advisor you get, roll of the dice, mine I called up and told em what I saw over the phone and they said they'd fixed several of those and it was very likely it would be covered before I even brought it in.. other dealers seem to threaten users with potentially mega bills if they rip into it and its something else or try to kick the can off because they simply dont want to do this job.

There's a TSB for this issue, if you got oil pooling at the bottom of the gearbox bell housing it "should" be covered, how easy that will be for you is anyone's guess.
Old 10-01-2021, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Maybe more than just oil...
Old 10-02-2021, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

It's covered! They're gonna fix the rear seal when the engine table opens up.
The following users liked this post:
dreadlocks (10-02-2021)
Old 06-22-2024, 12:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Audi Q7 Tdi

Not sure if this is a good place to drop this in. Having problems trying to start a new thread. Any body have any experience changing an oil pan on a 2012 Audi Q7 Tdi?
Old 06-26-2024, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2012Q7204
I've had the rear main seal leak, timing chain cover leaks and the upper crankcase leaks (2X). My engine has been out 4X total all covered by Audi thankfully even though I had no warranty (covered as mgfr defects). Well the dealer was on the hook for the last 2 times anyway since they apparently didn't perform the repairs properly. Last time they changed the chain and all the guides while they were in there which was fantastic. I knew it should be done but didn't want to push my luck and to my surprise they did it anyway. Long story short these motors tend to develop a lot of leaks as they age but like others have mentioned I wouldn't do any of this of it wasn't covered for free and just add oil then get rid of the car.
You note your timing chain cover leaks were covered under warranty (dieselgate?). If so, do you have some documentation you might be able to send me? I've got a 2015 with 45k on it and a leaking rear timing cover gasket and they are claiming no warranty on it.
The following users liked this post:
-Wes- (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 09:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 764 Likes on 632 Posts
Default Learn How To Play the TDI Warranty Game

Originally Posted by Liamfmvt
You note your timing chain cover leaks were covered under warranty (dieselgate?). If so, do you have some documentation you might be able to send me? I've got a 2015 with 45k on it and a leaking rear timing cover gasket and they are claiming no warranty on it.
If the dealership denies your valid warranty claim (TDI extended warranty), which is an extremely common sales tactic, then you have to go directly to the responsible party as relates to the warranty enforcement actions (Audi USA/North America)...otherwise the dealership is just gonna continue to jerk you around and try to wear you down to sign on the dotted line accepting financial responsibility, etc.

I've wasted a lot of time escalating up through the dealerships management layers; it never got me anywhere. I always had to call and open a dispute case with 'big Audi', as they are the ones liable if the warranty terms are not enforced. You definitely want to learn the exact details of that warranty document and commit them to memory. There are also specific pre-authorized parts lists for the TDI warranty that will help open your eyes about how extensive the coverage really is.