Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2013 Q7 - 3.0T or TDI?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Q7 - 3.0T or TDI?

Hello,

My first post here and glad I found this forum. I am planning to get the 2013 Q7 but am trying to decide between the 3.0T and the TDI engine. I have not own a diesel engine car before so have no knowledge on it other than better mpg compared to the 3.0T. But in comparing the specifications, the difference is only 3 miles per gallon. Are there any other advantages that I am missing? Thanks.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

TDI if you are towing or always hauling a ton of people. both are great engines.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Personal choice. Diesels are great but I found the one in the Q7 just too underpowered IMHO (and yes, I know I will get flamed by the TDI owners, it is just IMHO) so went for the S 333 as it makes the car more of a sports SUV rather than just a family hauler. If we could get teh V8 diesel that would be a no-brainer. So depends really what you want from it and what your driving MO is. the 3.0T tows very well too.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

3.0t s-line otherwise it is underpowered, tdi if you have long commutes or long distance driving in your future... if neither are appealing 4.2L. i searched high and low to find the exact 4.2 i wanted. TWICE. i think it is the best pairing for this platform.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by scotskier
Personal choice. Diesels are great but I found the one in the Q7 just too underpowered IMHO (and yes, I know I will get flamed by the TDI owners, it is just IMHO) so went for the S 333 as it makes the car more of a sports SUV rather than just a family hauler. If we could get teh V8 diesel that would be a no-brainer. So depends really what you want from it and what your driving MO is. the 3.0T tows very well too.
Scotskier, what have you been towing? My parents have been looking for a replacement for their Lexus GX470. On rare occasions, I borrow it to tow my Malibu VLX, about 4000 lbs. Usually use my buddy's RAM pickup. But overall, I think they are looking for something updated, good 3rd row seating, and the better MPG is a plus. They like my S5, so I thought Q7 was the way to go.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

i'm sure the 3.0T is decent for towing, but i'm sure that an extra 100+ ft. lbs. doesn't hurt.

i would agree that for general cruising, the TDI feels underpowered.

who needs the V8 TDI? screw that, bring over the V12!
Old 05-02-2012, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by yellojello
Scotskier, what have you been towing? My parents have been looking for a replacement for their Lexus GX470. On rare occasions, I borrow it to tow my Malibu VLX, about 4000 lbs. Usually use my buddy's RAM pickup. But overall, I think they are looking for something updated, good 3rd row seating, and the better MPG is a plus. They like my S5, so I thought Q7 was the way to go.
Don't need to pull heavy stuff too often but as an example, with a 911 cabriolet on a uhaul trailer (combined weight ~ 5750#) ,- it pulled over the Sierras (~8000') with no problems, hardly knew it was on the back, and could still accelerate up hill with no issues. A 4000# boat will be no issue at all, with either engine. Note also that the 333 S-line has 324 lb-ft v. 405 for the TDI. As i said earlier, I like diesels and have owned a number of them (first one in 1987) but unfortunately the 3.0TDI in the Q7 just didn't cut it for me. Highly recommend the adaptive air suspension as well, especially if you are towing
Old 05-03-2012, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by scotskier
I found the same thing. Before I ordered I drove a TDI Premium Plus and TFSI Prestige back to back and preferred the gas engine. Plus the way I was going to get it configured they were almost exactly the same price.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TDI

I own the TDI and drove a TFSI for two weeks while my TDI was in the shop, and for non-highway driving I prefer the TDI irrespective of mileage. In sport mode around town, the TDI feels quicker (which it isn't) and torquier (which it is) than the TFSI. The TFSI has much more pull at highway speeds and is better to drive on the highway, but of course that's where the mileage benefits of the TDI really kick in, offsetting the difference for me.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

The marginal fuel economy improvement of the TDI did not justify the significant performance penalty (city and highway) vs the 333hp TFSI engine. Both my wife and I significantly preferred the drivability of the high performance gasoline engine.

Quick Reply: 2013 Q7 - 3.0T or TDI?