Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2013 Q7 diesel Crank Pulley Failure at 47,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2021, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 568 Likes on 450 Posts

@968racer you should replace it before it leaves you stranded, you'll save money of a tow and shop hours for something that's rather easy to fix.. If you can change a belt you can replace this pulley and the belt.
Old 08-09-2021, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Do I need to replace the bolts too?
Old 08-09-2021, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

only if you wanna, I do not believe these are stretch bolts.. but if you chew up any of the heads taking em off then don't make it suck for the next guy.. changing the belt too is a good idea..
Old 08-09-2021, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche man
Do I need to replace the bolts too?
yup, they’re torque to yield.
Old 08-10-2021, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 764 Likes on 632 Posts
Default It's COVERED!!! ENOUGH ALREADY!!

Originally Posted by dreadlocks
Pulley is not covered, nor is the belt.. closest thing to the pulley covered by the extended emissions warranty is the front main crankshaft seal behind it..

If you tricked them into replacing it, good on you.. but its not covered by emissions warranty, never was.. attached is a list of what is covered, its not in it.. It would have been covered by the gap warranty and the original manufacturer warranty but those have looong since expired for every MK1 Q7 ever produced and has not been applicable since ~2018

Now if you have an aftermarket warranty, well then the terms of that are between you and your god for the most part.. that's meaningless to anyone but you.
I got independent confirmation from both my Audi dealer and also from Audi North America that the 'Harmonic Balancer' failure is covered under the "long block warranty". NO, they will not replace it for you until it is either visibly wobbling or has already failed, but it is covered. Please ask direct questions like I did rather than attempt to 'interpret' whether a specific item is covered by the dieselgate extended warranty. I interpreted that it was attached to the crank at the factory and therefore was a part of the long-block assembly; after researching the issue, both the dealership and big Audi agreed it is covered by the long-block warranty, and i have that in writing.
Old 08-10-2021, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by dreadlocks
I've never heard of a gasser crank failure on here, and if your powering a supercharger those things tend to be far more robustly built than us with just an aircon/alternator/steering.

however that engine is far more common in the sedans, and they could be having crank issues thats not popping up in this quiet sub.
I looked on my 2014 A6 TDI and this uses a different pulley (harmonic balancer). It's difficult to measure as the space is tighter but appears to be the same size. This one uses less rubber. Not sure if the bolt pattern or offset is different, but the MSRP is $761 USD. Part# 059105251CM

ECS has better pics but this is all I could find using an acceptable format. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...y/059105251cm/

Old 08-10-2021, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by '10Q7TDI_Prestige'
I got independent confirmation from both my Audi dealer and also from Audi North America that the 'Harmonic Balancer' failure is covered under the "long block warranty". NO, they will not replace it for you until it is either visibly wobbling or has already failed, but it is covered. Please ask direct questions like I did rather than attempt to 'interpret' whether a specific item is covered by the dieselgate extended warranty. I interpreted that it was attached to the crank at the factory and therefore was a part of the long-block assembly; after researching the issue, both the dealership and big Audi agreed it is covered by the long-block warranty, and i have that in writing.
yeah, hold onto that.. A long block does not include the accessory drive if you were to go buy one.. it'd not have the harmonic balancer on it, nor a flywheel.. a long block is the bottom end with a head on it and not much else.

When I went in for my oil leak they found the water pump leaking, was not covered under "long block warranty".. lucky for me it was not really water pump that was leaking but it was the EGR and that was emissions.

Ive seen posts here where thermostat failure was not under longblock, oil filter housing failing was not under longblock, valve cover gaskets leaking were not under longblock.. dude just had to pay out of pockets to have his timing chain guides all fixed while they were in doing other warranty work.. so timing chain guides are not long block, but a "harmonic balancer" is? eh.. dont count on this being covered, its not specifically outlined in the PDF I just posted and the vast majority of here will get absolutely nowhere wasting their time trying to convince em to cover this failure.
Old 08-10-2021, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2015 A4 Avant had pulley failure at 55k. Lucky not to do more damage. they are just rubbish quality. Third party part likely to last better!!!
Old 08-10-2021, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by '10Q7TDI_Prestige'
Just reached out to SA again to see if I can get it covered. Wobbly, or off the engine I can't wait for. I've already ordered pulley, belt and bolts and they will stay in the box until I get an answer. Hopefully ECS is good on returns. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 08-12-2021, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Got it installed pretty easy to
after one day of driving looked at it again and now it looks like this I wonder if anything's wrong
or if I could paint it to protect a little more
don't mind the screws I reuse the old ones

Quick Reply: 2013 Q7 diesel Crank Pulley Failure at 47,000 miles