Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2013 Q7 diesel Crank Pulley Failure at 47,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2021, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche man
Just reached out to SA again to see if I can get it covered. Wobbly, or off the engine I can't wait for. I've already ordered pulley, belt and bolts and they will stay in the box until I get an answer. Hopefully ECS is good on returns. Thanks for the heads up.

Service advisor is waiting on SM to proceed on the photo I sent him.
Old 08-15-2021, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 774 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche man
Just reached out to SA again to see if I can get it covered. Wobbly, or off the engine I can't wait for. I've already ordered pulley, belt and bolts and they will stay in the box until I get an answer. Hopefully ECS is good on returns. Thanks for the heads up.
As noted, Audi is not going to replace any parts under the TDI warranty that can't be observed to have failed or can be visibly verified by them to be failing, as that opens them up to larger costs, which they are trying to avoid by this being a 'reactive' item. They aren't telling customers this is a known issue; you have to bring it to them for validation of failure/validation of warranty. You won't get them to replace it before it fails, believe me I tried, which is why I encourage all TDI owners to lodge a complaint with the NHTSA regards to this known part failure issue, which can be hazardous if it occurs while you are out driving, etc. Lodging a formal complaint in this manner can lead to a formal HHTSA investigation and will likely result in a recall / Service Action by Audi which would cover all impacted TDI engines. This is exactly why they are trying to keep it on the DL and allow owners to think it's not covered....it's all about those Benjamins $$, baby.
Old 08-16-2021, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

@'10Q7TDI_Prestige'
Are you able to provide the letter that shows that this is covered? I just spoke to my local dealer and they stated that they would need to formally diagnose and submit this to Audi for approval. I've never been able to get them to say something is covered or not without taking the car in first.
Old 08-18-2021, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 968racer
@'10Q7TDI_Prestige'
Are you able to provide the letter that shows that this is covered? I just spoke to my local dealer and they stated that they would need to formally diagnose and submit this to Audi for approval. I've never been able to get them to say something is covered or not without taking the car in first.
Seriously?!
Please reread my last post, and then read it again. Yes, I dropped off our '15 for a CEL /sensor issue, and had already been in discussion with the SVC MGR about the crank pulley known issue. I left the car for their evaluation, which shows every possible sign of impending crank pulley failure except the one Audi cares about; it hasn't actually failed yet. After reviewing with internal warranty claims and kicking it up to big Audi (Audi North America) for review as well, Sewell Audi in N. Houston, TX said "Yes, it is covered as part of the long-block warranty, but the part has to fail or be visibly observable by a service tech as wobbling about its' axis due to impending failure. "Once it fails, or can be observed visibly to be failing, we will replace it under the TDI warranty provisions." The SVC MGR gave me the number to Audi Towing Services to call when it fails as he knows my son lives 3+ hours from a dealer.
Do not expect miracles over the phone; I've already done the legwork for you. AUDI IS NOT GOING TO REPLACE THE CRANK PULLEY UNTIL IT FAILS, BECAUSE IT IS A REACTIVE, WARRANTY COVERAGE ITEM ONLY. If you want to turn it into a recall campaign, go to NHTSA website and file a complaint about the crank pulley failures on the 3.0 TDI engine.
Old 08-18-2021, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Before I found out it was a covered, TDI warranty item, I too was hardcore shopping for pulleys and ready to wrench it myself. Had I been able to source the new part# at a reasonable price, I would have already bought two and swapped 'em out on both cars proactively, and thought nothing more of it. FCP lists their Corteco pully (OEM) for $160, but is in perpetual B/O status. The only places that have them in stock were/are priced $350 and up, which I personally see as price gouging and find extremely offensive. Make the best choice for your own personal pain tolerance; replace it on your own dime, or wait for it to fail. Me, I'm going to let Audi's TDI warranty put humpty-dumpty back together once it falls off. I carry towing/roadside/rental car covg w/ car insurance to cover the unexpected.
Old 08-19-2021, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by '10Q7TDI_Prestige'
Seriously?!
Please reread my last post, and then read it again. Yes, I dropped off our '15 for a CEL /sensor issue, and had already been in discussion with the SVC MGR about the crank pulley known issue. I left the car for their evaluation, which shows every possible sign of impending crank pulley failure except the one Audi cares about; it hasn't actually failed yet. After reviewing with internal warranty claims and kicking it up to big Audi (Audi North America) for review as well, Sewell Audi in N. Houston, TX said "Yes, it is covered as part of the long-block warranty, but the part has to fail or be visibly observable by a service tech as wobbling about its' axis due to impending failure. "Once it fails, or can be observed visibly to be failing, we will replace it under the TDI warranty provisions." The SVC MGR gave me the number to Audi Towing Services to call when it fails as he knows my son lives 3+ hours from a dealer.
Do not expect miracles over the phone; I've already done the legwork for you. AUDI IS NOT GOING TO REPLACE THE CRANK PULLEY UNTIL IT FAILS, BECAUSE IT IS A REACTIVE, WARRANTY COVERAGE ITEM ONLY. If you want to turn it into a recall campaign, go to NHTSA website and file a complaint about the crank pulley failures on the 3.0 TDI engine.
I was asking for the letter to help out others in case the dealer denied the claim. Mine was starting to wobble so I replaced it on my own not wanting to risk paying $200 for diagnosis then only to have the claim denied.

I replaced mine with the Corteco for $200 from here: https://www.idparts.com/serpentine-b...0-p-14706.html
The following users liked this post:
drjonez (08-19-2021)
Old 10-06-2021, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

FYI: FCP Euro has the CORTECO (OEM) 3.0 TDI crankshaft pulley back in stock for $162...you get a lifetime warranty from FCP Euro and it ships for free.

The following users liked this post:
drjonez (10-07-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just listed a brand new Complete Kit - Audi PN 059-105-251-DJ for sale, includes new bolts, washer and serpentine belt.

I purchased it from an Audi dealer and carried it around on long trips (wedged between 2-3rd row); sold the Q7, so no longer needed.

I am located in Dallas, TX Metro area; can ship USPS flat rate. Travel frequently to Austin/San Antonio.
Old 10-12-2021, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Torque for the bolts is 20nm + 90 degrees.
Old 10-14-2021, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've tried to source a crank pulley from Audi UK, but it's at least a 3-month wait for delivery as there is no stock anywhere.

Has anyone used the Corteco or Dayton versions?

I really want to swap mine out as my car has done 130k miles and the pulley on mine looks like some of the bad ones on here (rusty, split where the rubber meets the steel).

Did anyone get direct experience with these aftermarket parts?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: 2013 Q7 diesel Crank Pulley Failure at 47,000 miles