Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2013 Q7 diesel Crank Pulley Failure at 47,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2020, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Dudeness30
Whats the part number for the bolts? I prefer to replace the bolts at the same time. I have searched with no luck yet.
They are:

N 910 059 02
Old 08-23-2020, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by cuatrokoop
They are:

N 910 059 02
Thank you, I got them ordered.
Old 08-24-2020, 03:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blackfunk
I'm not familiar with the TDI lineup but of the gas models I'd recommend going solid crank pulley. My 183mm is going in this week as mine has the slightest of wobbles and with my luck this will happen 1000 miles from home.
What's the consensus on the solid pulley? Are you losing some vibration dampening characteristics? Does that matter?
Old 08-24-2020, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 167 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by rjking2112
What's the consensus on the solid pulley? Are you losing some vibration dampening characteristics? Does that matter?
Its been discussed at length on other forums and many people have run them for years and with uprated power as well and I've not heard of anyone having deleterious effects when switching to a solid pulley, and me personally my S4 is well stiffened with mounts and braces lowered etc etc and I did not feel a difference when I switched over to a solid pulley. Personally I've run a 183mm pulley on my S4 for a year or two now and literally updated to a 196 yesterday. The best unexpected benefit was how much faster the engine revs with a lightened crank pulley which most of the solid pulley tend to be. The 183mm is scheduled to go on the Q7 by weeks end and I'll tune that to APR stage 2, can't hardly wait.
Old 08-25-2020, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 568 Likes on 450 Posts

We've got turbocharged diesels, changing the crank pully isn't gonna do much if anything, surely wont give us more boost like you w/your supercharger.. We make power instantly and got a narrow power band, by 4 grand there's nothing left.. I'm not sure anyone even makes a solid crank for the TDI since this is really everything but a high performance engine with our >8s 0-60
Old 08-25-2020, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackfunk
Its been discussed at length on other forums and many people have run them for years and with uprated power as well and I've not heard of anyone having deleterious effects when switching to a solid pulley, and me personally my S4 is well stiffened with mounts and braces lowered etc etc and I did not feel a difference when I switched over to a solid pulley. Personally I've run a 183mm pulley on my S4 for a year or two now and literally updated to a 196 yesterday. The best unexpected benefit was how much faster the engine revs with a lightened crank pulley which most of the solid pulley tend to be. The 183mm is scheduled to go on the Q7 by weeks end and I'll tune that to APR stage 2, can't hardly wait.
Maybe this should be on a different thread...???
I've looked at doing the Stage 2 and maybe even a Stage 2+, it looks really interesting. I'd really like to hear how that goes for you. Are you doing the work yourself? My 3.0 TFSI is already very spunky, but these upgrades look awesome!
Old 08-25-2020, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RJW-2015-Q7
Maybe this should be on a different thread...???
I've looked at doing the Stage 2 and maybe even a Stage 2+, it looks really interesting. I'd really like to hear how that goes for you. Are you doing the work yourself? My 3.0 TFSI is already very spunky, but these upgrades look awesome!
Your best bet would be to head over to the B8 S4/S5 forums to see what's available for this engine - most likely to mod this engine - Lots of tuners to choose from. I currently have EPL stge 2 on the S4 and APR stage 1 on the truck. been awhile since I've been stock but I definitely remember the change vs stock being eye opening. In my case since I was changing the crank pulley I figured why not also get a tune. Stage 1 gets you 70ish HP and about 60lb/ft vs stock, so its a healthy pickup. Really noticeable on the freeway when driving above 65mph. Feels like the relentless puling from a V8. Runs at 135 easy.

Originally Posted by dreadlocks
We've got turbocharged diesels, changing the crank pully isn't gonna do much if anything, surely wont give us more boost like you w/your supercharger.. We make power instantly and got a narrow power band, by 4 grand there's nothing left.. I'm not sure anyone even makes a solid crank for the TDI since this is really everything but a high performance engine with our >8s 0-60
100% Agreed. There are a few companies that make solid crank pullies that are only slightly larger than stock (gas engine as I'm not sure if the TDI and gas have the same size crank pulley) it would make sense to change it for reliability vs replacing it with another stock unit which could always be a disaster in waiting.
Old 08-25-2020, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It seems to me to be a manufacturing defect the Diesels are experiencing, never heard any reports of anyone fixing this issue w/a current replacement part and ever have it happening again or discovering cracks developing on the replacement like these original ones are doing... This issue is largely isolated to just a few years of the nearly decade they were built.. Something changed, either they made a bunch w/a bad batch of metallurgy.. or they revised the design.
Old 08-25-2020, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Not sure about the diesels but my 2015 appears to be delaminating and its hella rusty LOL. Rather than take the risk I just replaced. Wouldn't surprise me if something was changed later on though but I'm curious if there might be a different part number between the years.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I'mna highlight this for everyone off @Kei78 photo he took.. this was one that 100% needed to be replaced, the failure point is highlighted.. if you see any cracking here, you should replace it, otherwise.. if its rusty dont mean much, mine is rusty and there is no cracking here at all.

Bad vs Good

That first pulley was not a matter of if it failed, but when.. and since its so easy to inspect, just check this thing out when you change your oil and keep an eye on it.. with no crack here, like in the 2nd photo, I would not worry about replacing this.. but the moment you catch it, put a new pulley on.. checking it w/every oil change should be good enough to catch it before you ever end up stranded.

Last edited by dreadlocks; 08-25-2020 at 11:09 AM.

Quick Reply: 2013 Q7 diesel Crank Pulley Failure at 47,000 miles