Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2013 Q7 wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Q7 wiring harness

I am in the process of having a trailer hitch installed on my 2013 Q7. I was recommended to go to U Haul by my salesman. I am now being told that I need a wiring harness before this can be completed, however Audi is telling me that can not find a part number for this and therefore can not order it. Does anybody know what this part number is and where I can purchase it if Audi can not?
Old 02-07-2013, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If your car did not come with factory hitch then you probably need the trailer control module as well as the harness.
check out kufatec for options. part numbers are listed in the part number page of the spreadsheet but are from earlier MYs
It may be no harm to call your service dept with your VIN and ask whats already there or needed.

If you do not have factory prep then you dont have the larger transmission oil coolers which reduces your tow capacity by 1000lbs.
If you need electronic brake control the loom should still be there anyway
The reason you require trailer control module is for suspension, bulb fail, parking sensors, transmission, brake setup and anti sway programme.
If you do have to get any parts please post part numbers as they are likey different to pre LED models.

Older Trailer control module number 4L0 907 383 (May have a letter after like J)
Older Harness number 4L1 971 516

Last edited by Jusforfun; 02-07-2013 at 07:23 AM.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default I'm stuck here too

I bought my Hitch from etrailer.com for my 2011 and I'm stuck with this same situation and dealers are of little help. I am going to swing by this evening, but I'm guessing I am wasting my time. I will come back here and post my findings.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default I'm stuck here too

I bought my Hitch from etrailer.com for my 2011 and I'm stuck with this same situation and dealers are of little help. I am going to swing by this evening, but I'm guessing I am wasting my time. I will come back here and post my findings.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default What I've learned so far

So far I've learned that the only way to get electrical on my 2011 Audi Q7 Sline is to buy the tow package at about 890 dollars (not sure of that includes installation but I'm guessing it does not). I also learned that the Controller unit is not really necessary and is only used for shifting according to extra trailer weight being pulled.

I have not given up on just getting a wiring harness and found this on the ECS Tuning site, but they do not know if it is compatible with my car and it would cost me a 15% restocking fee plus shipping to find out. The item is the Toureg Trailer Hitch Electrical Installation Kit. http://www.ecstuning.com/ES251913/

If anyone knows if this is compatible with my 2011 Q7 I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So for the Q7 the only 4 things you need is the Tow Module, wiring harness, 7 pin connector and obviously the tow bar/ ball hitch. I purchased the curt tow bar, fits fine and 200$. Then purchased the wiring harness and module from ebay germany. Used version H for 127$. install was easy and just needed VAG coding to activate. my curt bar didnt have the mount for the 7 pin connecter so I had to adapt myself but no biggie.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Maybe this is true for the 2008 Q7 but the 2011 seems to be a bigger headache. I escalated the situation to Audi Customer care and they contacted my dealer which turned around and told them that the only way I can get setup is to fork over 1680 dollars non-negotiable to order and install the tow package.

At this point I'm looking at the Ford Edge, can't be any worse than this experience and I already checked that e-trailer has everything I will need for under 500 bucks for the edge. Sure the Edge isn't as cutting edge as the Audi but the price of admission and fuel economy more than make up for that.

My experience with Audi has been so poor that I'm considering an American car, I never thought I would do that.

Also, it seems that Volkswagen customers are way happier than Audi customers. I know it's the same company but why the difference? Should have bought a Toureg :-(

-Goodbye Audi and thanks for nothing.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by tiny dancer
I am in the process of having a trailer hitch installed on my 2013 Q7. I was recommended to go to U Haul by my salesman. I am now being told that I need a wiring harness before this can be completed, however Audi is telling me that can not find a part number for this and therefore can not order it. Does anybody know what this part number is and where I can purchase it if Audi can not?
Just went to the dealer about my 2013 Q7. No, the harness is not available by itself. The whole hitch included the harness inside of the assembly. Installed this is about $1200. If you are looking buy the Q7 with the hitch already installed. I paid $190 from Weaver in PA and I will forgo the lights for now until some creative type comes up with a solution. Please keep us posted with progress!
Old 03-08-2015, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a 2010 Q7 with S line and NO tow package.

I need the harness from the controller to the hitch, i ordered the 4L1 971 516 and it seems that is the wrong item.

What part number do I need to connect the box to the trailer connector. HELP the noobie please.

Flynn
Old 08-20-2021, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Hardness

Originally Posted by tiny dancer
. Did you ever find your solution?