Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2013 TDI - Feeling Transmission Jerking/Slippage

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 TDI - Feeling Transmission Jerking/Slippage

Hello all,

I have a 2013 TDI Q7 that I purchased new.

For the past 2-3 months I've been dealing with an issue (the cause of which the dealership is having trouble narrowing down). I hope some of you will have some insight on this frustrating situation!!

- the transmission seems to jerk/slip roughly when I accelerate the vehicle between speeds of 30 mph- 60mph. This happens on average 5-10 times during a routine 25-35 minute drive.

- the jerking ONLY happens when I press the accelerator, never during normal cruising or slowing down with foot off of the accelerator.

- the Jerking is not felt when accelerating from a complete stop

- the jerking seems to occur more often when the weather is hotter as opposed to colder.

I have taken it to the dealer 3 times within the past 1.5 months.

First Visit: The mechanic drove it with me and I pointed out the jerking feeling which he acknowledged. Turned out after leaving it there for more tests they didn't find anything after all. I took the car back and the next day felt the same jerking.

Second Visit:
They Ran some diagnostics, decided to Reboot the computer memory. Told me to drive it for at least 200 miles so the computer can re-learn my style of driving. I felt the same jerking /slipping come back the next day, so decided to take it back in and insist on it to be checked again since the problem was still there. They ran extensive diagnosis and had an Audi expert come in. Finally diagnosed that the TRANSFER GEARBOX is malfunctioning and needs to be replaced.

Third Visit:
Went in to get the Transfer Gearbox replaced (after having waited two weeks for it to arrive from Germany). I picked up the car yesterday, and believe it or not the same Jerking is still there. It's as if nothing has changed or improved.

I am beyond frustrated and will call the Dealership in the AM to schedule another appointment and let them know that the problem is still occurring......

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this issue!
Old 05-01-2015, 12:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the same problem with my Q5 (2013). I know what you are talking about.
It all started with the 8 speed trans, with different learning driving software.
Some cars have this problem and some do not. What Audi has done is in all the TSB that have fix Q5 and Q7. Some have been fix and some have not.
It is not the transmission its self, the 8 speed trans is one of the best trans out there.
The learning driver software needs to be updated it is to sensitive. What is happening also is once you drive it has learn your way, and a different driver enters and has change it to his/her way which is causing a jerking control.
Sorry to say this; keep taken it in they might find the smoken gun.

For more research tap into the Q5 section for jerking.

Good Luck.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Frustrating problem and I hope they manage to fix it soon.

I wonder what logic they used to decide to change the transfer box?
Old 05-01-2015, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Smith thanks for your reply. The odd thing is, (and I told this to the dealership) that I am the sole driver. During the entire life our Q7 my husband has only driven it 3-4 times, whereas I drive it daily. So it doesn't make sense that the computer would all of a sudden become confused with driving habits...for which the dealership had no solid response.

Originally Posted by smith2010Q7
I have the same problem with my Q5 (2013). I know what you are talking about.
It all started with the 8 speed trans, with different learning driving software.
Some cars have this problem and some do not. What Audi has done is in all the TSB that have fix Q5 and Q7. Some have been fix and some have not.
It is not the transmission its self, the 8 speed trans is one of the best trans out there.
The learning driver software needs to be updated it is to sensitive. What is happening also is once you drive it has learn your way, and a different driver enters and has change it to his/her way which is causing a jerking control.
Sorry to say this; keep taken it in they might find the smoken gun.

For more research tap into the Q5 section for jerking.

Good Luck.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Edd, they explained to me that the transfer gearbox isn't switching gears smoothly, hence the jerking feeling. That was their reason to replace it.

Originally Posted by Edd W
Frustrating problem and I hope they manage to fix it soon.

I wonder what logic they used to decide to change the transfer box?
Old 05-01-2015, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The transfer box is behind the main gearbox and simply splits off the drive to the front diff, it plays no part is gear changes or selection and I cannot see any logic in changing it.
Maybe they had another customer car in with a faulty transfer box and they used your old one for that and charged it out as new?
Old 05-01-2015, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Have you tried driving it in "S" mode for a while to see if it adapts in that mode or tried using the paddles for a bit to see if that resets something?
Old 05-01-2015, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have seen one post that Audi replace the whole 8 speed trans and reprogram the computer and this fix the problem.
Which this might happen when they run out of ideas from Germany engineering.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for your reply Gavin. My Q7 doesn't have paddle shifters....

Also, excuse my ignorance, but what will be the point of driving it in "S" mode? I will definitely take your advice and try it for a few days, but am just wondering how it will help resolve the problem??

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Gavin0478
Have you tried driving it in "S" mode for a while to see if it adapts in that mode or tried using the paddles for a bit to see if that resets something?
Old 05-01-2015, 11:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

In "S" mode it runs a different program, locking the up torque converter earlier, holding gears longer etc.
If there is slippage in an auto its normally around the torque converter.

Can you push the stick left/right in d mode to change gear up and down manually instead?

Quick Reply: 2013 TDI - Feeling Transmission Jerking/Slippage