Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2014 Q7 3.0 TFSI Hesitation Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2014 Q7 3.0 TFSI Hesitation Issue

We've got a 2014 Q7 with under 300 miles on it and are having some strange acceleration issues.

On about 10 occasions now, we will pull out into traffic and the car seems to just stop responding to pedal input, until we manually force a gear change (ie switching from D to S mode)

It has also happened (more rarely) when on the freeway, driving a constant speed and then accelerating to try and pass another car.

Additionally, I have been able to reproduce it sporadically when driving at a constant speed (in D mode), downshifting with the paddle shifter and giving it gas.

I was told by my better half, that it seems to happen more often about 4-5 car lengths after she has made a turn on to a street (ie from an intersection).

This is when it last happened for me as well this week.

The car has been to the dealer and they have not been able to reproduce.. which stands to reason, as it doesn't seem to happen consistently.

Has anyone else heard of, or experienced a similar issue with the 3.0 TFSI + 8 Speed Automatic transmission?
Old 08-22-2013, 03:16 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 284 Likes on 204 Posts

Never experienced in either of my Q's.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just took delivery of a new Q with the 3.0t, and after a few hundred miles, no issues like you have experienced. Is there any difference if you have the car in normal or sport mode?
Old 08-23-2013, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Rlk1
I just took delivery of a new Q with the 3.0t, and after a few hundred miles, no issues like you have experienced. Is there any difference if you have the car in normal or sport mode?
Doesn't happen in S-Mode.. Seems to be happening less than it did originally.. fwiw
Old 08-23-2013, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'd imagine the canned explanation was "it is in learning mode" which might as well be true. My wide drove our A6 mostly. When I did it felt like it was a ton of bricks, after few pedal to the floor, it would start to wake up. Give it a try...

Last edited by rarslan; 08-23-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rarslan
I'd imagine the canned explanation was "it is in learning mode" which might as well be true. My wide drove our A6 mostly. When I did it felt like it was a ton of bricks, after few pedal to the floor, it would start to wake up. Give it a try...
No resolution yet, there are no error codes stored and the problem has happened at least 2 dozen times in both D and S mode.

It's extremely disconcerting and the dealer cannot reproduce.

What are our options at this point.

This is a safety issue, if the car loses power merging into traffic or after a turn into traffic, we have no way of accelerating to avoid a potential collision
Old 08-29-2013, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Just to understand this better...if you don't force a gear change the car will not respond to pedal input ever?
Old 08-30-2013, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by phil47
Just to understand this better...if you don't force a gear change the car will not respond to pedal input ever?
No, it's when the car stops responding, that forcing a gear change sometimes fixes the issue.

Heard from the tech.. They believe a bad brake sensor is the problem. Apparently, when the Ecu receives brake and throttle at the same time, it will cut throttle as a fail safe.

They were able to see the faulty brake switch/sensor with a live scan while driving the car.

Hope to get the car back tomorrow.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That seems right. If you drive the Q7 on a beach, you can't completely turn off the ESP. It senses wheels spinning in sand, then activates the brakes to slow the spinning wheel. Then it senses the brakes overheating and cuts the power to that wheel. Then you lose momentum, get stuck and wait for the brakes to cool. (After a couple of these events, we went out and bought an LR3 for beach driving and kept the Q7 on pavement)

One of your brake heat sensors must have been bad and power was being cut. Hopefully it is now fixed.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've logged about 800 miles in my 3.0 TFSI and I've not experienced this issue. I hope the tech was right and it is just a faulty brake sensor! Keep us posted!

Quick Reply: 2014 Q7 3.0 TFSI Hesitation Issue