Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2014 Q7 3.0 TFSI Hesitation Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a new 2013 Q7 3.0 (not TDI) and it is in the dealer right now for the same problem. From a stop and pressing the gas pedal a delay of 3 seconds especially on a stop and go situation. It is randomly and the dealer cannot replicate the fault. I recommended the brake sensor from the post below. I will found out later today the outcome.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by WP4WP4
I have a new 2013 Q7 3.0 (not TDI) and it is in the dealer right now for the same problem. From a stop and pressing the gas pedal a delay of 3 seconds especially on a stop and go situation. It is randomly and the dealer cannot replicate the fault. I recommended the brake sensor from the post below. I will found out later today the outcome.
Dealer called me; they are replacing the brake sensor to be safe and test.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That sounds plausible - hope it is fixed for you!
Old 01-15-2014, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Not the same issue.

The throttle is backed off simply because it detects that the brake pedal is being pressed - it simple logic - if you are braking then you cannot be accelerating at the same time, so the throttle is backed off, even if you have your foot on the floor.

The fault here is that it sounds like the brake pedal switch is faulty causing the ECU to think you are pressing the brake pedal so it backs off the throttle.

Exactly what some Toyota's did not do!
Old 01-16-2014, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paul3.2A4avant
That seems right. If you drive the Q7 on a beach, you can't completely turn off the ESP. It senses wheels spinning in sand, then activates the brakes to slow the spinning wheel. Then it senses the brakes overheating and cuts the power to that wheel. Then you lose momentum, get stuck and wait for the brakes to cool. (After a couple of these events, we went out and bought an LR3 for beach driving and kept the Q7 on pavement)

One of your brake heat sensors must have been bad and power was being cut. Hopefully it is now fixed.
I know the Q7 has a brake pad wear sensor, but I didn't think it had a thermocouple embedded into it- my understanding is it is a simple open loop wear "switch" that is closed when the pad wears down and the sensor contacts the rotor to close the loop and report to the vehicle braking module the "wear" state. I'm curious how you came upon this explanation (i.e. dealer tech) and would like to know what sensing mechanism is being used to measure brake temperature. I don't doubt that the Q7 ESP system is really always monitoring wheel speed and accelerometer data, even when switched off, and will re-activate under certain conditions, I just had not heard of brake temperature being an input to the ESP system.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I suspect it is an assumption based on some rather poor explanation at some point. I don't think there is any form of brake temperature sensing, it is probably based on a calculated brake temp based on the duty cycle of the ESP and ABS etc... - knowing Audi, it will possibly also take ambient temp into account as well, maybe even barometric as well!
Old 07-14-2019, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I had the same issue with my 2012 Q7. Had everything checked per the other recommendations on this blog. They all checked fine. But, there is a part called the “ throttle body” which regulates the air into the engine. It’s both electrical and mechanical. Mine showed sporadic response on the computer. Mine had carbon buildup and didn’t open/ close correctly. We replaced it and it’s infinitely better. Here is another reason for the hesitation; riding the break petal or using the left foot on the break and breaking and accelerating at the same time. When the break petal is slightly pressed, it signals the computer and it cuts off gas momentarily. It was a bad habit of mine and once I started using my right foot for both breaking and gas, it was fine. With both those reasons solved, my Q7 is fine
Old 07-14-2019, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Dont ride the break petal or simultaneously break and accelerate. Any pressure on the break signals the computer to cut off gas. Also, have the mechanic check the “throttle body”. Replaced mine and hesitation went away