Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2014 Q7 engine failure - 49k miles (factory warranty expired 2 months ago)

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Q7 engine failure - 49k miles (factory warranty expired 2 months ago)

Hi guys,

New to the forum. Owner of a 2014 Q7. Love the car, owned it for almost 1 year and have driven it for 20k miles.

Well Saturday night I'm driving and all of a sudden tire.pressure sensor comes on, low oil pressure light comes on dash and car immediately shutsdown. I pull over and have it towed to Audi dealer. Car would not start. When trying to crank, it sounds horrible - as if a wrench was thrown into the engine.

Diagnosis - timing link(chain) failed, causing valve stem to bend, and piston siezed inside cylinder wall. More detailed report to follow by Audi dealer in a few days. This was told to me over the phone by service rep.

Dilemma: 4 year/50k factory warranty. I have 49,400 miles, but warranty expired on April 29 2018. Dealer is submitting a Goodwill warranty request to Audi corporate. Oil was changed by dealer 1.5 weeks ago and it ran well for about 100 miles, until failure.

Not sure what to do. Dealer is quoting me $15k for new engine plus labor. What are my options here. I don't have any extended warranty, didn't realize it expired. What are the odds Audi will help me on this repair, as it's a item that's not checked as part of the inspection or regular maintenance.

What have others experienced, and thoughts? Thanks.
Old 07-04-2018, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 202 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by smk2018
Hi guys,

New to the forum. Owner of a 2014 Q7. Love the car, owned it for almost 1 year and have driven it for 20k miles.

Well Saturday night I'm driving and all of a sudden tire.pressure sensor comes on, low oil pressure light comes on dash and car immediately shutsdown. I pull over and have it towed to Audi dealer. Car would not start. When trying to crank, it sounds horrible - as if a wrench was thrown into the engine.

Diagnosis - timing link(chain) failed, causing valve stem to bend, and piston siezed inside cylinder wall. More detailed report to follow by Audi dealer in a few days. This was told to me over the phone by service rep.

Dilemma: 4 year/50k factory warranty. I have 49,400 miles, but warranty expired on April 29 2018. Dealer is submitting a Goodwill warranty request to Audi corporate. Oil was changed by dealer 1.5 weeks ago and it ran well for about 100 miles, until failure.

Not sure what to do. Dealer is quoting me $15k for new engine plus labor. What are my options here. I don't have any extended warranty, didn't realize it expired. What are the odds Audi will help me on this repair, as it's a item that's not checked as part of the inspection or regular maintenance.

What have others experienced, and thoughts? Thanks.
You'll just need to wait and see what Audi of America come back with. If they don't offer you anything I'd recommend a remanufactured engine and have it installed by a good independent mechanic.

Your car is worth more than $15k, so you'll need to figure out what it's worth to you.
​​​
Old 07-06-2018, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Usually they should pick up the parts and you have to pay the labor. It all depends if you have good service records and have all the oil changes done in time. Or they might pickup all the bill. You are only out for two months but with in miles. Its all on the Dealer's willing to fight for you.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

This terrifies me. My 2014 Q7 (TFSI) has started to make a timing chain rattle on occasional starts lately. I have the CPO warranty for another 1.5 years... I wonder if I need to plan to get rid of it when that's about up... Do keep us updated on what happens.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. So far I am still waiting for the dealer to complete the writeup. Apparently, it's an exhaustive list of parts they can reuse, etc. It's been sitting at the dealer for a week and I am 2nd week into a car rental, that I am paying for. The dealer service rep has been cordial, but they keep saying it's a 50/50 chance Audi will do anything. Service records are up to date, and the oil was changed literally 1.5 weeks ago at the dealer. I am hoping the dealer will fight for me on this. The only concern I have is if/when this repair gets put through will it show up on a carfax? My immediate sense is to repair it and sell it right away vs. keeping it and driving it - the last thing I need is another major problem. I contacted Audi extended warranty, and they said once repaired they will not offer me extended warranty, which concerns me even more.

@Foglem - I did notice the same rattle on occasion with the timing chain, I ignored it as I attributed it to cold weather, etc. It started occurring around the 30K mile mark, only upon cold startup. I would get it checked out.

The labor is what worries me, the engine (rebuilt I assume) would be about $5-$7K, but than another $7K for labor - seems excessive (this was quoted to me by the dealer). I am better off just going to a local mechanic, and getting a rebuilt put in for under $6K and selling the vehicle. I will find out more on Monday, I hope. And keep you all posted. Thanks.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Here’s a question... is the chain a serviceable part? At what km should this be done? If it’s a lifetime part, what is considered “lifetime”?
Old 07-09-2018, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

My understanding is the chain is consider a upgrade from the service required part (timing belts) for the specific purpose of not needing to service it. However if there was a design flaw that causes some number to fail they'd never tell us as long as the majority of those fail outside of the warranty.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Interesting:

http://australiancar.reviews/_pdfs/A...5-2_201604.pdf
Old 07-09-2018, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Update: Dealer called me today and Audi Corporate has agreed to pay 98% of the repairs to the vehicle. It will require a new engine block, and not rebuilt. I am responsible for the 2%, which amounts to $850. Grateful that Audi agreed to this. I don't know the specific details, however Audi has taken responsibility. The car will be ready in about 1 weeks time. I am not complaining, but considering that this was a catastrophic engine failure, the $850, is heck of alot better than the original $15K quoted by the dealer.

I did ask the dealer what they will report, and it seems if I pull a carfax, it will show a new engine was put in. Not sure how this will affect resale value, but I am pretty sure it will - the car won't be valued at book value with original engine. This is my assumption at this point, any others care to chime in?

@foglem - good find; if you can get it checked out I would. This rattling occurred on occasion, and I wasn't able to replicate it when brought in for servicing. I will send it over to my service advisor but not sure what they can do, if they have given me so much back in 'comp'.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by smk2018
it seems if I pull a carfax, it will show a new engine was put in. Not sure how this will affect resale value, but I am pretty sure it will - the car won't be valued at book value with original engine. This is my assumption at this point, any others care to chime in?
As someone who works in the insurance claims business you car will be worth more. Not a bunch, but slightly more as the engine will be rebuilt and in better shape than it was with 50k miles on it. If you total it out your insurance company will give you a slight (again not huge and definitely less than if you put a brand new motor in it) adjustment and positive credit for the engine work. Now as for trading it in, I can't speak to that. Dealers may try to use it against you in their negotiation, who knows with "those" guys. Haha

Quick Reply: 2014 Q7 engine failure - 49k miles (factory warranty expired 2 months ago)