Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2014 Q7 engine failure - 49k miles (factory warranty expired 2 months ago)

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smk2018
Update: Dealer called me today and Audi Corporate has agreed to pay 98% of the repairs to the vehicle. It will require a new engine block, and not rebuilt. I am responsible for the 2%, which amounts to $850. Grateful that Audi agreed to this. I don't know the specific details, however Audi has taken responsibility. The car will be ready in about 1 weeks time. I am not complaining, but considering that this was a catastrophic engine failure, the $850, is heck of alot better than the original $15K quoted by the dealer.

I did ask the dealer what they will report, and it seems if I pull a carfax, it will show a new engine was put in. Not sure how this will affect resale value, but I am pretty sure it will - the car won't be valued at book value with original engine. This is my assumption at this point, any others care to chime in?

@foglem - good find; if you can get it checked out I would. This rattling occurred on occasion, and I wasn't able to replicate it when brought in for servicing. I will send it over to my service advisor but not sure what they can do, if they have given me so much back in 'comp'.

Way to go man! i wouldn't even sweat paying that $850! you just got so lucky! did they ever tell you what went wrong?
Old 07-11-2018, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default I have found AOA very good...

Update: Dealer called me today and Audi Corporate has agreed to pay 98% of the repairs to the vehicle. It will require a new engine block, and not rebuilt. I am responsible for the 2%, which amounts to $850. Grateful that Audi agreed to this. I don't know the specific details, however Audi has taken responsibility. The car will be ready in about 1 weeks time. I am not complaining, but considering that this was a catastrophic engine failure, the $850, is heck of alot better than the original $15K quoted by the dealer.

I did ask the dealer what they will report, and it seems if I pull a carfax, it will show a new engine was put in. Not sure how this will affect resale value, but I am pretty sure it will - the car won't be valued at book value with original engine. This is my assumption at this point, any others care to chime in?

@foglem - good find; if you can get it checked out I would. This rattling occurred on occasion, and I wasn't able to replicate it when brought in for servicing. I will send it over to my service advisor but not sure what they can do, if they have given me so much back in 'comp'.
when I approached them with respect and courtesy. Things happen to ANYTHING mechanical and I APPLAUD Audi for stepping up on this WELL DONE! I am on my 4th Audi (mixed in with other cars from Mercedes AMG to Corvette to...well you name it I have probably had one or 2) As my Q7 gets older I am looking to a replacement at some point but my first consideration will always be AUDI first.
Old 05-10-2020, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,

New to the forum. Owner of a 2014 Q7. Love the car, owned it for almost 1 year and have driven it for 20k miles.

Well Saturday night I'm driving and all of a sudden tire.pressure sensor comes on, low oil pressure light comes on dash and car immediately shutsdown. I pull over and have it towed to Audi dealer. Car would not start. When trying to crank, it sounds horrible - as if a wrench was thrown into the engine.

Diagnosis - timing link(chain) failed, causing valve stem to bend, and piston siezed inside cylinder wall. More detailed report to follow by Audi dealer in a few days. This was told to me over the phone by service rep.

Dilemma: 4 year/50k factory warranty. I have 49,400 miles, but warranty expired on April 29 2018. Dealer is submitting a Goodwill warranty request to Audi corporate. Oil was changed by dealer 1.5 weeks ago and it ran well for about 100 miles, until failure.

Not sure what to do. Dealer is quoting me $15k for new engine plus labor. What are my options here. I don't have any extended warranty, didn't realize it expired. What are the odds Audi will help me on this repair, as it's a item that's not checked as part of the inspection or regular maintenance.

What have others experienced, and thoughts? Thanks.
I have a very similar issue with a 2016, currently there is a class action law suit against audi as they are aware that this is re-occurring issue with various model, I took mine to a dealership and they told me the same thing you were told by the dealer you went to. Loo into audi lawsuit on google.
Old 05-15-2020, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Audi Corporate has agreed to pay 98%...I am responsible for the 2%, which amounts to $850...

So the bill is $42.5k for a new engine? That's some dealer level math right there.

Last edited by fjord; 05-15-2020 at 04:32 PM.