Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

25,000 mile service showing I need new tires and brakes already--anyone else have similar experience

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you decide to keep it?
Old 05-16-2008, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yeah.. for the most part

factors were that we just bought a house and moved two weeks ago, are getting married in 4 months, and the dealer I contacted offered me about 5k less than I wanted.

Worrying about what it was worth and how much I was going to lose on it went to the back burner.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

New tires and brakes at 17,000 miles (I wasn't a happy camper that week)
Old 05-17-2008, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Cool-I'm glad you are keeping it, I'm sure it will continue to treat you well!

Congrats on getting married and getting a house.

Sounds like you will be busy!
Old 05-19-2008, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Jusfor Pads or Rotors too?
Old 03-23-2011, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Tires and Brakes

I bought my 2007 Audi A4, 3.2 in March 2010. It only had 13,000 miles on it. In February 2011, I took it to Rusnak Audi in Pasadena for a burnt out headlight and service (it now has 22,000miles). I also complained about the horrible road noise I hear when I have my sunroof open. They test drove it and told me they didn't hear anything. I was also shocked to learn that I needed new brakes, not just pads, and new tires. I left the dealership a little put out. Later that week, my warning light went on advising that my left headlight was out again. I called the dealership and was advised that when they checked the headlight (which was why I originally took it in), there was nothing wrong with it. The brakes were replaced at a price of $800.00 (since they told me they weren't under warranty) and now I'm shopping for tires. I also have to take it back to the dealership to deal with the electrical problem for the left headlight, since the warning light keeps going off and on, and I no longer open the sunroof, since the noise hurts my ears. Needless to say, I'm a little disappointed that this is happening in less than a year of ownership and less than 25,000 miles.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You are kind of in the wrong forum here. An A4 is a bit different than a Q7, but I am surprised you are getting the same kind of wear numbers considering the 2K# weight differential. I would have asked for the runout specs on the rotors as you likely could have just swapped for new pads which would have saved you a LOT of money. Audi's are not known for their cheap running costs and you will be in for more surprises if you have not owned a German car before. A comparable TSX would be much less over time.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

My '10 TDI was recently in for it's 25k AudiCare service.
End up replacing the front brakes, rotors and pads. Back is still good till next visit.

Tires were worn. Then a week later, front passenger tire was punctured, so I replaced all 4 tires.

So it seems to be pretty common judging from some of the threads on read on different boards.

-ThinkMac-

Originally Posted by Julkiana
I took my 2007 Q7 into the Audi dealership for my 25,000 mile service and they informed me that I need new tires and all new brakes (not brake pads...new brakes entirely). Together, it will cost me over $2,000 and my car isn't even 15 months old! Apparently Audi quit covering brakes in their warranties in 2005.

I was told by the dealership that this is very common for Q7s. I figured I'd need to replace the tires...but not so soon. And the brakes?!? Don't even get me started on that. Why did I spend $60K on this car if I have to continue to dump money into it? If I'm incurring this expense at only 25,000 miles...I'm scared to imagine what this car will cost me over the lifetime that I have it.

Is this common? Has anyone else had these issues?
Old 03-23-2011, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Julkiana
I took my 2007 Q7 into the Audi dealership for my 25,000 mile service and they informed me that I need new tires and all new brakes (not brake pads...new brakes entirely). Together, it will cost me over $2,000 and my car isn't even 15 months old! Apparently Audi quit covering brakes in their warranties in 2005.

I was told by the dealership that this is very common for Q7s. I figured I'd need to replace the tires...but not so soon. And the brakes?!? Don't even get me started on that. Why did I spend $60K on this car if I have to continue to dump money into it? If I'm incurring this expense at only 25,000 miles...I'm scared to imagine what this car will cost me over the lifetime that I have it.

Is this common? Has anyone else had these issues?
My car hit 26K miles, and the brake warning light came on. I ended up replacing both front and rear pads/rotors/sensors at the dealer for about $1.4K.

Expensive brake repairs are not unique to Audi. I had a 5 series BMW prior to the Q7, and when I sold it, it had 66K miles, and had gone thru the front brakes twice and the rear brakes once. The difference was that the brake replacement was invisible to me: it was part of the service plan and 2 of the 3 changes were done silently when I brought the car in for scheduled service. The actual price was similar to the Q7: about $700-800 per axle.

IMO there are two issues with the Q7 braking. Firstly the way Audi has set up the service program makes the brake repair (time and cost) explicitly visible to the end user. Secondly, it's an extremely heavy vehicle and goes thru brakes a bit faster than other vehicles. This combination is rather unfortunate.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Or buy some Hawk LTS pads online and some sensors and DIY. I've heard they work great and have much less dust too. Plus much cheaper.

Quick Reply: 25,000 mile service showing I need new tires and brakes already--anyone else have similar experience