Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

about chip tuning for Q7 3.0TDI

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 10:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default about chip tuning for Q7 3.0TDI

Hi guys, EJ from Shanghai. Long time no see. Actually I come into this forum quite often but just keep slience because people here are all helpful with expertise.

1. abrupt
Though the shifts are smooth in general, it is always abrupt when up or downshifts. It drives well on express way but uncomfortable in traffic jam. I try to control the accelerator to fit the diesel engine running in low speed. It improves a bit but that is not the driving style I am fond of. 8-speed tiptronic is smart but kind of stupid in the first three gears, from D1-D3.

2. acceleration
My Q7 3.0TDI has 245hp and 550nm. I saw the video that it takes 7.2s to reach 60mph. I did the same test but the result was poor over 11s. The test was done by iphone4s. I was shocked by the slow acceleration and took the video of dashboard when accelerating so that I could count down. But it really takes more than 11s to reach 60mph.

Due to above two reasons, I am googling for some products to improve.

First, ECU (Electronic Control Unit). There are some brands available like MTM,APR,HPA,STC... Here are the steps: get off the ecu from the car, connect it with the laptop, re-program ecu
with high power and torque. I doubt its reliability. Once ecu gets re-programmed, there is no way to revert as far as I know. Too many uncertainties...So I keep googling.

Second, plugins. There are some Geman suppliers of plugins on amazon. It looks simple, just attach the chip-tuning plugin onto the engine with some cables. The whole work could be done in 10 minutes as said. The best thing is that I can take it off and the condition goes back to the origin. This is exactly what I am looking for.

Guys, I wonder if anyone has the experience on plugins for Q7 3.0TDI and I want to order. Thank you so much.

(sorry for my poor English and hope I made myself understood)
Old 05-20-2013, 10:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I find this and this is exactly what I want.

Onlye 5 secs to install this tuning box.

Check this out.

Does anyone try this before?
Old 05-21-2013, 05:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

so surprised to see no one is interested
Old 05-22-2013, 01:41 AM
F2F
Audiworld Junior Member

I have something similar to what you are looking for installed on my Q7. Havent tried a 0-60 test, but on observation I find the acceleration smoother (less jerky) with it on.

I am not endorsing the project but if you want to find out further details try : http://www.tdi-tuning.co.uk

They claim for the 3.0 TDI 245 model to go from:

245 BHP to 290 BHP
550 NM to 660 NM
4-6 MPG better
10MPH higher top speed.

Not sure how these claims can be stated without a before/after rolling road for each vehicle (as no two vehicles are exactly the same and external factors have to be taken as well such as temp)
Old 05-22-2013, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anything tuning for 3.0 s/c engine ??
Old 05-22-2013, 05:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you so much F2F.

How long have this box been on your car? Is it reliable? Yes, I want less jerky. So as you said, it improves well?

How do you feel the acceleration?

Thanks again for your experience.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by F2F
I have something similar to what you are looking for installed on my Q7. Havent tried a 0-60 test, but on observation I find the acceleration smoother (less jerky) with it on.

I am not endorsing the project but if you want to find out further details try : http://www.tdi-tuning.co.uk

They claim for the 3.0 TDI 245 model to go from:

245 BHP to 290 BHP
550 NM to 660 NM
4-6 MPG better
10MPH higher top speed.

Not sure how these claims can be stated without a before/after rolling road for each vehicle (as no two vehicles are exactly the same and external factors have to be taken as well such as temp)
Hi F2F, I checked the website.

The torque is incready by 110nm from 550 to 660. Is it too much? I mean if the engine can survive such a big torque in the long run...

I prepfer torque to horsepower but worry about the engine reliability in such a strong torque.

How do you comment on this product?
Old 05-22-2013, 11:37 PM
F2F
Audiworld Junior Member

I have not had the car on a rolling road so cannot substanciate the increased performance claims. However th ecar feels more "eager" to accelerate without the same jerkiness (especially at lower revs). I have had upgrade for 2 years now and only had one issue (not sure if it is an issue) in that going over speed bumps at speed sometimes causes the "ECU" light to flash on. Happened twice but light goes out immediately and there seems to be no ill affects. The car is low mileage (less than 10k miles) so long term durability is unknown.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by F2F
I have had upgrade for 2 years now and only had one issue (not sure if it is an issue) in that going over speed bumps at speed sometimes causes the "ECU" light to flash on. Happened twice but light goes out immediately and there seems to be no ill affects.
Are you sure it is the CEL that comes on? Speed bumps sometimes actives the traction control, which is indicated by an amber light.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:42 AM
F2F
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes - very off putting when TWO warning lights come on! As I said it only happened twice, whereas I get the traction control light almost every day (lots of speed bumps near where I live).

Quick Reply: about chip tuning for Q7 3.0TDI