Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Advice on Towing with 2018 Q7

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2020, 10:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on Towing with 2018 Q7

Hi! I am new to towing with my 2018 Q7 3.0
I want to rent a trailer that has a hitch weight of 555lbs (my tongue cap is 770lbs) but I recently rented a trailer with a 437lb hitch weight and it sunk the back of my Audi so low I had to scramble to find a hitch with a rise so I could proceed with my non-refundable rental. I'm interested in renting a trailer with a hitch weight 120lb heavier than the one I rented before. I was so concerned at how very low the back of the Audi was at 437lb since the top of my tires were almost in the wheel well. It hardly seemed adequate or safe. The trailer I want to rent is heavier by a small margin both overall and on the hitch weight, should I not exceed the weight of the previous trailer to remain safe? I just don't know how much more weight my car can take on the hitch without it sinking to the ground. I'm starting to feel like Audi towing isn't all its cracked up to be. I have posted the specs of the trailer I want to rent and my Audi in hopes anyone can offer me some advice. The ball on my hitch has a max weight of 2k and the max weight on my ball mount is 6k lbs.....does that mean the trailer I'm pulling with a dry weight of 5368K lbs is just under the max the ball hitch can tow? Also should I also be installing a brake controller? When does that become necessary? Any advice would be greatly appreciated since Audi never takes my calls to answer specifics about my vehicle. Thank you kindly I really appreciate any and all advice.

2018 Cruiser RV Corp Fun Finder Xtra 23BH
GVWR 7,555 Lbs
Dry Weight 5,368 Lbs
Hitch Weight 555 Lbs
Carrying Capacity 2,139 Lbs

2018 Audi Q7 3.0
Horsepower: 333 hp
Engine: 3.0 L V6
MPG: 19 city / 25 highway
Curb weight: 4,938 lbs
Torque: 325 lb-ft
Payload: 1,541 lbs
Gross vehicle weight rating: 6,479 lbs
Old 08-21-2020, 03:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by QueenAnt
Hi! I am new to towing with my 2018 Q7 3.0
I want to rent a trailer that has a hitch weight of 555lbs (my tongue cap is 770lbs) but I recently rented a trailer with a 437lb hitch weight and it sunk the back of my Audi so low I had to scramble to find a hitch with a rise so I could proceed with my non-refundable rental. I'm interested in renting a trailer with a hitch weight 120lb heavier than the one I rented before. I was so concerned at how very low the back of the Audi was at 437lb since the top of my tires were almost in the wheel well. It hardly seemed adequate or safe. The trailer I want to rent is heavier by a small margin both overall and on the hitch weight, should I not exceed the weight of the previous trailer to remain safe? I just don't know how much more weight my car can take on the hitch without it sinking to the ground. I'm starting to feel like Audi towing isn't all its cracked up to be. I have posted the specs of the trailer I want to rent and my Audi in hopes anyone can offer me some advice. The ball on my hitch has a max weight of 2k and the max weight on my ball mount is 6k lbs.....does that mean the trailer I'm pulling with a dry weight of 5368K lbs is just under the max the ball hitch can tow? Also should I also be installing a brake controller? When does that become necessary? Any advice would be greatly appreciated since Audi never takes my calls to answer specifics about my vehicle. Thank you kindly I really appreciate any and all advice.

2018 Cruiser RV Corp Fun Finder Xtra 23BH
GVWR 7,555 Lbs
Dry Weight 5,368 Lbs
Hitch Weight 555 Lbs
Carrying Capacity 2,139 Lbs

2018 Audi Q7 3.0
Horsepower: 333 hp
Engine: 3.0 L V6
MPG: 19 city / 25 highway
Curb weight: 4,938 lbs
Torque: 325 lb-ft
Payload: 1,541 lbs
Gross vehicle weight rating: 6,479 lbs
This is for the 2006-2015 Q7, but the same sorts of advice hold for the 2017+ version. Your "lighter" rented trailer probably had a tongue weight far over the 437lbs (unless you had some sort of a scale) due to many factors. Also, I'd consider using the electric brakes, especially when you'll be on the highway. A heavy, un-braked trailer, just isn't safe to have behind you in a panic situation. The heavier trailer you want to rent will likely end up over 6k lbs when it is loaded, with probably more like 700lbs on the tongue. It sounds like you need a heavier ball and tow bar as you will exceed the rating of what you currently have. You should be able to find a Class 3 ball and tow bar (ball mount) that has up to an 8k GTWR and 8k TW rating. I use Andersen Alumistinger's which have an 8k/800 rating. The two benefits of the Andersen bar is that it is light weight, runs in the rise position, and keeps the ball closer to the back bumper. If you look at your receiver, it should have a sticker on it that shows the max ball distance from the pin. Most Reese, Curt, etc bars place the ball too far out, which increases the rear suspension sag and effective tongue weight. Yes, you have less wiggle room when hitching up when using a factory tow bar or the Andersen bar, but your back end will thank you for it.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The actual ball I use is rated similarly to the bars (I have trailers that use a 2" and others that use a 2-5/16" ball size, so I have two Andersens set up in the "rise" orientation). They really should be a matched set, and must be rated above what your trailer weights will be.
Old 08-21-2020, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 568 Likes on 450 Posts

I agree, no frigging way you rented a 7500lb GVWR trailer actually had 437lb hitch weight.. If he did both his trailer and audi woulda ended up in a ditch as soon has he went over 65mph with such a poorly balanced rig.

Trailer Spec sheets are total bull****, Tounge Weight is calculated before they added >140lbs of LP tanks, Batteries, Water, Spare Tires, Cargo, or anything.. Hitch weight was when it was dry from the factory and not fitted with anything.. I have a feeling it was closer to twice what you think it was.

Brake Controllers are required (BY LAW) on all trailers over 1 ton, this rig most definitely needs brakes.. you should abandon the deposit and not tow this thing if u dont have brakes, you should never be towing anything near the size your considering without that.. you will kill someone.

Last edited by dreadlocks; 08-21-2020 at 07:24 AM.