Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Another Sunroof Leak Story :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Sunroof Leak Story :(

In June 2010, before my Q7 warranty was expired, I requested my dealer to replace the defective sunroof drain lines, and I provided them with TSB. My dealer stated that everything was OK and nothing needed to be done. Two weeks ago while driving back from Miami, I noticed water dripping on my foot, the Q7 went to dealer and front drain lines were replaced ($450.00). I told my service advisor how lucky I was that it was not the rear drain lines, and I wanted the rear to be taken care for, to avoid costly damages in the future, and when wife picked up the car, she was told everything is fine with the rear drain.
Well Sunday night under heavy rain in Miami, I noticed a noise coming out from speakers and then sound went out (no radio, tel, nav, ...). I called Audi NA and my dealer in Central FL and no manager on duty and nobody wanted to take any responsibility. This morning my car electronics turned on due to a short circuit and car did not start. I became even more upset, called my dealer and they wanted to diagnose the problem since "one of the best technicians" checked the rear drain line before and they did not believe the sunroof is the problem, to unplug the amplifier and drive around for 10 days until I get back to Orlando.
Of course I did not follow their recommendations and went to Prestige Audi in Miami, and take a guess, the rear drain lines are in very bad condition and leaking.
Maybe I should not come to Miami anymore!!!!!
I am very upset about this, I have been trying to avoid the problem that other Q7 drivers had, and Audi has failed to provide me with a solution before the electronic damage

Last edited by RAD2; 08-05-2011 at 06:19 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

take photos and submit to the previous dealer then contact aoa.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yes, you need full reimbursement for this episode since you had asked for replacement BEFORE the warranty expired. Pathetic. ALL drains within the specified period should have been replaced under TSB.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Dealer in Orlando will pay for amplifier and labor, I hope Audi NA will cover rear drain lines. This is negligence after I requested twice to fix the drain lines. I have been waiting for the 2013 Audi Q7, but I am reconsidering ...
Old 07-20-2011, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rad, your car arrived 29 June 06, early even for this problem. You should have no worries about going again. This has not been an issue for years. We only had a resurgance when people with early VINs started to trade in (like 09 or 10) and any that were garaged previously started to show up their dormant flaw with new owners.

Its just a shame that all our work, records, posts, threads, discussions and care to collect TSBs and knowledge base counts for nothing when dealing with "experts"

Bean counters have a lot to answer for!
Old 07-20-2011, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Expert

my roof was replaced once in the begining then again just a few months ago. both times under warranty. it is an inconvenience however i was assured that with the new revised sunroof/drains this is no longer an issue. i havent had any problems and have driven in a lot of rain the past few months and no issue as of yet, even through the high pressure automated wash.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thank u

Originally Posted by Jusforfun
Rad, your car arrived 29 June 06, early even for this problem. You should have no worries about going again. This has not been an issue for years. We only had a resurgance when people with early VINs started to trade in (like 09 or 10) and any that were garaged previously started to show up their dormant flaw
with new owners.

Its just a shame that all our work, records, posts, threads, discussions and care to collect TSBs and knowledge base counts for nothing when dealing with "experts"

Bean counters have a lot to answer for!
My Q7 is under garage roof 80 % of the time, I had a leak on the right front in 04/2010, now I found out that it was the sunroof, on the phone at the time I was told the AC drain was clogged. Last week they changed the left front, today the back is being replaced. Every time time including in June when my Q7 warranty was almost expired I provided the dealer the TSB and requested them to be replaced
Old 07-20-2011, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Audi NA will not pay/cover anything, they stated "fair decision".
Does not sound fare to me, good bye Q7, good bye Audi. Replacement coming soon.
Thank you to all audiworld members in this forum.

Last edited by RAD2; 08-02-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Next time you are in Miami take it to the Collection and Ask for Nelson as service advisor.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Expert

i agree on the collection... have always had pleasant experience with them, no complaints.

Quick Reply: Another Sunroof Leak Story :(