Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

To anyone considering a Q7: GET A TDI!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 12:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Prompted by my own thread, I decided to reset the tripometers in the car, and monitor consumption. I know these aren't 100% accurate, but per Audi my wife is seeing 14.7 MPG in-town - we live in the burbs, but she only uses it for school runs and shopping, so it's stuck in traffic a lot and driving slowly (avg speed is 18 mph!).

Again, I wasn't expecting amazing consumption, but the numbers to me are surprisingly low. I never used to care about this stuff - it's only because of its large tank that I've noticed. Spending over $100 a tank on gas makes you notice!

Yes, I do regret the TFSI and would, without any hesitation, get a TDI second time around. I could live with tatty/dirty pumps and slightly more clatter. Oh, and diesel now costs quite a bit less than gasoline - at least in Atlanta. Grrrr.

Of course my wife says she doesn't care, and would never want a diesel - so perhaps this is all a bit of a moot point. It is her car after all.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

screw all this mpg talk, what are you getting from full to empty? complete tank, not guessing, not quarter tank... from a complete full tank to the light coming on.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have noticed the TFSI (333) is a bit thirstier than the 3.6., maybe 1 or 2 mpg lower on longer runs. And a bit worse tah that around town. One thing I have noticed with the 8 speed transmission is that it spends a lot of time in 6. 7&8 appear to both be Overdrives and they only really kick in on freeway cruising. This is not immediately evident until you use the paddle shifts and it shows the selected gear in the dash display. Lots of times when I would have expected it to be running in 8, i have found it to be in 6., where the 3.6 would have gone to 6 of 6. Unlike the 3.6 it now does not show each gear selected automatically, it only shows D or S which seems a bit retrograde. The OP raises an interesting point about some of the hesitation/stutter on the 8 speed, it feels a bit like th transmission/ECU mapping is still in beta mode. Sometimes it feels almost like an old-style over-fueling. I was going to ask to have the Software reflashed or checked for current patches next time at the stealer.
Unlike the OP i do not find it to be a slug, even in D. In fact I am surprised at how rarely I even bother going to S, and I am sure not a light foot!. My normal commute to the airport takes me from 6500' over the pass 9500' and back down to 5000'and on the outbound I am seeing 18-20 (compared to 20-22). On the way home if it is a late night flight and I feel like attacking the mountain I have seen it down almost to single digits!!! but more commonly around 16 when the 3.6 was around 18-20 for the same trip. It is a whole lot more responsive and fun though! Especially now I have the 21s back on....

Still tight obviously at 2k miles but my suspicion is that the mapping is still not fully sorted to match the drive-train to the Q. Anyone know if there any TSBs out there
Old 05-25-2011, 01:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DUTCH VanAtlanta
I have almost 22k miles on my 2010 Q7 TDI. I get 20-22 mpg around Atlanta and 26-27 mpg on the highway at 70-75 mph. That's about 500 miles on a tank full around town and 650-700 miles on a highway tank full.

After getting 16-17 mpg on premium gas with a 2010 V8 Cayenne, I'm very pleased! PS - Diesel is less expensive than premium gasoline, too.
Just asked the dealer - w/of offering what I was getting, the suggested I should be getting closer to 16-18 mpg on my route broken-in, while a diesel should get closer ro 20-22 mpg.

I say we put that to the test. DUTCH - you and I, driving our cars the exact same routes (highway and urban), with the electronics set to do the exact same thing, at the exact same time of day - one behind the other. I figure 10 miles of highway driving and 10 miles of suburban/urban driving should settle it! The gauntlet has been thrown down!

Seriously, though - has anyone ever done this? Strikes me that's the only way to get a true side-by-side comparison.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by iconoclast
screw all this mpg talk, what are you getting from full to empty? complete tank, not guessing, not quarter tank... from a complete full tank to the light coming on.
About 10 miles Seriously, never cared enough to measure it properly, so don't know (yet). Will need to wait until the next tabk and reset the odometer.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Expert

seriously, i never really cared about any of this nonsense... i have owned several cars and mpg was never a factor in purchasing the car... however now with this being the hot button issue i am just curious how many miles people get per tank, not too concerned with mpg.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:36 PM
LOP
AudiWorld Member

seriously, i never really cared about any of this nonsense... i have owned several cars and mpg was never a factor in purchasing the car... however now with this being the hot button issue i am just curious how many miles people get per tank, not too concerned with mpg.
I typically fill up at 1/2 tank mark...never less than 1/4...better on fuel pump that way, never run it to warning or empty!!! I calculate avg mpg the old fashion way...number of miles driven divided by number of gallons consumed, DONE!

So I cannot tell you what I get per tank but if I had to guess, I would say in the neighborhood of 385-450...that is why avg. mpg is a much more accurate number.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Expert

mileage per tank is more accurate in my opinion...

i usually fill up at quarter as well and at that point i am in the 65/70 miles area however from time to time i go to completely empty if i have techron in the tank or audi fuel additive then i can accurately see how many mpg i got because the audi calculation is hardly ever accurate.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Already posted in one of my previous posts.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by nhs156
Oh - and one more thing - I "feel" like the 8-speed transmission is actually contributing to the terrible fuel consumption, but suspect that this line of thinking is not logical!

In "D" (not "S") this thing is a SLUG to drive - feels like its always in too high a gear, and stutters/hesitates when it suddenly gets "told" to move. That irritates to the point where you almost subconsciously press the gas pedal harder to spurn it into action. I wasn't expecting high performance, but I really am not a fan of the 8-speed transmission - way too unresponsive. "S" mode significantly improves responsiveness, but logicially would sacrifice mileage. Damned if you, damned if you don't....

So, aside from the gas mileage and drivetrain, I love this thing

I am having the same issue w/ the 8-speed transmission. It seems confused when slowing and accelerating in D-mode. Does this get better w/ time. I expected a smooth seemless gear change system and it is actually a bit irritating. I have the S-line prestige w/ 21" rims and the ride w/ air suspension is GREAT. I love everythig about this SUV except the transmission. I only have 125 miles on it so hoping it will loosen up....

Quick Reply: To anyone considering a Q7: GET A TDI!