Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

anyone have alignment/pulling issues with a 2011?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone have alignment/pulling issues with a 2011?

Since new my 2011 Sline has had issues with pulling to the right. Initially when it was checked, they claimed it was just a tire issue and by swapping back and front they had cured it. Of course this did nothing and it still had the issue where it would dive to the right if you didn't keep steering input. Very annoying on a long trip. Eventually got it back in to them and, as I had expected, they found that the alignment was out. So, taht has been fixed and is supposed to be spot on now but i haven't got it back yet as it appears there is still a slight pull in it. The service manager then tried their demonstrator, which has the same 21 inch/dunlop wheel/tire combo and found that it showed the same symptoms. Now i am not talking about the normal tramlining that you get with 35 series tires, this is a definite tug to the right. Anyone else noticed any similar symptoms?

They did at least give me an S4 while mine is in the shop. It is a lot of fun when you set it in sport/dynamic mode. The 7 speed S-tronic/twin clutch box is a whole lot better than the 8 speed auto as well
Old 09-25-2011, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scotskier
Since new my 2011 Sline has had issues with pulling to the right. Initially when it was checked, they claimed it was just a tire issue and by swapping back and front they had cured it. Of course this did nothing and it still had the issue where it would dive to the right if you didn't keep steering input. Very annoying on a long trip. Eventually got it back in to them and, as I had expected, they found that the alignment was out. So, taht has been fixed and is supposed to be spot on now but i haven't got it back yet as it appears there is still a slight pull in it. The service manager then tried their demonstrator, which has the same 21 inch/dunlop wheel/tire combo and found that it showed the same symptoms. Now i am not talking about the normal tramlining that you get with 35 series tires, this is a definite tug to the right. Anyone else noticed any similar symptoms?

They did at least give me an S4 while mine is in the shop. It is a lot of fun when you set it in sport/dynamic mode. The 7 speed S-tronic/twin clutch box is a whole lot better than the 8 speed auto as well
Not a true fix, but I experience the same thing with our '07. Lead tech, who's a friend, said he'd heard that a slight pull to the right is built into the car so if you fall asleep, you'll wander to the right and not into oncoming traffic. FWIW. Now, I let 5 psi out of the left front tire and added 5 psi to the right. Almost (but not quite) perfect.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Then my car should wander into traffic as I am RHD. What about road camber?
Just drive down the wrong side of the road to see if it wanders left instead of right.
If you crash and get killed or break your legs doing it, dont come running to me
Old 09-26-2011, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jusforfun
Just drive down the wrong side of the road to see if it wanders left instead of right.
If you crash and get killed or break your legs doing it, dont come running to me
To truly test the theory, I'd have to actually fall asleep! Not that brave. In the States, with product liability being what it is, dealerships aren't too keen to tweak the settings out of factory spec to compensate for a slight pull. It's the same with the seatbelt chime. We all know you can use VAG-COM to kill the chime but good luck finding a dealer willing to do that.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jusforfun
already tried that to make sure .

I knew the original issue was alignment as it would turn in perfectly to the right but understeer a lot to the left - too bad it took 2 trips to persuade them!.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

or a seatbelt extender. The easy solution is put on your seatbelt... and yes they chime over here too. The only difference is ours stop after about 100 seconds.
I am actually more fed up with my parking sensors false alarming every time it rains.... The paint has slight bubbles on a couple of them and once wet the only solution is to get out and rub them with my thumb nail.

To the OP 21" have always been harder to balance and tune suspension. I dont think it is MY related, it is individual.