Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

anyone have experience with air suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone have experience with air suspension?

Does the air suspension actually make a noticeable softer ride? Hate to spend the $$ and find out that it does not----cant find any around here to drive.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I thought it did on the comfort setting.

We had a 3.6 standard suspension Q as a loaner while we waited for our 4.2 with air suspension. The 3.6 standard seemed like it rode somewhere inbetween the comfort and auto setting, closer to auto but a touch softer.

Dynamic is *rock* hard and I think we've used it all of once.

My wife flat out demanded the air option (which is unusual for her) when she saw the rear load feature. And the 'off road' setting has been useful already when we had to use it to clear a fallen tree after a big wind storm.

But if gee-whiz options aren't you're thing I'd spend the money somewhere else. I know I could've easily done without it.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: I thought it did on the comfort setting.

Can you get a 3.6 with air suspension?
Old 12-13-2007, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

No clue. The 3.6 standard suspension was all I had to compare with.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default personally we love ours and if I had to do it over again would pay the $'s

Of course I live in Boston and it helps absorb the bumps, heaves and pot holes the roads here throw at you. If you live out west with better roads it might not be needed.

I had no hesitations and no regrets after 14K miles.
Kevin
Old 12-13-2007, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: anyone have experience with air suspension?

We have it on a 4.2P S-Line. We drive in dynamic all time. Occasionally on highway trips I'll switch to comfort. My wife never uses it and it is her car, always leaves it in comfort mode. Doesn't even use the load feature...
Old 12-14-2007, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Air can make noticable difference each mode

Not only will it lower the car with each setting but also stiffens shock effect too.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default You got that backwards!

Pointless setting Comfort for highway trips as it lowers itself at speed despite comfort setting. That stablises car for speed and saves fuel aerodynamically. Highways tend to be smoother too.
You should be using Auto or comfort for local driving as you are more likely to tackle Kerbs, ramps potholes etc. It also makes twists and turns stops and starts more comfortable.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Not really. Yank freeways aren't much smoother than surface streets.

We leave it in auto around town because that's where you're encountering turns. Plus our speed limits are horribly low, so I don't think the suspension ever gets a chance to lower does it? I've never seen the height bar lower from midway myself.

We set it to comfort on the freeway because we're just pounding straight ahead. U.S. freeways aren't very curvy, it's just a lot of straight ahead driving.

On the freeway difference between auto and comfort is noticeable.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:31 PM

Default The big annoyance with air suspension is the waste of fuel etc...

because the only way to activate the full freeway mode is to travel at 160km/h for 20 seconds - which is illegal in most places. This mode maximises stability and lowers fuel consumption but should be able to be accessible without such speeds. I wonder if i am the only one frustrated by not having an option to trigger this at a lower speed?

Even the first drop in height requires 120km/h which again is a high speed by many countries laws. Surely many of us would wish to drop the height to maximise stability and reduce fuel on highways- we need the height on certain roads only and there has to be an alternative to travelling at 160 (or even 120) to indicate to the car 'i am on a good road now!'

Quick Reply: anyone have experience with air suspension?