Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Anyway to disable rear passenger power door locks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 04:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyway to disable rear passenger power door locks?

After a boneheaded move, I left my keys in the car while my 2 1/2 year old daughter was in the backseat during refueling. Of course she kicked the power door lock and locked herself in the car. Luckily it wasn't a warm or sunny day as it took about 30 to 45 minutes for my wife to bring the other key. I kept telling my daughter to keep kicking the switch in hopes that it would unlock.

When I finally got my daughter out of the car I realized that there is only a door lock button in the backseat. What kind of an idiot designed that? Only the driver should have the ability to lock the doors!

Is there any way to disable the rear powerlock switches other than disconnecting them?

Thanks for any help!
Old 07-09-2007, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Glad it turned out okay, but I don't think I want rear seat passengers to have

the ability to unlock all doors. If they want out of their own door they can pull the handle twice and get out. This is the reason I always roll my drivers window down at least part way in a situation like this where I don't have my keys.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Noticed that my toddler keeps kicking the door lock button too.

I couldn't find anything in the manual so I'll be watching this thread. Not a great design for a family hauler. But his new car seat that should be here soon is much lower so we're hoping he can't reach it easily like he can now.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:47 PM

Default I noticed this issue early on in ownership. Resovled it by...

...hiding the black plastic spare key that came with the car under the body taping it on solidly in a hard to find place. I'd much rather be scrambling under the car and have access in a few minutes than have to wait for the wife or recovery service to arrive.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I brought this up to my dealer 8 months ago after my toddler did the same thing.

The dealer took the complaint to Audi of America. AoA agreed this was a big issue and passed it onto Germany. That is the last I've heard and I don't think anything has changed on newer Q7s.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Turn on child locks?....
Old 07-12-2007, 06:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Doesn't work

My son did this too.

What effect does the child lock have anyways? Does it disable the power window and the door opening but still allow the power locks to be turned on and off?
Old 07-12-2007, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Child locks will disable the door from opening from the inside...

the rear controls for the 4-zone climate and the rear controls from the power sunshade on the panoramic roof.
Old 03-16-2021, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Bad feature

Happening to us/ my 2.5 ye old son realized he can reach and click the red light door lock button from his car seat. Delighted with this new skill. With car running and BoTH sets of keys outside with us my son locked us out of car until we could coax 5 yr old out of car seat and open driver door - he was in tears and very stressed (as was I)....why can this happen? Dealer telling me in service no way to disable this door lock and it locks all doors and key fob does not work. Very scary. Any way to disable this people have found? Hard to believe i am the only parent dealing with this
Old 03-16-2021, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 167 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by twinmommy25
Happening to us/ my 2.5 ye old son realized he can reach and click the red light door lock button from his car seat. Delighted with this new skill. With car running and BoTH sets of keys outside with us my son locked us out of car until we could coax 5 yr old out of car seat and open driver door - he was in tears and very stressed (as was I)....why can this happen? Dealer telling me in service no way to disable this door lock and it locks all doors and key fob does not work. Very scary. Any way to disable this people have found? Hard to believe i am the only parent dealing with this
I'm confused - promise I'm not trying to be obtuse here but - you said both keys were outside the car? Why not use the physical key to unlock the doors?

Quick Reply: Anyway to disable rear passenger power door locks?