Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Audi Connect Dont work

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 09:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Connect Dont work

Hi All, I recently got a T-Mobile SIM card. This is SIM card works fine in Apple Iphone. I was able to make call, browse internet.... everything works.

When I put it in my Audi, my Google Map works. Which means the data connection is there.

When I try to look up my google send address, it doesnt retrieve anything.

When I try to use Audi Connect, it just sit there .. doesnt load anything. Then eventually fail.

On the Data APN, i had tried:

m2m.t-mobile.com
fast.t-mobile.com
epc.t-mobile.com

anyone know any fix?
Old 06-21-2017, 11:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

1/30 tries will work. Once a while it Audi Connect work. Its just very unreliable. The signal strength is not bad, 3 bar at least. But most of time it just sit there spinning... very frusted. I even use my own iphone tmobile sim card and same issue.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,069 Likes on 743 Posts

I don't have this from an official source at T-Mobile, but I make my living in Technology and networking is one of my interests. Based on public information, T-Mobile is the first or one of the first carriers that has switched their wireless network to IPv6-only in response to the exhaustion of IPv4 addresses. As any IPv6-only network, they are using transition technologies such as NAT64/DNS64 to allow IPv6 devices to communicate with legacy IPv4 hosts.

Legacy devices that don't fully support IPv6-only don't work on T-Mobile's network anymore and I suspect that the older generation MMI doesn't fully support IPv6. This I don't have from a confirmed source, but I suspect that T-Mobile continues to maintain legacy IPv4 services for such devices, but the device has to be provisioned for it.

If you are just taking a T-Mobile SIM, it is most likely not provisioned with this legacy support. If you get a SIM through Audi connect, then it will be provisioned properly. There are third-party SIMs that use T-Mobile's network such as US Mobile that have also stopped working if used in the MMI with exactly the same symptoms as yours.

I believe your only option is to sign up for one of the official Audi connect plans and get a properly provisioned SIM card.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

A couple of additional points that I forgot to mention. What IMEI did you give T-Mobile when you activated this SIM? The first step would be to give them the proper IMEI from the MMI. The IMEI identifies the device you are going to use with the SIM, so the carrier provisions the correct services. If you give them the IMEI from a phone or another device they will provision services for that device, which may not work with the MMI. Sounds like T-Mobile activated this SIM for a phone, since you mention that you get voice service when you insert the SIM into your iPhone.

I haven't used T-Mobile for quite a while. I'm using AT&T since my telephone module got upgraded and I noticed the other day that at least AT&T is using a dedicated Audi APN. Maybe somebody with a working T-Mobile setup can post their APN or you can try and see if the Audi APN works on T-Mobile.
Attached Thumbnails Audi Connect Dont work-20170622_151359422_ios.jpg  
Old 06-22-2017, 10:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hmm.. It makes some sense .. but not really.

My google earth works fine. If its truely IPV6 issue, then the google earth would have fail. But, my google earth map works 100%.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 568 Likes on 450 Posts

What Vehicle? If its older than 2014 then you got a radio using old T-Mobile radio frequencies and in some areas of the country the service is simply terrible since they changed most of the frequencies not long ago.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dreadlocks
What Vehicle? If its older than 2014 then you got a radio using old T-Mobile radio frequencies and in some areas of the country the service is simply terrible since they changed most of the frequencies not long ago.
its 2015 Q7. and Tmobile is 3+ bar most of the time.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Shinchan
Hmm.. It makes some sense .. but not really.

My google earth works fine. If its truely IPV6 issue, then the google earth would have fail. But, my google earth map works 100%.
How do you know Google Earth works? The satellite images are cached and continue to display even w/o a data connection. Try zooming all the way in to Street View and see if it loads. Even so, the various Audi connect services are backed by different servers and I'm sure different teams worked on the different modules, so just because one module works doesn't rule out the other modules having issues. It's probably not a pure client side issue.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

i reset the data connection usage. After 30min of driving, it I got 200Kb usage. and Audi connect works for this morning.. but it stop working again. This is very frustrated. But.. Google earth work every time.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 568 Likes on 450 Posts

30mins of driving should use alot more than 200Kb of data if its pulling fresh imagery from Google Maps, I bought mine from another area.. turned on AudiConnect w/the SIM it came with and it downloaded tens of Megabytes pretty much out of the gate.

Quick Reply: Audi Connect Dont work