Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Audi Connect and Google Maps

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 08:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Connect and Google Maps

So, curious... if you pay for the Audi Connect and you have access to the Google Maps does it stay current? As in would you still have to purchase the MMI update to get updated maps?
Old 04-19-2013, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by RD50X04
So, curious... if you pay for the Audi Connect and you have access to the Google Maps does it stay current? As in would you still have to purchase the MMI update to get updated maps?
You don't get Google maps, but Google earth. It is an satellite based visual overlay on the map data. The roads and routing themselves are on the hard drive, and this does not get updated. So, the satellite Google Earth will show a picture of a new road, but your MMI doesn't actually know this is new road and will not route your trip using the new road, unless you update the hard drive based maps from Audi by SD card or DVD.

If you use Google points of interest, either through voice command, online destinations or the online POI search, you will be able to find new business, but routing will take you on old roads, or may indicate destination is not on "digitized road".

So,yes, you would still need to purchase MMI update to allow the MMI to route on new maps, but you can find new businesses.

I find the Google POI search more important than the Google Earth overlay.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

This has been what I have been trying to understand. So, data plan ($$) is for POI, Sirius ($$) is for traffic routing / info, and the installed maps (updates $$) is navigation. Everything I get with my phone ($$) and Google maps (free). Perhaps Audi should scrap their installed maps and Sirius and go with Google. A few less dollars signs.

Originally Posted by RD50X04
Old 04-20-2013, 07:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joeg829
This has been what I have been trying to understand. So, data plan ($$) is for POI, Sirius ($$) is for traffic routing / info, and the installed maps (updates $$) is navigation. Everything I get with my phone ($$) and Google maps (free). Perhaps Audi should scrap their installed maps and Sirius and go with Google. A few less dollars signs.
looks like it is going that way, but with apple instead of google
http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/19/v...hrough-a-dock/
Old 04-26-2013, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by joeg829
The only problem with relying on Google maps exclusively is if you are traveling in an area with limited or no cell signal for data.

Last edited by weth; 04-26-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

can someone post a photo of what google maps street view looks like on mmi-3g+???

whenever i zoom in or reach a destination and the mmi zooms in automatically everything is blurry and you cannot make out anything.

second issue when i use online poi it says service not available... every time meanwhile every other portion of the service works.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by iconoclast
can someone post a photo of what google maps street view looks like on mmi-3g+???

whenever i zoom in or reach a destination and the mmi zooms in automatically everything is blurry and you cannot make out anything.

second issue when i use online poi it says service not available... every time meanwhile every other portion of the service works.
It sounds like you do not have an Internet connection, or a valid SIM, or the correct APN.
Attached Images  
Old 04-27-2013, 02:17 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Everything works except the street view and the online POI. When I return I will schedule a service with my dealer to take a look at it.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by iconoclast
Everything works except the street view and the online POI. When I return I will schedule a service with my dealer to take a look at it.
Sorry, I missed you wanted a street view capture
Attached Images  
Old 04-30-2013, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Audi Connect Music Stream

Has anybody used the iphone app "audi connect music stream"?. It looks very similar to bmw connect.

Quick Reply: Audi Connect and Google Maps