Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Audi Q7 TDI buying guide, any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 10:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Q7 TDI buying guide, any suggestions?

I put together this FAQ for the Q7 TDI that explains options, give tips, etc., that is just for the TDI.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/q...-forum-faq.htm

And would like feedback from Audi Q7 owners. Any quirks, things to look out for when buying, or additions to the article you would like to see? Any mistakes you see? Thank you for any feedback, all suggestions will be taken. Feel free to join my Audi Q7 TDI forum as well, it's just TDI.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Any feedback or improvements to the article will be taken.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, that is a lot of data, impressive. Why just the TDI?
Old 09-26-2010, 09:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My Audi TDI forum is just TDI. I don't own a Q7 TDI so I'm just looking to help Q7 TDI owners through the buying process. I don't sell cars and I am not in competition with Audiworld since it's only TDI and they very graciously let me ask this question here despite being another car forum.

Are there anything like items to inspect or check when you pick up the car, quirks that you may not find, tricks or tips that are buried in the owner's manual?

I put it together because Audi's site isn't that great at explaining the differences or features and most salesman don't know much about the cars they're selling.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chittychittybangbang
My Audi TDI forum is just TDI. I don't own a Q7 TDI so I'm just looking to help Q7 TDI owners through the buying process. I don't sell cars and I am not in competition with Audiworld since it's only TDI and they very graciously let me ask this question here despite being another car forum.

Are there anything like items to inspect or check when you pick up the car, quirks that you may not find, tricks or tips that are buried in the owner's manual?

I put it together because Audi's site isn't that great at explaining the differences or features and most salesman don't know much about the cars they're selling.
One thing that snagged me... The option for the 21 inch wheels makes it close to impossible to drive in snow... As far as I know there is only one tire option for all-seasons and they are very expensive.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Good job on the buyer guide.

One small thing I learned is that you need a new jack if the car has running boards. The jack that comes with the Q7 is not compatible if the factory running boards are installed. I have no idea what compatibility issues may arise with after-market running boards, but people should plan on spending the $160 on the jack if they want to have the ability to change a flat roadside. If buying pre-owned and running boards are installed this should be investigated.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks, both suggestions have been added!

arU4ic, just to clarify, do you mean that the wheel isn't good for snow because the tire is not great and because there's only 1 tire option in that size you're stuck with it? The other possibility of what you mean is that the wheel is wider than the 20" wheel (I don't know) which reduces snow traction.

You want narrower tires for snow because they put more force on a smaller area which cuts through the snow and puts the tire in contact with the road.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

You note:

"There is a no cost option to remove the panorama sunroof."

This is true to the extent that they don't charge you extra to order without the sunroof. However, the sunroof is included in the package, so if you do a sunroof delete, you are still "paying" for the sunroof without getting it. It was worth it to me when I ordered my 2010 TDI without the sunroof, but a little frustrating that I was paying for something I did not get.

Mike