Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Audi Q7 ticking noise from rear trunk.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 06:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Q7 ticking noise from rear trunk.

Hi all,
Just bought a preowned Audi Q7 and at once noticed a ticking sound coming from the rear.. It only comes when the surface is uneven or when the rear tyres are not even.. (Not on humps)
At first the local garage said that it might be a suspension part which needs repairs but further inspection showed that all parts were ok..
Later I decided to do some research on my own .. I got myself at the back seat and started to examine the noise while my wife drove .. It looks like the ticking noise is coming from the trunk itself .. And I can actually feel the vibration of the "tick" when I place my hand on the plastic piece attached to the trunk.I also tried to push or pull different parts from inside but the noise still remains ... I think when the car goes on an uneven surface, the whole trunk assembly moves, hits or rubs against something and makes that noise ..
Anyone has had any similar problems? Any solution?
Old 04-03-2016, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

I am a stickler for rattles, squeaks, etc in my cars. I too recently purchased a pre-owned Audi. And it has it fair share of noises coming from the back. Tightened down the jack helped. Put cushioning around loose stuff in the storage area under the back floor. A friend said the roll up cover over the rear area might be rattling. And on it goes!
A ticking noise brought to mind a rock or something stuck in the tire grooves perhaps?
Old 04-03-2016, 12:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by surflj
I am a stickler for rattles, squeaks, etc in my cars. I too recently purchased a pre-owned Audi. And it has it fair share of noises coming from the back. Tightened down the jack helped. Put cushioning around loose stuff in the storage area under the back floor. A friend said the roll up cover over the rear area might be rattling. And on it goes!
A ticking noise brought to mind a rock or something stuck in the tire grooves perhaps?

Hi thanks for the reply,
The noise is like a rock or gravel hitting against the trunk but the movement of the car is not that shaky as to the sound of a rock hitting ...

I have a feeling it has something to do with the rubber feets given to adjust the trunk
Old 04-07-2016, 07:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

i have a 2009 Audi, and while the car is smooth on straight roads, there is a ticking noise which comes every time the road is uneven. the air suspension dynamic mode makes it worse.
at first i thought it was the suspension but that doesnt seem to be the problem. the ticking/thump noise is actually coming from the trunk lip somewhere.
i tried to open up the top part of the trunk and went through all the motors etc but everything seems to be in place...
can you please check something ....

once the trunk it fully opened, try to push it further with your hands and then try to bring it down ... does it make a ticking or thumping noise? the only noise i found in the trunk lid was this sound which looked as if the hinge is loose or something ..
Old 04-07-2016, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Enerlevel, I will try what you asked later, actually it's finally raining today in So Cal today
Old 04-11-2016, 05:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

ll,
Just want to update that my rattle and ticking noise is solved.
I just sprayed some WD-40 on the trunk lid lock and the latch and also the hinge which connects the trunk to the car.
No more rattles
Old 04-11-2016, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Glad to hear that you found the issue, I'll give a look at my latch etc and see if it needs a bit of lube.