Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Battery Replacement reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Replacement reprogram

I got my battery replaced by a car mechanic since the dealer was charging $700 to replace it. The mechanic attached some battery pack to keep the juice in the computer so that he didnt have to reprogram. After the battery replacement its been 2 days and seems like the battery is behaving as if its not been replaced. It doesnt have enought power to crank up the engine.

My question is, if the reprogram is a Must after the replacement. I read somewhere that it is, since the system still thinks its the old battery and doesnt do power management on the new battery. Please let me know.

Thanks
Old 02-05-2013, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by achow26
I got my battery replaced by a car mechanic since the dealer was charging $700 to replace it. The mechanic attached some battery pack to keep the juice in the computer so that he didnt have to reprogram. After the battery replacement its been 2 days and seems like the battery is behaving as if its not been replaced. It doesnt have enought power to crank up the engine.

My question is, if the reprogram is a Must after the replacement. I read somewhere that it is, since the system still thinks its the old battery and doesnt do power management on the new battery. Please let me know.

Thanks
I think you may have a power drain somewhere. The battery management wouldn't make a new battery go dead in 2 days. Did the mechanic hook up diagnostics to see if any fault codes are present?
Old 02-05-2013, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you must clear all the error codes and then program the new battery to the car with the model and serial number of the new battery , otherwise the car will not charge the new battery to its full capacity and will cause starting problems
Old 02-05-2013, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xlr8it
you must clear all the error codes and then program the new battery to the car with the model and serial number of the new battery , otherwise the car will not charge the new battery to its full capacity and will cause starting problems
Who, besides Audi Corporate Accounting, thinks this is a good idea? I love my Q7 but Jesus! I see no advantage to having a battery management system when you factor in battery replacement costs. I should be able to go down to NAPA and buy a replacement battery and pop it in right there in the parking lot and be on my way. Just because I bought an Audi doesn't mean I have to embrace a Rube Goldberg system. (I know. It actually does but it still drives me nuts!)

Last edited by pchansen; 02-05-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by weth
I think you may have a power drain somewhere. The battery management wouldn't make a new battery go dead in 2 days. Did the mechanic hook up diagnostics to see if any fault codes are present?
I took the car to the dealer and they did the diagnostic and pointed out it was the faulty battery. According to them there was a dead cell. I did not let them change the battery as they were charging $750 to replace it. I changed the battery myself.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by achow26
I took the car to the dealer and they did the diagnostic and pointed out it was the faulty battery. According to them there was a dead cell. I did not let them change the battery as they were charging $750 to replace it. I changed the battery myself.
WOW! They wanted $750 to replace the battery? I know there is a re-and-re on the seat for the Q7 but that is still insane. The battery cost at my local dealer is $199 and with my ACNA member discount, that brings it down to about $170.

The Audi battery management system is a PITA. I replaced one myself 1.5 years ago and used a VAGCOM to reprogram the model/serial #. 12 months later, it was acting funny - sounding almost dead. Dealer said battery was fine but the management system needed reprogramming and to do that, it needed a fresh battery. So, another $300 later (cost for battery + reprogramming), we were back in business.

You can read more about my experience at https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2836321.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

there is a write up linked in the DIY section of spreadsheet inc all torque settings and link to ross tech wiki.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So I have been to Audi Dealer and another Audi mechanic. They do not see any issues with the battery drain. They say one they turn off the car they see a minimal drain on .3 amps, which they say is normal. I got the car back from the mechanic and let it stand overnight, same issue. It would not start. I am running out of options now. Anyone been thru this and who has a fix? Please let me know what you did to fix this. If nothing else comes up in next few weeks I am gonna sell this F***IN POS.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I finally found the issue myself. None of the mechanics could find any problems with battery drain issue. I took out the 30 amp fuse for the DSP, let the car stand overnight. Wallah!!!! the problem is gone. There is no longer drain issue, but now the Issue is how to get the DSP fixed. The DSP fuse controls the complete MMI. Can anyone let me know if they found a fix for this issue. In my opinion it should be a recall, when so many people are having problem with DSP draining the battery.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

DSP, is it a MY2007? Cos if it is you problem in not the battery or the DSP its the sunroof!

Quick Reply: Battery Replacement reprogram