Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

BEWARE when washing your Q, you could get a cracked windshield!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BEWARE when washing your Q, you could get a cracked windshield!

So, on Saturday my hubby was washing the Q and while he had the wipers up to clean the windshield the towel hit the wiper arm and it went crashing down and in the process the wiper blade popped off and the metal clip that holds the blade slammed into the windshield! He was left with a shattered hole and 7 cracks going up the windshield that are 3-9 inches long. He called Audi Customer Care first thing Monday morning and they were very sympathetic and said they'd see what they could do and informed us to go to our local dealer for them to look at it. Well, when I took it in Tuesday the guy said they can't do anything because it's not a warranty issue and it'll cost $530 to replace. I left unhappy, called the hubby, he was unhappy too. But later in the day the dealer called and expressed their sympathy as well since we've only had the car 6 weeks and offered to split the cost with us. Yes, I'll take it!! That is a fair solution and I'm satisfied. Now we just have to wait for the windshield to arrive from Germany.
So, all you handwashers out there, use extra caution when the wipers are up!
Old 05-17-2007, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Good tip - sorry to hear about it. You could also place the wipers in the service position via MMI.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Sorry for you...begs the questions

Were they in service position? Where did it hit the screen?

I usually lift them a little from parked position and clean carefully along the length underneath just as I finish screen..no fuss. they are never too bad down there anyway.
Its easy to see how the towel could flick off the blade due to the clip system in use on the Q. I remember how mine tangled when the cranking arm came loose. The Drivers blade unclipped and flew off the car in pieces.
Glad to be aware of the potential and will always think of you guys when doing my screen from now on.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:58 PM

Default No, wipers weren't in service position. But they will be from now on!!

It hit very low on the windshield on the driver's side. You can't see the point of impact while sitting in the car, but the cracks are creeping into my line of sight.