Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Brake pad light reset

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 04:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a bad new sensor when I did the pad upgrade on our Q and had the same issue come up. I took a small piece of wire and unplugged each sensor and tested until the light went out. It turned out to be the last wheel I did and fortunately, I had a spare front sensor that I used to replace.

Alternately, you can unplug each sensor and use a VOM to check resistivity which will also tell you which sensors are bad.

You can get to the sensor plugs with the wheels on if you get up underneath.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Ridiculous of product quality for Q7 Brake Pads&Disc

I purchased Audi Q7 in 2013. I don't drive it too much. The brake pad's lights turned on when it was only 17,000 miles. I went to the Audi Dealer and I was told that the brake pads and discs need to be replaced for $2100cad cost. The Audi Dealer also told me that the pads&discs supposed to be replaced every 20,000 miles, too ridiculous for the Audi Q7.
Old 11-26-2015, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Why the large font?
You might be happier on another forum I think.
The following 2 users liked this post by Edd W:
Captbrad (12-11-2021), naps45 (12-06-2023)
Old 11-28-2015, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 257 Likes on 217 Posts

Pad and rotor life is very dependent on use. Lots of city stop and go and heavy braking will shorten life a lot. Our 2011 TDI Q7 had 20,000 miles on it when we bought it. The Pads were getting thin by 35000 miles and I replaced them with OEM. I did not change rotors. Those replacement pads and the original rotors are now at 85000 miles. Still have never actuated a wear sensor. I will be changing pads AND rotors soon though.
Pads and rotors cost approx $600 from the dealership if you get a bit of a discount or order online.
I have been very happy with the brakes on the Q7.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If he is in Canada why is he talking about miles?

I suspect a troll.
The following users liked this post:
naps45 (12-06-2023)
Old 11-30-2015, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by J. Patterson
Pad and rotor life is very dependent on use. Lots of city stop and go and heavy braking will shorten life a lot. Our 2011 TDI Q7 had 20,000 miles on it when we bought it. The Pads were getting thin by 35000 miles and I replaced them with OEM. I did not change rotors. Those replacement pads and the original rotors are now at 85000 miles. Still have never actuated a wear sensor. I will be changing pads AND rotors soon though.
Pads and rotors cost approx $600 from the dealership if you get a bit of a discount or order online.
I have been very happy with the brakes on the Q7.
I can second your experience. We got about 40k out of the front pads/discs on a Touareg and I just did the front brakes on our Q7. Based on the previous owner records and the current mileage, we got about 35k on the front pads/discs. I bought pads and rotors for all 4 corners, but only had time to do the front axle, which fortunately turned off the dash warning. What impresses me about the braking system is how large the rotors and 6 piston front calipers are. It is a performance braking system on this car and is naturally going to cost more to maintain.

The "ALL CAPS POSTER" should remember that service writers are paid by what they sell, so it should come as no surprise that if you are close to a limit on a measurable wear item, they are going to try to upsell you, even if you could reasonably get another 5k-7k worth of mileage before it really needs to be done.
meausoc (04-15-2020)
Old 12-01-2015, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Edd W
If he is in Canada why is he talking about miles?

I suspect a troll.
Not to defend the "yelling" in caps, but the metric system was phased in over a long time so there are a lot of people up here who still use some Imperial in every day use (especially if born maybe pre 1970-ish). Further, after about 10 yrs into it, things stalled a bit and the government got soft on forcing everything to change.

Currently, some things are totally metric across most/all of the population, some things depend on how old you are (younger = more metric), and some things are still very much Imperial.

It's complicated being Canadian.....
Meyer76a (11-02-2023)
Old 12-01-2015, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sorry, new to the forum, can't figure out how to modify the post to small size of font.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The brake pads lights came on when it was just 28,000km. The front left pad is only 3mm left which caused pads lights on. Get it replaced with all OEM parts(Pagid brake pads and Zimmermann roters) for the front wheels at $600cad cost outside of the dealer. This is pretty good deal compare to the rip off price from dealer.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I take it back, you clearly not a troll, I just thought your first post had signs of trollisms, sorry.

I doubt your front rotors needed replacing. My Q7 is now at 134k miles and is still only on its second set on the front and rear and they are still good many miles yet. Mine is 4.2tdi but I guess the spec of the brakes is the same.

In England we have a mixed economy when it come to measurements. We buy fuel in litres, measure distance in miles and work out fuel economy in miles per gallon (UK). We weight ourselves in stones but buy food in grams and kilograms and like the whole world, measure tyres in inches for diameter, mm for width and percentage for aspect ratio!
Faithback (01-10-2024)

Quick Reply: Brake pad light reset