Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Brake pad light reset

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2020, 03:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

I used Textar on mine, about 45-50k of hard usage on them. I'll replace them with the same, once I get back home as they're due to pop the sensors in the next few thousand miles, I believe (currently deployed).

Front: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/por...16#description
Front Hardware: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/aud...vag-7l0698269a
Front Caliper Bolts: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/aud...-vag-n90685403

Rear: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/por...ar-95535293904
Rear Hardware: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/aud...-vag-7l0698269
Rear Caliper Bolts: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/aud...-vag-n10555602
Old 03-10-2021, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I have the same problem as you. If possible please send either the video or instructions to use VCDS. Thank you in advance. Will.
Old 03-10-2021, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 776 Likes on 643 Posts
Default INACTIVE THREAD

Originally Posted by wblake1
Hello, I have the same problem as you. If possible please send either the video or instructions to use VCDS. Thank you in advance. Will.
Hi, this is an old, inactive thread, but if you read all the way through this thread you will find the issue resides with the wear sensor being tripped/faulty, and not replaced, or that the connectors from car were corroded, and so it wasn't registering the new sensor (sensor loop) attached to it, and thus the light is triggered. Cleaning the contacts and verifying all pad sensors are connected securely/correctly resolves the issue. Everything corrodes over time and these reside in a harsh environment; use contact electronics spray, and if severely corroded you will need to get in there with some fine tools and do a bit of descaling, like a dentist does on your teeth, etc. Please read through the thread and make note of when it was last active. As a new member there are threads to introduce you to this forum and how it functions.
Best,
The following users liked this post:
Faithback (01-10-2024)
Old 04-20-2021, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Good Morning,
I appreciate if you help me to reset the brake pad light via VCDS.
I changed my rear rotors and pads and put new sensors on, the brake pad light is on and dose not go off.

Thank you very much
Old 04-20-2021, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 257 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by abarmard
Good Morning,
I appreciate if you help me to reset the brake pad light via VCDS.
I changed my rear rotors and pads and put new sensors on, the brake pad light is on and dose not go off.

Thank you very much
VCDS is not required to reset the brake pad warning light. It simply responds to an open circuit at one of the sensors. I suggest you take one of your old sensors and strip the wires back and tie them together. Use that test sensor to find your problem by moving it from one wheel to the other until it makes the light go out.
Old 04-21-2021, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 167 Likes on 126 Posts

I changed mine last year and I had the same problem where the light did not go out after the change. Guys on here suggested that I needed to drive swhile and it would eventually go out, so I did. After about two months or so I noticed that it did indeed go out. Not sure if something was loose but I did refit the connectors and that did not help. I'd suggest just driving with it for awhile and see what happens. I've you've already changed the pads there's no need to be concerned about not having brakes so there's nothing to lose really.
Old 12-06-2023, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by '10Q7TDI_Prestige'
Hi, this is an old, inactive thread, but if you read all the way through this thread you will find the issue resides with the wear sensor being tripped/faulty, and not replaced, or that the connectors from car were corroded, and so it wasn't registering the new sensor (sensor loop) attached to it, and thus the light is triggered. Cleaning the contacts and verifying all pad sensors are connected securely/correctly resolves the issue. Everything corrodes over time and these reside in a harsh environment; use contact electronics spray, and if severely corroded you will need to get in there with some fine tools and do a bit of descaling, like a dentist does on your teeth, etc. Please read through the thread and make note of when it was last active. As a new member there are threads to introduce you to this forum and how it functions.
Best,
that being said, and done—my brake light on the dash STILL didn’t turn off.

pads are new, reservoir is full.
Old 12-06-2023, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 275 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by naps45
that being said, and done—my brake light on the dash STILL didn’t turn off.

pads are new, reservoir is full.
These things can be a real pain. I would suggest using compressed air to blow out the connectors at the wheels, then add some dielectric grease to the connections. I even bypassed my pad sensors at one point with just a looped wire, and it STILL tripped from time to time. No rhyme, no reason. The "sensors" themselves are just long wire loops that have sections put in harm's way by inserting in the pads. When the pads get too low, the rotors shear through the wire, which breaks continuity, and causes the light to illuminate. You should always replace them when you put new pads on the car.
Old 12-08-2023, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 776 Likes on 643 Posts

Agree with WES, and I'd add that the two most common reasons the 'light' would remain on are:

1) You didn't replace the old wear sensors, and there is a continuity break in at least one of them. They get brittle from the heat, the replacement sensors are cheap, and it's a nice feature

2) You did replace (all) the pad wear sensors, but perhaps forgot to reconnect one, or didn't verify the electrical connection plugin from each sensor, as you were focused on the meat & potatoes of the job.

There's also separate part #'s for the front wheel vs rear wheel brake pad wear sensors (you get a longer connection cable is the only difference, but it's a very important difference when trying to install them...ask me how I know)