Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Brake/Tail lights on lift gate not working on Q7

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same issue

Hi All,
I am having the same issue. I just replaced the tailgate sensor, but no luck. When I was doing amateur diagnostics, I pressed the sensors and the lights switched for a second, then went back (this was prior to replacing the sensor). Any ideas? Seems like it could be a deeper wiring issue.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Rforte40
Hi All,
I am having the same issue. I just replaced the tailgate sensor, but no luck. When I was doing amateur diagnostics, I pressed the sensors and the lights switched for a second, then went back (this was prior to replacing the sensor). Any ideas? Seems like it could be a deeper wiring issue.

Reporting back -- After continued diagnostics. I discovered if I triggered the sensor on my own (reaching through tailgate slot), the tailgate brake lights activated. For whatever reason, the tailgate was just missing hitting the sensor. I put some thick magnetic tape on the top of the tailgate closing mechanism so it would reach just a bit higher & that worked. The tailgate has always been a little finicky when closing, so perhaps thats the reason its just a bit misaligned. I'll put a more permanent fix in place soon, but thought i'd share in case anyone else had the issue.
Old 01-11-2020, 02:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This might sound bizarre but I had a problem with the outer tail and brake lamps on the tail gate not working and found that if I went in to the car settings on the MMi unit ant selected towing mode on then it was fine strange but true
Old 05-31-2020, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Now having the same issue on my 2015 Q5. Anyone heard of a similar issue? Just the two taillight assemblies not working.
Old 09-11-2020, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Rforte40- did you ever go back and find a more permanent solution to this quick fix? I'm in a similar situation, and about to try magnetic tape If you found a more impactful trick, please share.
Thanks
Old 01-05-2021, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I am now fighting this in my 2012 Q7 TDI. I took the rear apart to address noisy rear fan, and upon reassembly I did forget to plug in the hatch switch. I noticed I had no hatch rear running, brake, or signal lights, but did have license plate light. The bumper brake and signal lights are active. I plugged the hatch switch back in, but still have the same problem.

I put a meter and hatch switches, and they are working properly. I also plugged the hatch switch in and closed the switches manually, but hatch lights refuse to work.

It is almost like it is stuck in hatch open mode?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 01-05-2021, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Might sound crazy, but read codes, and it had 2 related to rear hatch, cleared them, and problem gone for now??
Old 01-05-2021, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Mxzx
Might sound crazy, but read codes, and it had 2 related to rear hatch, cleared them, and problem gone for now??
Not crazy, I've had that happen with a few things over the years.
Old 09-08-2022, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Audi q7 2007 right bumper lights not working

Hi all,

Was wondering if anybody has or had the same issue as I do. My tailgate lights work fine. Yet when I open the boot the bumper lights should kick in. The left side does butbtge wright side doesnt? Strange though as my revers light does?
Old 09-08-2022, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 199 Posts

Have you checked the bulbs, even on the 2011+ face lift cars the bumper lights are normal incandescent bulbs.

Kind of sneaky to get to them, but not hard.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...model-2837325/

Quick Reply: Brake/Tail lights on lift gate not working on Q7