Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Brakes/rotors

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes/rotors

Just bought a q7 2008. Brakes vibrate on light braking. Is tire kingdom or any indy can do a good job versus dealership. Cost..,anybody
Old 11-17-2011, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats welcome, what miles on it? Any lip on the Rotors? Do you know how many miles on rotors? Brake vibration or pedal hop has not been a problem on Q7s. Brakes are pretty simple and you will find plenty write-ups if you want to DIY.
Tire rack do em (use the link via vendors on site and keep AW free for us all) Hawk LTS have a low dust version. Just realised Tire Rack do them too. Replace sensors even if they are not gone. They get crispy from heat.
Rear generally out last fronts, I replaced mine but teh OE were almost perfect I could have left them one turn.
In general rotors every second pad change but as you have vibe maybe this is the second time either way?!
PS my experience was local motor factors were about half the OE price for the exact same parts inside the Textar ( but Pagid stamped parts) box!
Post your experience

Last edited by Jusforfun; 11-17-2011 at 10:58 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-18-2011, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to do pads and rotors at same time. You're looking @ $1500 for a complete brake job on a Q7.

Around 30k miles is when it happens for most people.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jperryrocks
You need to do pads and rotors at same time. You're looking @ $1500 for a complete brake job on a Q7.

I'll do it for $1400!

A DIY with high end rotors and pads would be about $800 on the high end (+ $20 for the 12-point wrench to remove the rear calipers)

Here's my original post
Originally Posted by pchansen
I just installed Cryo-treated PowerSlot rotors and Hawk LTS pads fore and aft. It's a very easy procedure, provided you have the 16mm 12 point star bit so you can remove the rear calipers. (zdmack.com carries them). I too bedded the pads and can report that this combo, although expensive, is awesome! Absolutely zero noise and very good pedal feel. Maybe-just maybe a little softer on the initial bite, but that could be because I was actually looking to see if I could actually tell the difference. We live on top of a 1600' hill and our vehicle's brakes take a real beating. The LTS pads are bit harder(than HPS pads) I believe, and this should lead to an excellent life span. The cryo treated rotors are harder and resist warping much better than stock. They look good too. The hub portion of the rotor is powder coated black. I'm very happy with the results and hope I don't have to think about brakes for a long time now.

Last edited by pchansen; 11-18-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:58 PM
AUJ
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is the easiest pad change ever. Would recommend Posi-Quiets because they are not ceramic and have a better heat delta, and coefficient of friction. Semi-metallics give less dust as well. Pads for both fronts run about $65 and the sensors are about $9 a side.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jperryrocks

agree there.

my front pads needed changing at 30K, and the garage recommended discs also.

so got both changed out with new leads.

and decided to do the rears at the same time. ( well a few weeks later as there was a back log on the discs i wanted)

i went for EBC yellow stuff pads and EBC grooved discs.

total cost was 850 GBP then 200 GBP for installation.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:40 PM
AUJ
AudiWorld Super User

I'll do it for $1400!

A DIY with high end rotors and pads would be about $800 on the high end (+ $20 for the 12-point wrench to remove the rear calipers)

Here's my original post
Damned German efficiency is pushing a lot of systems to triple square drivers. didn't appreciate buying the set (only $9.00), but I do like the more positive connection to the fastener.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by audiblack73
Just bought a q7 2008. Brakes vibrate on light braking. Is tire kingdom or any indy can do a good job versus dealership. Cost..,anybody
my my07 has done the same thing since day one.

peter
Old 11-22-2011, 12:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Which rotors do you all prefer??

What do you think about the
ATE PremiumOne slotted rotors together with the
Hawk LTS??

I'll do it for $1400!

+ $20 for the 12-point wrench to remove the rear calipers)
Do you have a link, or a item-number from zdmark.com?
I can find it.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just had mine done with OEM parts all across yesterday at 32,500 miles. Thought about going with many other combos including ceramics and drilled/slotted rotors and said screw it!! Stuck with the OEM, aside from the brake dust the OEM will always deliver and I did not want to chance it with other rotors.

Dealership quote just for: Rotors F&R, Pads F&R and Sensors F&R ~$1,100 (Just for parts!). I was quoted at $1,800 for the full job.

Parts cost me $625 plus $275 for instal/labor at my "German" indy shop. I am not the mechanic type but this was far better than the dealership.

Online Sources:

RM European

Koperformance Automotive (sp?)

German ebayers

Last edited by josgarc; 11-22-2011 at 04:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Brakes/rotors