Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

The bumpy ride killed the deal....

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 09:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts
Default The bumpy ride killed the deal....

We got a deal and before we finalized the paperwork the wife wanted to test drive the car one more time since she noticed the ride is bumpy and bouncy last time. The final test drive is really bumpy and harsh, it was only 18" wheel, I thought the tires were over inflated, but the salesman didn't even check. We had to turn down the car because if that's the way it's supposed to be, then we can bear driving it.
How do your Q7 drive like, do you feel every bump in the road? It was a sunny day. If it's only because of the over inflated tires, we will try again. We like everything about the car, premium+convenience+Pano sunroof, the roof really caused the heat in the car on the sunny day just like some lady complained in Edmunds website.
We were so disappointed. Even my 4 year old was asking the whole way "how come this car is so bumpy?"

Thanks,
Old 03-22-2008, 09:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ours is fine with 18s

I find the ride in ours to be firm but not bumpy (we don't have the air suspension). I think it actually handles bumps and potholes better than our Volvo.
I can see how overinflated tires can be harsher on say the concrete segments of 680 or such. Give it another try before you go shopping elsewhere.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default We have 20's and during slow parking lot speeds the Q7 can be a little.......

bumpy or have a rocky sensation to it. Nothing that I concern myself with. I believe the Q7 is a little more stiffly sprung compared to our old Volvo XC90 and Toyota 4Runner but the main edge it has is it's firm sporty drive and handling characteristics. We needed/wanted a 7 passenger SUV but if we need/have to drive a vehicle that meets our needs than I wanted it to have good handling characteristics. Just a different view.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The manual...

Recommends maximum inflation but suggests the lower load inflation levels for a more comfortable ride. Mine on 18s is fine despite the worst roads in europe here in ireland. I had to get rid of my s line a6 with sports suspension because the ride was dreadful. Audis are firm. We have a ford galaxy also and its way softer. But guess which one i prefer to drive? I also have an 1997 a8 and its the smoothest of them all
Old 03-23-2008, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default On Air.. the ride is the firmest of any car I ever had

but is very comfortable.
Even after a couple of two hour back to back drives in Ireland (50% country roads) I fell totally fresh and good to go.
I never have a sore back or aching limbs after driving the Q
Firm but quality.
Maybe it is just not the right car for you!
Old 03-23-2008, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Hehe, remember that the Q7 is still a truck and it's a 5000lbs. monster..

You can't expect a smooth ride on this vehicle, hence comparing to a sedan. However, if the balance of the tires are off, then it needed to be readjusted and shouldn't be bumpy and too too harsh ride. Ours is the 19's, and no bumpy or harsh ride at all whatsoever. Drives almost like a car, but I have to tell myself that ultimately the Q7 is a truck.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts
Default I'll take a tire pressure gauge and try it one more time...

What sold us:
-My MP3 CD was playable with all folders and songs display.
-Rear back up camera and sensors.
-Good acceleration & handling
-Wide - Long - Long wheel base
-7 passenger.
-Nice sunroof although would burn your heads on a hot & sunny day.
-Beautiful cockpit & quality interior & exterior.
-Xenon adaptive headlights.
-Self dimming mirrors & compass.
-Almost free interests with the current lease.

These days, salespersons don't show us the features and benefits of the car any more, they expect us to find out on the internet and just come test drive one time and make a deal. Asking for the 2nd test drive is like pulling teeth. I remembered in 91 & 98 when we leased our Audis, we test drove day & night, cold and warm weather and the salespersons were very patient. After all it's still a $50k car (and our money doesn't grow on trees) regardless how good of a deal we get and how little the salesperson get. My wife was also mad at the salesperson when he pressured us in buying a car regardless of the out come of the 2nd test drive.
We hate going to a dealership to buy car.
I'll send the guy $100 (that's what he makes if he sold this car) if we bought other makes or from other dealer. He made the ultimate mistake, making the wife mad, that's NO NO. They dropped $20 off the payment if we leased it yesterday (I liked it but my wife said NO!!!).

Thanks all for your inputs,
Old 03-23-2008, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Everyone has different things that bother them...

the ride is fine in my opinion. Sure, there are times where it bumps you around a bit but i'd prefer that to a mattress suspension like those used in a Tahoe or Lexus for example. If you aren't sure then try another test drive with a different Q7... maybe it was tires or something. I also notice you are coming from an A6 and A8 both of which have soft suspensions.. anything in a SUV is going to feel bumpy compared to those.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have 20's and it's extremely smooth IMO...

particularly on the highway... compared to my TT on 19's it feels like I'm driving a Lincoln Towncar.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

On 18s and springs - no problem

Quick Reply: The bumpy ride killed the deal....