Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

To Buy or Not To Buy - Q7 (That's The Question)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Buy or Not To Buy - Q7 (That's The Question)

My better half is interested in a Q7 (upgrading from a minivan). We test drove one over the weekend a - 2011 TDI model, it was absolutely gorgeous, it sounded nice, it felt nice, etc. Now back to earth, the reality is that it is very expensive compared to...well, a minivan. The other thing is, friend of mine who knows a bit about mechanics, claims they are poorly engineered and have lots of problems, repairs and parts very expensive.

For those of you who are already Q7 owners, how do you feel about the purchase:
- Would you go through with the buying decision knowing what you know today after owning the car for x amount of time?
- Have you experienced any annoying issues, that should NOT have been issues for a $50/60K car?
- Are you happy with the gas/diesel mileage on the car, does it deliver as advertised?
- Any Q7 owners who are out of the warranty period - do you still take it for maintenance to the dealer or other shops in town? Do you find it harder or pretty much the same as other German cars to find knowledgeable mechanis who can do work on Q7?

Thank you to all!
Old 04-11-2011, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

If you have to compare the price of a minivan to the Q7, you should stick with the minivan, people who buy Q7, they do have that extra $30k to have the technology, safety, comfort and beauty instead of that minivan. Lease the car for 3 years then make your own conclusions about the car. The car is under warranty for 4 years 50k miles.

To help with your decision, to me, the Q7 is a POS. Costly and drives like a poorly designed minivan.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 04-11-2011, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Whom ever your mechanic/friend is, I don't think he really knows what he is talking about...what problems and poorly engineered parts is he talking about??

Speaking from my experience with out 2008 4.2 has been nothing but positive. Since we got it in early '08 the only thing that has required a trip to the dealership was an oil change. During that visit we mentioned a problem where the central info screen would persist that the coolant was low...thats it. Replaced the tires once. She has about 35k on her now, and have loved every mile. We knew the mileage of the V8 wouldn't be terrific, so we were not displeased after living with it for a while; we are pleased given its performance. We would buy the car again.

The TDi has been an option on the car now since 2009 and has received much praise both for its enormous torque and decent mileage given its weight.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

We just sold our 06 Honda odyssey and now own a 2011 q7 TDI so I can answer some questions. Poor engineering? Far from it, don't listen to his opinion. Name another vehicle of it's size that can perform at it's level and also achieve 30mpg on the highway (TDI). That performance comes at a cost though for with tires/brakes.

The minivan has more cargo room for traveling obviously. And of course is cheaper to buy/maintain.

The Q7 is MUCH more fun to drive and safer- not just crash testing but in avoidance of accidents with better handling and massive brakes. To me it is a practical luxury car. And when you need to haul people plus cargo get a cartop and/or hitch cargo carrier.

My wife says the Q7 is easier to park and load groceries into than our van was too.

I can't speak for the gas engines but we LOVE the TDI. Quiet, efficient, odorless, and strong acceleration. Averaging 23.5 on first tank but will hit 34mpg at 60mph, 28mpg at 70.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Q1. You couldnt buy the same car again its moved on! There are also a lot of owners of early Q7s still here.
Your mechanic friend may have got the jist of the facts. There were problems but Audi got them sorted. I seriously think you would not get any of the old niggles or problems in a new Q7 now.
Q2. Yes
Q3. Yes and yes. You can push it either way a bit with your driving style but overall very pleased.
Q4. For me anyway the main dealers have been ok on price so they got the work. Other jobs (like brakes) I did myself with the help guides pics etc. of this (mainly) and other websites.

Remember even though the Q7 will cost you more to buy it will return more at the other end so the difference in cost is not as great as it first appears. Yes it will cost you more but you get value for the difference. You are not just buying an expensive minivan!
While there have been a few disgruntled owners since 2006, I can assure you that the vast majority of 700 plus owners contributing to this forum are still Audi fans.
PS some are on their 3rd Q7, plenty on their 2nd. Some have more than one
Old 04-18-2011, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by veedubmac
Whom ever your mechanic/friend is, I don't think he really knows what he is talking about...what problems and poorly engineered parts is he talking about??
I am not sure what his 'friend' is referring to however I can certainly say the opensky/panorama/sunroof is a poor design. Susceptible to leaks and rattles. There have been MANY people who have experienced leaking or rattles and some lucky enough to have both.

Along with the rear cargo hatch recall and comfort close issues.

Another issue which he MAY be referring to is the coil pack failures that every Audi has experienced in the past (which has now <read: so far> been resolved.

Lastly in general may be referring to the carbon build-up issues that early FSI engines have proved to be an issue.

To the OP, if you're looking for an affordable small family hauler then I would go with a NEW Subaru Outback. If you need a bigger car and want the extra power and fuel savings and amenities Audi/Q7 offers then this is for you. You may also want to look into X5D or the MB Blutec line of cars unless you want used then the touareg offers a TDI.

At this stage in the game (five years into the model) majority of the issues have been worked out and or have a tsb.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default INCOMPARABLE

I own a Honda Odyssey Touring and Q7 TDI, I think they are just two different type of vehicles, they are incomparable.

Since I own both of them...If you need to carry a lot, or driving with more than 5 passengers, I don't think Q7 is a good choice, even a 7 passenger model...3rd row is almost useless.

Beside the cargo/room space....I think Q7 is for fun to drive.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

the third row seating on the q7 is for children, i cannot imagine average sized adults being comfortable in the third row or even having an easy time getting in and out of it.

out of the suvs i was contemplating and drove the q7 drove/rode the best. albeit a bit big it is well planted with the 20"/21" wheels.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

We had a 06 Honda Odyssey Touring before we got the '10 Q7 TDI.

Wife loves the Q7. Her words...

"the Odyssey feels like a boat, the end decides to follow the front after turning"

"Q7 just turns, like one piece of metal".

As many have stated. Can't compare the 2 categories. Minivan is people mover. Q7 is luxury barge from Germany. We didn't miss the Odyssey's spacious cabin. We tuck all the kids swim gear just fine in the Q7. We use the 3rd row occasionally when we have surprise guest visits and need to go out. All in all, I think it's a great replacement for the Odyssey.

I was checking out the new Odyssey the other night, and wife says, "we're not getting another minivan, ever."

-ThinkMac-
Old 04-18-2011, 10:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ithinkmac
We had a 06 Honda Odyssey Touring before we got the '10 Q7 TDI.

Wife loves the Q7. Her words...

"the Odyssey feels like a boat, the end decides to follow the front after turning"

"Q7 just turns, like one piece of metal".

As many have stated. Can't compare the 2 categories. Minivan is people mover. Q7 is luxury barge from Germany. We didn't miss the Odyssey's spacious cabin. We tuck all the kids swim gear just fine in the Q7. We use the 3rd row occasionally when we have surprise guest visits and need to go out. All in all, I think it's a great replacement for the Odyssey.

I was checking out the new Odyssey the other night, and wife says, "we're not getting another minivan, ever."

-ThinkMac-
"people mover" <--- nice!!
I have the Q7 as my daily ride, but my 3 years old son cries for not sitting in the 3rd row...HAHA...and Odyssey, as you said, people mover....ps. poor brakes on the odyssey after driving Q7.

Quick Reply: To Buy or Not To Buy - Q7 (That's The Question)