Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Buying older Q7 3.0 TDI now ....

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying older Q7 3.0 TDI now ....

The title of the post is the reason I found this great forum!

Do not know what it is but I really want to buy an older Q7 3.0 TDI (2006 - 2008) that no one will admit that they want or want to own here in Norway when it is large and not environmentally friendly. Buying new is too expensive with Norway car tax.

Has Audi A6 Avant S-line 2,0 FWD 2006 model currently and previously driven Ford Excursion 7.3 TD 4X4 which I liked.

Q7 car appeals to me most of which are teeming with equipment, serious driving machine, not many in the neighborhood and there are not hundreds for sale online in this country, in fact, only 30 cars for sale.

The car must of course be bought new in Norway, one owner car, full service history, lots of equipment and attractive, lowest miles.

Can now buy these for well under half the price of new car prices here, and indeed down to 1/3 maybe.

I hope someone can come up with good arguments for buying the Q7 now ...
Old 08-12-2012, 10:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sorry my language skills, this was poorly written! Can not see I have the opportunity to change the post either?
Old 08-14-2012, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Trying again with the short version, I hope no one misunderstood my earlier post

Great forum I found when I started the search for the Q7 and I want to buy an older Q7 3.0 TDI (2006 - 2008)

Previously driven Ford Excursion 7.3 TD 4X4 which I liked good.

Q7 car Appeals to me most of which are teeming with equipment, serious driving machine, not many in the neighborhood and there are not hundreds for sale online in this country, in fact, only 30 cars for sale.

I hope someone can come up with good arguments for buying the Q7 rather than a smaller car?
Old 08-14-2012, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the EU version 2006 from new. That is MY(Model Year) 2007 to the US and Canada and for your search references. MY 2007 means it was the model on sale at the start of 2007 so as the car was introduced in 2006 it was the same version.
Do not buy one with a sunroof from that year or MY!
And dont even bother to ask why, just trust me!

The 2007 (that is cars produced in 2007 which also later became the MY 2008)and subsequent production have a more powerful/higher tuned version of the 3.0 TDI. It started out as 233hp 500nm torque and went up to 240hp and 550nm torque. The latter has also better fuel mileage as well as being faster.

I love my Q7, it has served me well with 4 kids. Even though my kids are now grown up I still use it to carry a lot of work equipment and haul my Brig Rib or trailer. While friends may joke about its large size they still line up for a lift home after they have been drinking I have enjoyed every journey in this car and it will probably always remain my favourite car even after it is gone.
I am getting better milage than my kid's friend in his Mini and the same as my mum's old Golf 1.4 or my wife's 1.6 A3 but I have so much more power, speed, safety, features, versatility and comfort... and stereo.
Remember a lot of people with older Volvos BMWs Mercs with smaller engines just think you are a gas guzzler but you are not. They think they are more environmentally friendly but the emissions from the Q7 are actually lower.

It is not the greatest snow and ice car I ever drove due to its size but I never fitted to correct tyres so I cant totally blame the Q7.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the reply, nice to see that you enjoy your car!

Sunroof I will not have, when I've read that it is often leak with the following electrical problems due to water.

What about tire wear, have read that there were problems on early models Q7. In photos I've seen of this it looks like faulty wheel position ...
Old 08-14-2012, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I see some cars that are for sale in Norway has gone up to 170000 km. What do you think about buying a Q7 with this kilometer? How far have your Q7 to the forum users here run in kilometer ?
Old 08-18-2012, 08:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Has anyone had problems with sunroof drainage with later than MY 2007 (EU 2006) cars? Lots of these cars had the sunroof problem fixed too, didn't they? If the problem has been fixed, these cars should be fine.

Another problem for first year models is the air conditioning drainage getting clogged and dumping water in the front footwells. There is a MY 2007 car for sale right now in the San Francisco Bay Area that has visibly wet carpets from this problem in the dealership's photos. This is an easy fix, of course, and I think there is even a DIY or two on one of the various Audi forums.

The only other complaint I've heard is that the cupholder is too close to the MMI, so that if you spill your drink, you may have to get a new MMI panel. That is user error, however, under many interpretations.

My impression is that the first year Q7s did far better than the first year Touaregs (same platform but shorter wheelbase) for reliability. The sunroof thing was the biggest problem, especially with early VIN numbers, and if it got fixed, the rest of the car is generally reliable. If you are really concerned, you can avoid the MY 2007s with sunroofs and get a 2008 or 2009, as you have suggested.

For your 170,000 km question, I am sure there are plenty of people with that level of mileage on their cars because I have seen people report having more than 100,000 miles on various Audi forums and having very few, if any, problems. A lot of the MY 2007 and MY 2008 cars here in the US have approximately 95,000-120,000 km (60,000-75,000 miles), although many of them have 2 owners because often the first owner leased the car for 2-4 years or otherwise traded it in within 4 years or so. It is somewhat rare to find a 1-owner Q7 with that high mileage here.

I don't know how hard it is to get a Ford Excursion serviced in Norway because it is very cheap here in the US, but Audis cost quite a bit more to service than Fords, although I am sure you are familiar with that from your A6.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the detailed and positive response. Here in Norway the Ford Excursion was relatively cheap to buy for 10 years ago. Because of the fees that are changed now, no one is buying these cars longer .....

Service and repairs on Ford workshop was expensive because it was a heavy car to work with and lots of oil (17 l engine oil) and so on ....

Yesterday I said no to a nice Audi Q7 full S-line with one owner and 169000 km for 420k NOK which is the cheapest I've seen so far, actually 50k under the cheapest on the net her and 150k to cheapest S-line ...

This is the first Q7 I have seen and tested, and the lowest price when the owner turned off 50k to ads price to me ...

Maybe I was stupid when I said no, that I find out when I keep looking for my perfect Q7. This Q7 was pretty high mileage but realistic and honest mileage ....
Old 08-18-2012, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Here is the car that could have been my now, high kilometer combined with the fact that I had just seen and tested this, I chose to say no thanks.....
Attached Images      
Old 08-20-2012, 09:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dypen
Thanks for the detailed and positive response. Here in Norway the Ford Excursion was relatively cheap to buy for 10 years ago. Because of the fees that are changed now, no one is buying these cars longer .....

Service and repairs on Ford workshop was expensive because it was a heavy car to work with and lots of oil (17 l engine oil) and so on ....

Yesterday I said no to a nice Audi Q7 full S-line with one owner and 169000 km for 420k NOK which is the cheapest I've seen so far, actually 50k under the cheapest on the net her and 150k to cheapest S-line ...

This is the first Q7 I have seen and tested, and the lowest price when the owner turned off 50k to ads price to me ...

Maybe I was stupid when I said no, that I find out when I keep looking for my perfect Q7. This Q7 was pretty high mileage but realistic and honest mileage ....
How did they change the fees for Ford Excursions? The Q7 with 4.2 V8 here in the US I believe is 9L for oil, which is a lot more than a typical vehicle here, but 17L on the Ford is quite impressive. Of course, on an Excursion, you are not absolutely required to use synthetic, whereas on a Q7, you must do so.

That is very expensive compared to the US to buy a Q7. Do you have to pay VAT on private party sales?

It is also interesting to see how the car is different from US-spec. For example, that car has tray tables, which are not an option on the US version. Also, it appears that the front passenger seat has memory (as in the A8), but that is not an option on the US car.

I am not familiar with Norwegian driving patterns, as you might expect. Would 170,000km in Norway indicate a particular driving pattern -- e.g. primarily motorway/highway? Or perhaps a long commute to work? Or maybe lots of cargo hauling? Here in the US, high mileage typically indicates a lot of highway driving, which would be less stressful on the vehicle than typical city/suburban driving.

Quick Reply: Buying older Q7 3.0 TDI now ....