Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

A/C Mildew Cleaning Considered Wear and Tear

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Mildew Cleaning Considered Wear and Tear

I took my 07 Q7 in for a couple items, one of them being the A/C had the typical smell everyone has mentioned previously. I love my dealership in ATL but they wanted $150-200 to do the A/C flush. They said it wasnt a warranty item and was considered wear and tear. Is that what everyone else has been hearing?

I also have a periodic buzzing from the speedometer area of the instrument cluster. They cannot replicate at the moment, but they have the car for another day. Anyone had this problem and found a fix?

Thanks.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ansel76
I took my 07 Q7 in for a couple items, one of them being the A/C had the typical smell everyone has mentioned previously. I love my dealership in ATL but they wanted $150-200 to do the A/C flush. They said it wasnt a warranty item and was considered wear and tear. Is that what everyone else has been hearing?
Who is your ATL dealer? Curious.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

I picked up an aerosol spray by Wynn that is specifically for smelly A/C systems, and it worked wonderfully on the Q7, and other vehicles that I have experienced a similar problem.

It is an disinfectant spray that goes into the air intake in the engine compartment near the windsheild, on the right hand side. You spray it with the A/C on, then with the heat. The downside is that you have a "lysol" like smell for a week or two after, but it slowly vanishes and the "bad" odour will be gone.

I was told by the dealer (who did it for me free the first time) that they often see this problem in winter, and they suggest that you run the heat at full temp in reciculation mode to "dry out" the system, and avoid the mold buildup that occurs.

Certainly, for $10, it's has worked well for me. The spray will give you 3-4 treatments.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Q7Q7Q7
I picked up an aerosol spray by Wynn that is specifically for smelly A/C systems, and it worked wonderfully on the Q7, and other vehicles that I have experienced a similar problem.

It is an disinfectant spray that goes into the air intake in the engine compartment near the windsheild, on the right hand side. You spray it with the A/C on, then with the heat. The downside is that you have a "lysol" like smell for a week or two after, but it slowly vanishes and the "bad" odour will be gone.
I've used Febreze Air Effects Air Refreshener into the HVAC intake. It does the same thing as the previous post, and the smell is very pleasant. No chemical smell; and it lasts for about 6 months.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for ideas. I appreciate it. I wasnt going to pay for the dealer to do it so I will give these a look.

Since you asked, my dealer is Jim Ellis. Like I said before, they have been awesome and this is my second car from them. I was just surprised by this being considered a wear and tear item, and their price to "clean" the system.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are doing it yourself, there are some pix info etc in this thread. Hope it helps.
Feel free to add your experience.

EDIT: re buzzing can you elaborate?
Some early production make clicking noises from the vent stepper motors but never heard it described as buzzing. Does it happen just as you start or do you think its speed vibration?
Has it always been there?
Is it like a loose cable run that needs securing? I recall Steelwarhorse3.0TDI and 89vette (i think) posting about thumping his dash to stop a periodic noise.

Last edited by Jusforfun; 05-22-2010 at 04:57 AM.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The buzzing is an odd one. At first I thought it was static in the speaker, but it is something buzzing or vibrating in the instrument cluster. It happens about 50% of the time especially when accelerating. If I push hard on the clear plastic of the speedometer, that seems to stop it, but I am not convinced that is what is vibrating because it doesnt feel the slightest bit loose.

Its just one of those hard to source noises.

Its definitely not stepper motors, its more of a true buzzing. In my head I see the little gears for the spedometer grinding, but that is just a wild visualization of the noise.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ansel76
The buzzing is an odd one. At first I thought it was static in the speaker, but it is something buzzing or vibrating in the instrument cluster. It happens about 50% of the time especially when accelerating. If I push hard on the clear plastic of the speedometer, that seems to stop it, but I am not convinced that is what is vibrating because it doesnt feel the slightest bit loose.

Its just one of those hard to source noises.

Its definitely not stepper motors, its more of a true buzzing. In my head I see the little gears for the spedometer grinding, but that is just a wild visualization of the noise.
Mine has the periodic buzzing as well(2007 model). I can't locate it and I bet they would have to rip apart your steering column to fix it. I have not had the musty smell in the Q7. It was bad on out 04 Touareg though. I would suggest you try the spray as I believe this is all the dealer does. You may even be able to purchase the spray they use from the Audi parts counter.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our 2008 goes in for service on Thursday, complete with the "sock" smell we've had in both warm and cold weather. I'll see what they say about it before I decide to go Wynn's myself or not. For those of you using the Wynn's, is it the Air Conditioner Treatment #62801 or the AircoFresh Odor eliminator #16101?
Old 05-23-2011, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

klima has always worked well for me... no complaints.

Quick Reply: A/C Mildew Cleaning Considered Wear and Tear