Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Can a dealer really be this incompetent?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can a dealer really be this incompetent?

I have to vent because I'm so pissed at my dealership right now I just want to drive my Q7 right through their glass shop doors!

I went in because my trailer lights weren't working. I had the burned out bulb error coming on.

They changed the program from Euro to US. Problem not really solved. So they do some more programming and viola, trailer lights work. But... nothing else does. I can't adjust my air suspension, my rear view camera doesn't work, the parking sensors keep beeping, etc., etc.

The next day they futz around with it some more and it all works... again sort of. I noticed a few days later that my backup camera turns off immediately after I take it out of reverse. That didn't use to happen. It used to turn it off at about 3mph moving forward. Kind of handy if maneuvering back and forth in a tight parking spot.

So a few weeks ago I took it in (as long as I had it in for it's 45K scheduled maintenance) to have then look into it. The dealer claims that the only way to get the camera behavior the way I described was to have the towing program set up for Euro lights. Okay, I suppose I'll live with it.

Tonight I'm getting ready for a road trip tomorrow figuring I'll just connect everything and go. Guess what doesn't work again? It's Sunday tomorrow so I'm without trailer brake lights until I get home, when I won't need them anymore!

And my whole trip I'll also get to have an idiot light blinking on the dash the whole time. I'm calling AOA Monday to file a complaint about the incompetence of the dealer and it's techs. Every time I go to get anything done it seems like they cannot get it right until the 2nd or 3rd attempt. ID10TS!

/rant
Old 01-08-2011, 11:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

bummer.. but I hate to say it sometimes that happens.

As long as the dealer is trying to fix it there not much you can do. Outside of going to another dealer.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

It sure would be nice if folks completed their CP with their location. It would help other folks avoid the problem dealer.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can a dealer really be this incompetent?

YES
Old 01-09-2011, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

It's not entirely the dealers fault... that's the way Audi designed it. When you select US mode it switches everything to US mode and in "US mode", the camera will turn off right after shifting out of reverse. In ROW world you get the delay... yes... it's totally lame, but I discovered this with both my VW and my Audi. You should be able to go back and code the trailer module individually. There are many features that AoA/VWoA simplify for the US market... they do it either because we have some lame laws they need to be in compliace with, or they just think Americans will be confused and take the car to the dealer thinking something is wrong.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by gregtay
It's not entirely the dealers fault... that's the way Audi designed it. When you select US mode it switches everything to US mode and in "US mode", the camera will turn off right after shifting out of reverse. In ROW world you get the delay...
My 2010 Q7 3.0 TDI in the US must be coded for ROW; because, after backing up, my camera does not turn off until I exceed 5 mph moving forward in Drive.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Might be a MY thing, my 2011 does not turn off until I am doing about 6-7 mph going forward.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not directly related but the cut out speed is 10kph 6.2mph same as mirror tilt and TV.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

And i guess i should have been clear... it is possible to code the Q7 correctly so that the camera stays on and the trailer lights work... you just need to recode and recheck everything a few times. There are a few modules that seem to do a master change.. meaning if you set ROW -> US on the instrument cluster this change also makes a change to other modules (coding them from ROW->US. you can go and change them back to US without effecting the intrument cluster setting. I have my 2009 coded so that my reverse camera stays on after shifting out of REV and the trailer module is correct.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DUTCH VanAtlanta
It sure would be nice if folks completed their CP with their location. It would help other folks avoid the problem dealer.
Without naming them outright, I will just say it's the only one in Madison, WI. The next nearest one is in Milwaukee. Not worth the drive.

Quick Reply: Can a dealer really be this incompetent?