Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

car polish or wax

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 04:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car polish or wax

Hi there I have had my q7 for 6 weeks and loving it so what to keep it looking good what is the best polish or wax to go whith thanks bazz
Old 03-25-2013, 07:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you want something that is very easy to apply and remove use Meguiars Cleaner Wax liquid version. If you want more durability I recommend Meguiars NXT or Meguiars Ultimate Wax in the paste version. The above products are very easy to use and can be bought almost everywhere. There are many other choices. However, I have been using Meguiars for years since I was a teenager.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

There's a big difference between polish and wax- polish has an abrasive and wax does not. With a new car what you need is a good high quality wax. Meguiars makes some good products, but I prefer many of the products in the Zaino line, I've used them for years, on all cars including Ferraris. The more coats you apply the deeper the shine seems and it will last.

When deposits start to build up on the vehicle (when you run a microfiber cloth over it and the cloth starts to stick) then it's time to clay bar the vehicle, you will not have to do this more than once a year under normal conditions.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by normp
There's a big difference between polish and wax- polish has an abrasive and wax does not. With a new car what you need is a good high quality wax. Meguiars makes some good products, but I prefer many of the products in the Zaino line, I've used them for years, on all cars including Ferraris. The more coats you apply the deeper the shine seems and it will last.

When deposits start to build up on the vehicle (when you run a microfiber cloth over it and the cloth starts to stick) then it's time to clay bar the vehicle, you will not have to do this more than once a year under normal conditions.
+1 for Zaino

It makes for a long day with multiple coats but definitely worth it. I don't like to spend the time anymore but luckily there is a very good, quick and cheap hand wash place next to the house I take to first then bring it back home to finish with Zaino.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by normp

Hi normp,
What products specifically would you recommend in the Zaino line?
I would like something that's easy to apply and maintain.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi sashir,

The right product depends to two things- the condition of the finish before you do anything and the color of the vehicle, light or dark. Start by looking at their website, zainostore.com and go from there.

A good first step is to wash the vehicle with dish washing soap (the only time this should come close to the car) this will take off all the existing wax and get down to the paint/clear coat. Then you can determine if you need to clay bar the vehicle or if you can start to apply product.

Good luck,
Norm
Old 03-27-2013, 12:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sashir
Hi normp,
What products specifically would you recommend in the Zaino line?
I would like something that's easy to apply and maintain.
I agree with Norm. I've used the Z2, Z6 and ZFX consistently for the last 5 years. Claybar 1-2 times a year. I've recently used the Zaino Triplets and have been pleased with that as well.

2-3 coats of the Z2/Z6 combo will get the car looking pretty slick.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Another +1 for Zaino products. I've used pretty much everything in their line over the years. It's all good stuff. The darker the color of your car the more Zaino will stand out above the others, especially with multiple coats. On lighter colors like my Ibis White S4 and S6 or my Glacier White Q7, the all in one product AIO is probably all you really need. But if you do get into applying multiple coats - be warned, it can become an obsession!
Old 03-27-2013, 04:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by phidailo
I agree with Norm. I've used the Z2, Z6 and ZFX consistently for the last 5 years. Claybar 1-2 times a year. I've recently used the Zaino Triplets and have been pleased with that as well.

2-3 coats of the Z2/Z6 combo will get the car looking pretty slick.
Hi there don't mean to be silly but what is claybar
Old 03-27-2013, 04:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

How can I say this without sounding condecending? :-) it is a product made with very fine clay, held together with some kind of adhesive and usually comes in a bar shape. Using a liquid the bar is rubbed over a painted surface to remove the pollutants that have become attached over time.

Quick Reply: car polish or wax