Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

car polish or wax

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerbazz
Hi there don't mean to be silly but what is claybar
Here's a pretty decent resource link... http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-clay.html
Old 04-01-2013, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by normp
Hi sashir,

The right product depends to two things- the condition of the finish before you do anything and the color of the vehicle, light or dark. Start by looking at their website, zainostore.com and go from there.

A good first step is to wash the vehicle with dish washing soap (the only time this should come close to the car) this will take off all the existing wax and get down to the paint/clear coat. Then you can determine if you need to clay bar the vehicle or if you can start to apply product.

Good luck,
Norm
Thanks Norm. My Q7 (Orca Black)is new, purchased about 2 months back. So the paint and finish is in great shape. So, I don't need to claybar it right now. I checked the Zaino site and they have a lot of products so I am not sure yet what I should use. Need to dig around a bit more. Any suggestions welcome!
Old 04-01-2013, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sashir
I checked the Zaino site
Look under the "Application" tab at the top. They have a step-by-step instruction for your first application, along with details for which products to use for different finishes. That sequence will work very well for your black paint.

One thing: Don't be so quick to say you don't need to clay the vehicle. Once you have washed it with dish soap and dried the vehicle you should get up close and inspect the finish. Run a hand across each of the surfaces. You will literally be able to feel any grit or gunk on the paint. This is what you want to get rid of with the clay bar.

Remember, Zaino is optically transparent, so anything on the paint will show through. While it might seem tedious, prep work like using a clay bar will result in a much better finish. Considering how long a Zaino application will last before you will need to go all the way back to bare paint, the investment in time and effort for the clay is definitely worth it.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Let's assume with a two month old car you don't need to clay bar it, if you park under a tree everyday at work that might not be the case. Three steps will get your vehicle looking great.
1) wash the Q7 with dish washing soap
2) use Z-AIO as a base coat. If you want to put on more than one coat in less than 24 hours (let's not even start this discussion, you want to drive the car not spend your life in the garage) then you should use the ZFX.
3) with a black car you should be using Z-5 PRO, this will give you a deep shine and will take out the swirls that I bet you're already starting to see in the right light! The more coats the deeper the shine and this stuff will go a long way so don't put on too much product.

Good luck
Old 04-01-2013, 02:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by va-terps4
Considering how long a Zaino application will last before you will need to go all the way back to bare paint, the investment in time and effort for the clay is definitely worth it.
Before I moved to Montana I had a car that was not a daily driver, it hardly ever sat outside, I would just keep adding coats of Zaino for 2 or 3 years before I'd decide to take everything off and start over. I sold this car when I moved here- Montana is not friendly to a Ferrari (short summers, lots of gravel on the roads and the closest mechanic is in Salt Lake City)
Old 04-03-2013, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks you va-terps4 and normp for your suggestions!
Old 04-05-2013, 01:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by va-terps4
Here's a pretty decent resource link... http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-clay.html
thanks for that it was very help full as i have never hear of a clay bar thanks
Old 04-08-2013, 04:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Meguiars #16 looks good on everything. Its cheap, it will outlast pretty much every other wax and it looks great. Cant go wrong