Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Collapsible spare for Q7 won't inflate

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2022, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 353 Likes on 296 Posts

When I had to change to the inflatable spare, I just inflated it to 50psi with the compressor off the car. Then once I knew it was good, I changed the tire. Amazing the spare was still good after 15 years of sitting there.
Old 08-04-2022, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 169 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by WOODY135
I have used our spavesaver on several occasions without a single problem until yesterday. The small pump failed to inflate the tyre and on close inspection the tyre had come away from the wheel side wall. No chance of inflating this with the small Audi pump! Roadside support could not inflate it either and ended up repairing the puncture in the original tyre. Today our local tyre supplier inflated said spacesaver without any problem, using the garage/shop compressed air supply, however on deflation the tyre popped off the rim again. This time the tyre inflated immediately even though the tyre was off the wheel rim. The tyre supplier has now put some rim sealant around the rim in an attempt to stop it popping off on deflation. Lets see what happens !! On closer examination the tyre looks slightly perished even tough it has only been on the car for abour 2-3 days in all those years. (Car is a 2013 model)
The tire/wheel is considered sacrificial. It is only supposed to be used for less than 50 miles at speeds less than 50 mph. The fact that you've used it more than once is a good indicator that its time for a new one. It's better to have it fail in a garage than barreling down the road. The tire should also be replaced every 7 yrs due to potential dry rot.
The following users liked this post:
'10Q7TDI_Prestige' (08-06-2022)
Old 08-06-2022, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 778 Likes on 645 Posts
Default Read Owner Manual

Originally Posted by Blackfunk
The tire/wheel is considered sacrificial. It is only supposed to be used for less than 50 miles at speeds less than 50 mph. The fact that you've used it more than once is a good indicator that its time for a new one. It's better to have it fail in a garage than barreling down the road. The tire should also be replaced every 7 yrs due to potential dry rot.
+1
IIRC, the owner's manual calls out exactly what is posted above in regards to the expectations from the temp spare wheel/tire combo; it is designed as a space/weight saving, consumable item, and it's not a real tire that is designed to withstand regular usage under the weight of this vehicle. Count yourself lucky if you've gotten multiple uses from it. Run-flat tires are of a similar ilk; designed to be consumed when use is required.

We hedged our bets by buying replacements for the Bridgestone Alenza A/S Sport RF (run-flat) our '15 (air suspension) had mounted already, so if we get an especially bad puncture/air loss, we can still roll on the run-flat insert w/o wheel damage occurring for the same distance/speed as the temp spare is designed for, just w/o the drama of having to change the wheel out, which is a suck-fest at best, and possibly dangerous, if you are doing it yourself on the side of the road. I've picked up a few screws/nails in the main tread area with minor air loss, and been able to patch them just fine on our RF tires too, just like you can with any other standard tire.

Last edited by '10Q7TDI_Prestige'; 08-06-2022 at 03:18 PM.
Old 08-07-2022, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this issue once. The spare was used once before and the shop that deflated it and put it back in the car didn't seat the needle valve fully. Pump ran fine but air just leaked out. Once the valve was tightened down it worked fine.
Old 03-24-2023, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I had this issue recently on my 2019 SQ5 - the spare worked fine ~2 years ago but then wouldn't hold air (bead not seated correctly) when I had to use it this week.

Regarding the spare being "sacrificial" and needing to be replaced after use
Originally Posted by Blackfunk
The tire/wheel is considered sacrificial. ... The fact that you've used it more than once is a good indicator that its time for a new one.
Originally Posted by '10Q7TDI_Prestige'
+1 IIRC, the owner's manual calls out exactly what is posted above in regards to the expectations from the temp spare wheel/tire combo; it is designed as a space/weight saving, consumable item, and it's not a real tire that is designed to withstand regular usage under the weight of this vehicle. Count yourself lucky if you've gotten multiple uses from it.
  • Maybe my 2019 SQ5's setup is different, but I could not find any mention in my owner's manual or the spare itself about the spare being a 1-time-use item.
  • In fact, the owner's manual specifically mentions how to deflate the tire for storage, ostensibly to be used again in the future.
  • I drove for about 1 mile on it last time, at most 45 mph. So I don't think I wore it out.
  • If the spare was consumable, then why didn't the tire shop (most places are notorious for trying to sell whatever they can) try selling me a new one?
  • I agree with the comments about limited distance and speed for the spare. I'm just challenging the notion that the collapsible spare is a 1-time use.

Regarding removal of the valve stem for inflation
Originally Posted by Good old car
just get stem valve removal tool and take out the stem valve off before put the air in. I tried and it did a trick. Inflatable tire needs fast and high pressure to pop the edge of tire to sit right.
Originally Posted by Good old car
With the valve core tightened in there. The air pump cannot inflate the spare tire. Once I removed the core, spare tire is inflated fast!
  • Again, maybe my 2019 SQ5's setup is different, but - at least for me - the valve core wasn't the problem for inflation.
  • I agree there are circumstances in which the spare needs a lot of pressure and volume quickly to re-seat the bead.
  • In my case, the 12V inflator couldn't get the spare inflated (bead seated) even with the valve core removed.
  • We were able to use house air at work and physical manipulation to get the spare's bead to re-seat. But by then I had already plugged my normal tire, so I didn't need the spare.
  • Removing the valve core on inflation creates the new problem of quickly capping the stem to avoid loosing too much pressure. My spare seemed very sensitive to having ~50 psi, otherwise it leaned to the inside

Actual root cause
Originally Posted by 94teener
I had this issue once. The spare was used once before and the shop that deflated it and put it back in the car didn't seat the needle valve fully. Pump ran fine but air just leaked out. Once the valve was tightened down it worked fine.
  • This is mostly what happened to me, except the valve wasn't the problem - the bead was.
  • It would have been best practice for me to check that the spare was ready to go again, although the bead issue could have appeared much later. It isn't standard maintenance to check this...
  • The tire shop took out the valve core to deflate the tire, then didn't put it back in, then the spare was stored fully deflated. According to the instructions, this is what to do. But apparently it can result in the bead coming loose.
  • It just seems like a bad idea to remove the valve core under pressure. One has to be careful to avoid shooting it off, never to be found again. The alternative it that it just takes a long time to deflate the spare, although my inflator does have a leak valve so I didn't have to press in the valve core by hand.

Fixes
  • I pressured cycles the spare a few times, and it hasn't reproduced the bead issue.
  • I replaced the valve core and stored it with some pressure. Hopefully this avoids the bead issue.

Links to similar posts
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...spare-2848859/
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...-spare-2861424
Old 03-24-2023, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 169 Likes on 127 Posts

@atoner This is as per Audi. I too was unaware of this limitation until a few years ago and specifically I'm referring to the tire needing to be replaced. Not the wheel per se.

https://www.audifletcherjones.com/ho...n%2070%20miles
Old 03-24-2023, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 275 Likes on 236 Posts

When it comes to prolonging the life of the tire material as much as possible, especially on a spare (whether full-size, donut, or collapsible), I find that 303 Protectant helps tremendously. It's not a miracle cure, but it does help preserve the rubber compound substantially when compared to no treatment.