Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Considering Q7 or MB GL450

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cross-shopped the GL320 and the Q7 3.0 TDI. 24Wheeler more or less summmed up my conclusions.

Both cars are comparable in terms of fit and finish, tactile quality, materials etc, MB perhaps has a small edge.

Interior room is significantly superior in the benz, particularly the 3rd row. The Q7 load floor is higher and the roof line is lower, so the Benz also has a distinct edge in luggage capacity (or large pets...my dog barely fits into our Q7)

IMO the driving dynamics of the Q7 trumps the Benz once you get beyond the somewhat numb steering feel the actual limits of the Q is surprisingly high. The Benz does not like being hurried.

Q7 holds a significant advantage over the Benz in price - comparably loaded that's probably $8K.

Lastly, the Benz (at least here) has acquired a mom-mobile/upscale-minivan image. In a nutshell it is serving the precise demographics that MB wanted to target the R-Class towards.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

If I had enough money to throw at this problem and didn't care about my carbon footprint, I'd get a GL550. They're having trouble selling these and I've seen new 2009s going for $8K below sticker. And these babies are optioned to the gills. And they can hustle.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Do it do it you won't regret! GL550s are quite possibly the best SUV out there (or maybe second to the G-Class).
Old 11-21-2009, 02:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My wife had a G 500 which is a completely different animal. She drove the GL and we both were shocked at how much we did not like it. The interior looks cheap. Golf clubs will not fit cross way in the back. Rode like a boat. Not enough power with the diesel. We drove the Q7 one time and were sold. I must say I prefer the look of the GL with big wheels but the Q7 has grown on me. The only reason I could see to buy the GL is if the 3rd row is used often or your need to have a star on your car.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Any updates from the original posters

I'm looking at buying a used 2007 GL450 or Q7 4.2.
I currently drive an Audi Allroad and we want the third row.

So I've compared the two and only became intersted in the MB after finding a used one is comparable in price and the third row is bigger and all electric.

So any new thoughts on issues and maintence with these two?

Being Audi owner and fan, I'm leaning there, but put off by tire wear and replacing breaks more often than most suv's.

Any other things that might convience me to go with one over the other...and I haven't driven the MB yet, that may be what will make the decision as I've driven Audi's for the last 6 years.
Thanks!
Old 12-17-2009, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Its interesting that the resale value of both of these vehicles is comparable.

If your primary objective is third row then the MB is clearly superior. In terms of driving pleasre its a tossup. I think the Q7 "feels" more sporty to drive due to a firmer ride and less body roll (less being a relative term here). The Q's absolute limits are also surprisingly decent once you get over the numbness of the platform. I have not pushed the benz and cannot comment on how it would compare to the Q when hustled.

Lets face it neither are sports cars. The Q is a more stylish ride with some compromises to practicality. The Benz looks boxy (nothing wrong with that, many people like it and so do I) but is more practical.

One other thing to consider is the interior ergonomics. The MMI is definitely easier to use than the COMMAND system and may sway your decision
Old 12-18-2009, 06:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Please ensure that when you compare space in any vehicle that you do the following to get an accurate comparison if you are tall.

Sit in the drivers seat and setup as you would drive.
Sit behind the drivers seat and adjust the seat to the legroom you want if it is adjustable (Q7 and GL are)
Now sit directly behind that seat and see how much room you have.

I did this in 2006 when getting out of the Range Rover lemon we had and did not like the GL (I am 6'1")
Wife didn't like the look of either the GL or Q7 at the time and we got a 2006 Toureg V8

We again shopped both along with all the new entrants a few months back and she now loved the Q7. MB was a "boat" and very "utalitarian" in her words. If you get a Q7 you MUST get the air suspension and leave it on auto and rides great. When you get on the freeway it drops down and handles great when cruising at high speed as I found when returning from Austin (where we bought Q7 used) to Ft Worth.

I think the Q7 v GL is the same kind of question you have when comparing any Audi v MB or BMW v MB, go with the BMW or Audi if you want a more dynamic car that you "drive".
Old 12-18-2009, 08:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Thanks for the feedback

Great feedback and what I was looking for.

I'm selling my 05 Allroad, love it, but well...it's done a great deal of time in the shop with airbag and electrical issues...so sadly just really want to be done with it.

So when I say comparable price wise...I actually think the Q7 is running less than the MB, because the MB has the video/gaming and all the electrical stuff with just very slightly higher mileage. Also think in my area, they are having a tougher time selling the Q7...I've seen them sit for a while, with markdowns a plenty.

So from your feedback and many other with first hand experience of both...really comparable but will come down to useage (space wise) and personal preference...that's a good place to be, as I know either will be a great buy.

So I think it will really just come down to the test drive of the two.
I'm not thrilled with the bigness of the MB, as we have a Sequoia and it's just too big for me, but as a fairly small 5'1 person, I couldn't find a spot for my feet in the third row of the Q7, mostly because of the tracks for the seats in front of it.

So thanks again for the feed back, I'll update after my offical drive of the MB, think that will be the deal closer