Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Console stereo control knobs stop working

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 01:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Console stereo control ***** stop working

Hello Forum friends,

I've got a stomper of a problem and was hoping someone may know a solution. A couple of weeks ago my MMI stereo stopped responding to the rotation of both my console controls (vol and selector *****). The unit responds to their "push down" motion, but doesn't register any rotation. At the same time, the red LEDs under the CD or Radio selector buttons stay mostly dark and only occasionally flicker. The steering wheel's rotary controls seem to work fine, but of course they only have limited functionality compared to the controls on the console. Lastly - and this makes no sense at all - when I turn off the ignition, the stereo goes back to full functionality - the console ***** begin to work fine, and the red LEDs stay on without flickering.

If anyone has experienced anything like this, I'd really appreciate any tips on fixing it. For complete picture, I had the Dension 500 gateway installed a few months ago, and it worked like a champ with my MMI unit. This makes me believe that the problem is not likely to be with the gateway, but if I wind up taking it in for warranty service, I was wondering if I should pull out the gateway (in case it may voide the Audi warranty. Does anyone happen to know if the dealer can turn me away if he notices my Dension box sitting beyond the MMI unit?

I hope my questions make sense. Thank you in advance for any input.

Many thanks,

DK
Old 11-12-2010, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

did you check your fuses to see if there is one for the MMI controls?
Old 11-12-2010, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I'm working with a 2007 Q7 with a standard MMI (monochrome) stereo.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Defnitely take it out before going in for warranty service. Dealers will use any excuse to not cover things. I had an issue with my backup camera and the dealer was saying it was related to the TVs in my headrests when there is no connection at all to the MMI.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DimitrySF
Hello Forum friends,

I've got a stomper of a problem and was hoping someone may know a solution. A couple of weeks ago my MMI stereo stopped responding to the rotation of both my console controls (vol and selector *****). The unit responds to their "push down" motion, but doesn't register any rotation. At the same time, the red LEDs under the CD or Radio selector buttons stay mostly dark and only occasionally flicker. The steering wheel's rotary controls seem to work fine, but of course they only have limited functionality compared to the controls on the console. Lastly - and this makes no sense at all - when I turn off the ignition, the stereo goes back to full functionality - the console ***** begin to work fine, and the red LEDs stay on without flickering.

If anyone has experienced anything like this, I'd really appreciate any tips on fixing it. For complete picture, I had the Dension 500 gateway installed a few months ago, and it worked like a champ with my MMI unit. This makes me believe that the problem is not likely to be with the gateway, but if I wind up taking it in for warranty service, I was wondering if I should pull out the gateway (in case it may voide the Audi warranty. Does anyone happen to know if the dealer can turn me away if he notices my Dension box sitting beyond the MMI unit?

Many thanks,

DK

You say that control ***** start working correctly when you turn OFF the ignition. Does this mean that the problem occurs when key is just ON or is it only when engine is running? I assume here engine running does not make difference just if key is ON or OFF.

How is it if you go in the car and turn MMI ON by just pushing the control **** without inserting the key ay all? I would think it works ok with this too?

Sounds like a relay problem. I think the power to the MMI system comes from different source when car is operated (key ON) or when MMI is ON without key ON.

MMI stays on for a pre-set time after you turn OFF the key but leave key in. Or if you press the control **** without inserting the key the same time delay function starts. I believe power to MMI comes thru a different timer relay, which seems to be working correctly as the control ***** work, when key is OFF.

This could be a simple relay problem and probably it is just one relay that directs power to MMI from one of the sources, i.e. directly from fuse when operating the car (key ON) or thru timer (key OFF).

See if your fuse chart says anything in relay names about assessory or radio or something that would suggest controlling power to MMI. Could be just a simple relay swap which you probably could do yourself. Of course, you would need to get a relay but how big job is it to remove that Dension as I can guarantee you will be on your own with everything relating to MMI system after Audi sees Dension installed. I guarantee you that.

Last edited by Arrie; 11-13-2010 at 06:02 AM.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Dension only connects via the fibre optic (MOST) circuit so if its at fault just jiggling the two orange optic cables should let you immediatly see if there is a response. They literally interupt the circuit... goes in one and out the other they have male and female connectors.
Check out some of the install write-ups for a visual.
Better still take it back to your installer and get them to check it out.
Its pretty simple stuff.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you very much Arrie, I'll go check my fuses and relays. I'm a EE, so probably much easier to take out the Dension gateway than tinker with car relays .

BTW, latest development... The MMI now starts, but tells me I have an invalid device connected to it (a message flashes after it lights the splash screen for ~30 seconds) - so maybe the Dension is at fault after all. I'll try to disconnect/reconnect it and maybe will find that some connection got loose. Will post anything of interest that I may find. Again, many thanks for your reply.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Will try that today, thank you very much!
Old 11-20-2010, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Go to the Dension website and download the latest software version to update yours via USB.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

DimitrySF
Did you ever fix or find out what was your problems? Just today the same thing has happened to my contril ****. I got a 2008 Q7 wit hte G2 MMI BUt I do not have a DENSON interface.
Originally Posted by DimitrySF
Hello Forum friends,

Many thanks,

DK

Quick Reply: Console stereo control knobs stop working