Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Console stereo control knobs stop working

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 11:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi arp2nr,

The problem persisted even after I removed the Dension gateway, confirming that it had nothing to do with the ***** ignoring their rotation. I took the car in to a dealer (still under warranty), but they declared there's dirt under the ***** and that's what's causing the problem. I don't even need my EE to tell them they're full of it - if there was a dirt-related issue, the stereo wouldn't be 100% when the engine is off. Sadly, they appear to be happy to use any minute excuse to get out of fixing an obvious electric design issue, so I'll have to take it apart myself. I completely agree with Arrie in that the relays may be the most likely culprit(pls read his reply below), and will test his hypothesis once I get the car back. Meanwhile, sorry - but no resolution as of yet. Please let me know if you happen to discover the culprit (and I'll be happy to let you know as well is I do).

Thank you,

DimitrySF
Old 12-02-2010, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default caused by spillage on the mmi

On mine it was intermittent, the **** would work some time but then it would fail again. My car too is under warranty and they blamed it on spilt drinks on the MMI, causing a short on the PCB. I bought my q7 certified and when I took delivery I had them clean the MMI because it had coffee spillage from the previous owner.This could have caused the short. What they did for me was to replace the MMI with a new one for only $350 instead of the $1200. There might be a short on the PCB of the MM do to drink or moisture.
Originally Posted by DimitrySF
Hi arp2nr,

The problem persisted even after I removed the Dension gateway, confirming that it had nothing to do with the ***** ignoring their rotation. I took the car in to a dealer (still under warranty), but they declared there's dirt under the ***** and that's what's causing the problem. I don't even need my EE to tell them they're full of it - if there was a dirt-related issue, the stereo wouldn't be 100% when the engine is off. Sadly, they appear to be happy to use any minute excuse to get out of fixing an obvious electric design issue, so I'll have to take it apart myself. I completely agree with Arrie in that the relays may be the most likely culprit(pls read his reply below), and will test his hypothesis once I get the car back. Meanwhile, sorry - but no resolution as of yet. Please let me know if you happen to discover the culprit (and I'll be happy to let you know as well is I do).

Thank you,

DimitrySF

Last edited by arp2nr; 12-02-2010 at 06:26 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have this EXACT same problem! The dealership also told me the problem was caused by a spill on the MMI. Please keep post an update on how you were able to fix this.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by reginab
I have this EXACT same problem! The dealership also told me the problem was caused by a spill on the MMI. Please keep post an update on how you were able to fix this.
im dealing with the same exact thing except I have a 2004 audio a8 i spin the dial but doesnt do nothing but I can click it and it works !?? What do I do ??