Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Contis or Michelins on 275-45-19s?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 11:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Contis or Michelins on 275-45-19s?

I need to get new shoes for my car. I need a good summer tire. No snow here in Hawaii. I'm in between Michelin Latitude Sport and Contis DWS or 4X4 SportContact. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Alex
Old 03-01-2010, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally wont buy another Conti ever. Too many failures, no customer support. Too expensive.

Not familiar with the Michelin Latitude, I do like Michelin tires though. If you are looking for handling, look at Yokohama Parada Spec X. So far, love them. Very affordable.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It does not make any difference what size tyre you are purchasing it is all about what performance you want from the tyre. I always go for 1st choice Michelins 2nd choice Pirelli as they give a good mix of performance in all conditions and have excellent durability. This is normally attributable to the price, but there is a saying "you only get what you pay for"

Continental tyres have good performance but their durability is very poor from my experience. Dunlops again are questionable in terms of durability and I have not heard any good reports about Goodyear either.

Your call!
Old 03-04-2010, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Q came with Toyo ST or something like that. They are decent tires. If I were purchasing them, I would probably go with Yokohama tires. I've had them on a few cars and always got good results
Old 03-04-2010, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GBQ7
It does not make any difference what size tyre you are purchasing it is all about what performance you want from the tyre. I always go for 1st choice Michelins 2nd choice Pirelli as they give a good mix of performance in all conditions and have excellent durability. This is normally attributable to the price, but there is a saying "you only get what you pay for"

Continental tyres have good performance but their durability is very poor from my experience. Dunlops again are questionable in terms of durability and I have not heard any good reports about Goodyear either.

Your call!
My first choice are Michelins too. Since I was very limited in options for the 265, Tirerack recommend going one size lower and wider. 275/45/19. The roads here in Hawaii are very bad and I had bad experiences with 45's in another Audi. So I decided to go one size wider and keep the same height. 275/50/19. There were only 3 options on this size. I went with ContiPremiumContact because they are $50 ea. cheaper than the Michs. It had good reviews too. If I can get 25000 to 30000 miles I'll be happy.

Thanks

Alex
Old 03-04-2010, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bmwrt
My first choice are Michelins too. Since I was very limited in options for the 265, Tirerack recommend going one size lower and wider. 275/45/19. The roads here in Hawaii are very bad and I had bad experiences with 45's in another Audi. So I decided to go one size wider and keep the same height. 275/50/19. There were only 3 options on this size. I went with ContiPremiumContact because they are $50 ea. cheaper than the Michs. It had good reviews too. If I can get 25000 to 30000 miles I'll be happy.

Thanks

Alex
I would be highly surprised if you managed to achieve 25-30,000 miles on a Q7(dependant on driving style and conditions).

I would say even at an extra $50 a corner, the Michelins will be the far better tyre on all counts. Maybe with a little negotiation you may even be able to get a good deal on a full/part set, especially if in stock.

I was running Dunlop Sport Max 21" on my Q7 and they were nearly shot at 5,000 miles. There was plenty of tread in the middle of the trye but the outer shoulder was very badly worn (a common problem with 21" wheel option)
Old 03-04-2010, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My vote is on Michelin's too.
I was getting a tire fixed today and was BSing around with them and they said no way to Conti's on the Q7, Michelin's all the way but also said to look at the Goodyear GT2

Not sure if anyone has feedback on the Goodyear GT2 but they said it was a way better tire than the last Goodyears. They said all the other Goodyears suck though.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If you're going to spend for the Conti's or Latitudes why don't you consider the Yoko ADVAN Sport? Great summer tire. You don't need the Parada Spec or Toyo ST/II. Those are all season tires. Other tires to consider are the General Grabber UHP's, and Hankook Ventus ST.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

I couldn't find any Yokohama and Dunlop tires that would fit my vehicle. 265/50/19 are very limited. Tirerack recommend going one size lower which open my options. Like I said 45s would be a little low for Hawaii roads. I was avoiding going Good Years due to so many bad reports. Even on Michelins it was very limited. I found a 275/50/19 but they were $436 ea. So I decided to go ContiExtreme and had them installed yesterday. I'm very impressed with this tire. Its big and fits perfect for here. The grooves are huge!

Thanks
Old 03-05-2010, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how is the road noise on those Conti's?

Quick Reply: Contis or Michelins on 275-45-19s?