Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

cpo Q7-- Tire questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cpo Q7 -- Nexon Rodian Tires?

I picked up a new (to me) CPO 3.6 Q7 today with 29K miles. When I test drove the vehicle, it had almost bald OEM tires (not sure whether they were Goodyear or Conti) tires. The dealer said not to worry as the tires would be replaced during the certification process.

When I picked up the car today, it was equipped with new Nexen Roadian HP tires (20"). I was a little surprised, and thought that the dealer should have put on at least a tire comparable to OEM ones. But I didn't say anything, as I knew nothing about Nexen tires, and didn't want to complaint if they in fact were decent. Frankly, if I had known in advance that the dealer was planning on installing Nexens, I would have expressed a concern.

Are the Nexen tires any good? I've never heard of them before.

If they are crap, should I go back to the dealer and insist on some decent tires?

The tires didn't feel bad driving the handful of miles home, but I haven't got any real miles on them. And as 'm new to this vehicle, I don't know what kind of ride a different tire would provide.

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Last edited by djg21; 10-08-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know much about the specific model that you have, but Nexxen has a a pretty good rep as a whole. I believe they are a Chinese tire company.

I would recommend googling around a bit, but yes they are less expensive than goodyear and michelin, but there is no way the dealer would put expensive tires on a car if they didn't have to.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by arU4ic
I don't know much about the specific model that you have, but Nexxen has a a pretty good rep as a whole. I believe they are a Chinese tire company.

I would recommend googling around a bit, but yes they are less expensive than goodyear and michelin, but there is no way the dealer would put expensive tires on a car if they didn't have to.

From what I've found, they are made in South Korea, and while and off-brand, have a pretty good reputation. I've seen them compared to Kumho and Falcon tires in terms of being an off-brand that it starting to build a reputation as making good tires for the money. I'll drive them, and see how it goes. I understand that I'll be buying tires regularly should I keep the vehicle anyhow.

Last edited by djg21; 10-12-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by djg21
From what I've found, they are made in South Korea, and while and off-brand, are have a pretty good reputation. I've seen them compared to Kumho and Falcon tires in terms of being an off-brand that it starting to build a reputation as making good tires for the money. I'll drive them, and see how it goes. I understand that I'll be buying tires regularly should I keep the vehicle anyhow.
try not to settle when it comes to tires. the 2 things i value in all my vehicles are brakes and tires. i drive my child to daycare almost everyday. i try not to short change anything when it comes to these things.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Those tires are fine... and will treat you fine during their lifetime. Enjoy the ride!
Old 10-12-2010, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Follow-up:

I just got a call from AudiUSA. Nexen tires are not approved by Audi for use on its CPO cars, and the dealer has been instructed to replace the Nexen tires on my vehicle with an OEM-quality tire such as a Michelin, Conti or Pirelli.

I'm glad I inquired.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by djg21
Follow-up:

I just got a call from AudiUSA. Nexen tires are not approved by Audi for use on its CPO cars, and the dealer has been instructed to replace the Nexen tires on my vehicle with an OEM-quality tire such as a Michelin, Conti or Pirelli.

I'm glad I inquired.
interesting.. i wonder if the Toyo's mine came with are approved. Either way I prefer them over the Conti's or GoodYears so its all good.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That is what I understood about the CPO process. Audi is very specific about what will and won't be allowed. I am not surprised they made the dealer swap the tires out for Audi approved units. My 19" OEM Goodyears cost $1200 at the dealer when they were on sale.