Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

cracking seat leather

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 04:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cracking seat leather

We have a 2008 Q7 and the leather on both front seats (bottoms and backs) are cracking. We reported to the dealer in June, at whxih time they said it was a warranty item.

They have been saying the parts are out of stock. Now they are saying it is not a warranty item and want to charge us $800 for one seat bottom.

Anyone had any experience with this?
Old 02-27-2009, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default They must be joking right?

The leather isn't covered under the 4yr.50k warranty? You are still under warranty right? I would be escalating this rapidly. There was an issue with the wood trim cracking on early Touaregs and some dealers would say the trim was a 12mth/12K item and others would replace it for the entire period. You could try another dealer(if you have another close by). Please let us know how this turns out.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default experience with the seat defect, or dealer integrity?

or both?

I would run this up the audi flagpole real fast.

For future dealings, i would suggest that at any time a dealer tells you that it is a warrantable claim, have them to print out a service ticket stating that.

Let me guess, did they say it was a normal wear-n-tear situation? Are you within 12 months/12k miles of your purchase (i'm assuming you are the original owner)?

I hope the dealer resolves this for you...good luck!
Old 02-27-2009, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have some cracks in the driver's seat on my 2007...

I didn't figure it would be covered, but now that you mention it I'm going to inquire at the dealer since I've got to go in for another problem anyway.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Leather is never covered ... we had our driver's side replaced a couple months after delivery though

The drivers side outer bolster rubs on the plastic surround and it cracked the leather there. They replaced the driver's side, no questions asked.

I doubt they would now that it's a year and half old.

Gotta keep some conditioner on the leather, especially if you live where it's sunny and you've got the pano roof. Leather dries out quick.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: cracking seat leather

Seat leather is considered a trim item and is only covered for 12/12, you may ask your dealer ship manager to contact audi and see if they will give you customer assistance on replacement.

Cheers,
Chris Martin
Audi West Covina
Old 02-27-2009, 10:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default It's not the leather that's cracking it is the leatherette side bolsters that are the issue.

Instead of having the whole seat in leather Audi decided to save a few bucks by having vynl on the seat bolsters. The only leather portion is where your but cheeks are other than that it is vynl. In the end Audi has had to replace quite a few including mine and in the end I'm not sure if they are really saving any money by cutting corners with all those seats cracking..
Old 02-27-2009, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ah ... sorry, we've got the full leather option, didn't know about the cracking vinyl.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

milano and cricket upgrades are worth it.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I don't know about that Chris...

Show me where it specifically states the leather is a 12mth/12k item. The whole car is covered 48mths/50K except for items like tires, brakes, wiper blades(which are consumables). Leather seats are not consumable. They should last a "reasonable" amount of time without failing(especially in a $50K+ car). 2 yrs doesn't quite cut it in my book....

Quick Reply: cracking seat leather