Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Creaks in ceiling

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 10:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creaks in ceiling

I have a Q7 TDI and it has developed a creaking sound in the ceiling somewhere around the ceiling console which happens when you go over bumps. Very annoying. Pushing the ceiling with your hand stops it if you hit the right spot.

Now, I had a minor rear-end a month ago (don't you all hate it when you buy a new car and you get rear-ended a month later by a fat cell phone yapping woman). Damage on the outside was minimal (minor scuff on the bumper) however they did replace the impact bar and parts of the hitch, however the body shop swore up and down that the geometry of the car was not affected (it is a supposedly very high end body shop that repairs Aston Martin, Bentley, etc). The problem is that I am not sure whether the creaking started before or after the accident, and I am not sure if it really matters.

Main question: is that something that can be fixed. The creaking is quite annoying.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you have the sunroof?
Old 08-27-2009, 05:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have the sunroof and I am hearing the noise. I have realized that if the back part of the sunroof is tilted up then the noise disappears. Have an appointment for the dealer to check it next week.

Is this common?
Old 08-27-2009, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, it is very common, in fact there is a TSB on it. The dealer will probably just apply a little grease/lube to the gaskets where the two sunroofs meet. It is those hard rubber gaskets rubbing together that seem to make this noise as the "Q" travels down the road

Originally Posted by berns_man
I have the sunroof and I am hearing the noise. I have realized that if the back part of the sunroof is tilted up then the noise disappears. Have an appointment for the dealer to check it next week.

Is this common?
Old 08-27-2009, 12:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by durask
I have a Q7 TDI and it has developed a creaking sound in the ceiling somewhere around the ceiling console which happens when you go over bumps. Very annoying. Pushing the ceiling with your hand stops it if you hit the right spot.

Now, I had a minor rear-end a month ago (don't you all hate it when you buy a new car and you get rear-ended a month later by a fat cell phone yapping woman). Damage on the outside was minimal (minor scuff on the bumper) however they did replace the impact bar and parts of the hitch, however the body shop swore up and down that the geometry of the car was not affected (it is a supposedly very high end body shop that repairs Aston Martin, Bentley, etc). The problem is that I am not sure whether the creaking started before or after the accident, and I am not sure if it really matters.

Main question: is that something that can be fixed. The creaking is quite annoying.
I just had this same problem looked at twice. If I pushed up against the headliner on the drivers side of the dome light, the noise would go away. I only had the problem if the shade for the pano roof was retracted all the way back.

The first time, they tried to apply silicone to the rails and seal but that made no difference. The second time, they applied some felt tape between the headliner and the roof and the noise is mostly gone now. It's still noticeable but at least 75% less. The noise appears to come from the roof but looking at the fix, it apparently is the headliner.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I know people generally really like the sunroof, but this is one of the reasons why I ordered my 2010 TDI with "sunroof delete" option.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

I wouldn't have that problem since I don't have sunroof as well. One less things to worry about.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

The other downer on the sunroof was here in Texas even with the shades drawn the thing just over heats the interior. I am glad I did not get it.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I had this TSB done to my car too. It works! No more noises.