Old 04-24-2009, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't work this is what my grill looks like:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-09...1%7C240%3A1318
Old 07-30-2010, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old post, no idea if you are still out there Biglad but did you ever post pics of the finished product??
Old 07-31-2010, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Nope never finished it, I only got the grill changed. I did have a newly painted set of rood rails but never got around to fitting them.

I sold the car to friend who is going to complete the job I think.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

10/4--I have quite a few projects almost done but never finished myself. What did you end up replacing the Q with-and thanks for the update.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GRNMACHINE
10/4--I have quite a few projects almost done but never finished myself. What did you end up replacing the Q with-and thanks for the update.
I loved the Q7 but doing about 30k per year and it being 3.5years old I needed to change it.Luckly a friend of mine took it off my hands at a very reasonable price.

I replaced it with an R-Class mercedes which is actually a lot better than I expected but I'm not loving it so have been looking for alternatives.

I don't think I'd get another Q7 as I don't actually need 7 full size seats anymore and having driven the R I've realised just how bad it was on fuel. I did consider the Discovery but it's a truck and again I don't really need to the space or truck like handling.

The Volvo XC90 was looking like an excellent contender as they are discounting them by £10k at the moment but it was very noticeably not German and that bothered me plus the engine was all or nothing. Not my cup of tea.

So I'm left still looking at the X5 as an occasional 7 Seater but car like handling with BMW build quality or just keeping the R Class

Si
Old 08-04-2010, 02:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this is about de-chroming but I cannot resist inserting my thoughts about the other SUVs mentioned.

First, I am going to dechrome my new Daytona Grey Q7 when I get it. My 07 is Bahia Beige and is a "soft" look - not suitable for de-chroming. But in grey, it will make for one mean look. I saw a 2010 MB E550, Cobalt Grey (dark) with black-chrome emblems. One mean looking machine.

BMW - love the look, especially the X5 M or with the M styling package. But I need 6 seats, and even for my 1 st graders, the 3rd row rear seat is like sitting in a closet.

Volvo - I rent cars often, and occassionally get S40s. I have also test driven T6s. I have never driven a Volvo I didn't like. Though I have not driven an XC, I am sure I won't be disappointed. The problem with Volvo here in the States is the image. Even my soccer mom wife hates the image.

Oh, she currently drives a R350. If you have the 350, I highly recommend the Sprint Booster throttle adapter. It doesn't add horsepower, but with the lazy throttle gone, the car feels like it gained 50 hp. I may even get one from my new S-Line Prestige. And don't forget, the new Q will have beter fuel economy.

Last edited by Aggie88; 08-04-2010 at 03:05 AM.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Aggie88
I know this is about de-chroming but I cannot resist inserting my thoughts about the other SUVs mentioned.

First, I am going to dechrome my new Daytona Grey Q7 when I get it. My 07 is Bahia Beige and is a "soft" look - not suitable for de-chroming. But in grey, it will make for one mean look. I saw a 2010 MB E550, Cobalt Grey (dark) with black-chrome emblems. One mean looking machine.

BMW - love the look, especially the X5 M or with the M styling package. But I need 6 seats, and even for my 1 st graders, the 3rd row rear seat is like sitting in a closet.

Volvo - I rent cars often, and occassionally get S40s. I have also test driven T6s. I have never driven a Volvo I didn't like. Though I have not driven an XC, I am sure I won't be disappointed. The problem with Volvo here in the States is the image. Even my soccer mom wife hates the image.

Oh, she currently drives a R350. If you have the 350, I highly recommend the Sprint Booster throttle adapter. It doesn't add horsepower, but with the lazy throttle gone, the car feels like it gained 50 hp. I may even get one from my new S-Line Prestige. And don't forget, the new Q will have beter fuel economy.
Thanks for that post. The newer Q7's in the UK have a Blacked option from the factory BTW. I'd love to see pictures of yours when it's done.

I agree with your comments above, the X5 looks very nice and I think I could love that car for a while but it's too small, even my dog would struggle to sit in the rear seats. Volvo's in the UK are seen as a low prestige brand I think, not German but not cheaper mainstream cars like Ford or Vauxhall. and seem very nice but boring to drive, and lack any of the refinement seen in the German Marques.

I have the R320 ( later rebadged as R350 ) which is a good size inside although I only have the SWB 6 Seater and weirdly as it's so low drives much more like a long car than the Q7 did.

Again agree about fuel economy so I guess if I have to go 6/7 seats my only options are
Stay with the R
Get a Q
or jump in bed with the Land Rover Discovery people

So many choices...
Old 08-04-2010, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2011 is slated to arrive in early September. Hope to dechrome in a few weeks thereafter.

LR Discovery? I looked at the website. Lots of HP for the money - but the look and reputation about quality is keeping me away. There really are not many choices for upscale 6/7 seaters.

Quick Reply: De-Chroming / Blackout Part 1